AMD Radeon R9 290X CrossFire Performance

It is NOT anywhere close to be fixed, they just reduced it a bit. To tell the truth, it will never be "fixed", because we don't live in the perfect world. HW fix that NVidia deployed would be nice and much better than driver, but as @Vitalius said not even that will remove it completely.

You are right it will never be perfect, but for all intents and purposes it is "fixed" now compared to what it was before. At the point it is now most people shouldn't notice the stuttering. People sensative to it still will of course, but some of those people can even notice it even on SLI so it's easier to measure to the point where it is fine for most people.

This basically^

It's not fixed the way SLI has it, but it wasn't acceptable before at all. Now it is plenty acceptable to play on, which in my mind is "fixed". At least up to 1080p (or was it 1440p?).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This basically^

It's not fixed the way SLI has it, but it wasn't acceptable before at all. Now it is plenty acceptable to play on, which in my mind is "fixed". At least up to 1080p (or was it 1440p?).

2560x1600. It doesn't work for DX9 or Eyefinity.

Merged Topic OP - Ninja.gif

Some charts have been leaked showing the performance gains from Single > CrossfireX configuration.

achieving up to 198%/200% gain on some games... have to say thats impressive! 

AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-CrossFireX-850x442.jp

The full Article (and more charts) can be found HERE!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

This graph is misleading because it doesn't start at 0.

At first glance, it appears to be about a 120% performance increase from Xfire.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

This graph is deceiving and somewhat bias because it doesn't start at 0.

At first glance, it appears to be about a 120% performance increase from Xfire.

I believe it just to fit the graph on most monitors, as you can see the line at 1.0 clearly shows where the graph really starts. If you read further into the Article you will see them compair them on pure FPS numbers over a GTX780.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I believe it just to fit the graph on most monitors, as you can see the line at 1.0 clearly shows where the graph really starts. If you read further into the Article you will see them compair them on pure FPS numbers over a GTX780.

To fit on monitors? That's not a reason, just resize it like with anything else. It's done to make it look inflated, but it does look promising. I wonder how the microstutter is.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

The image is 850 pixels wide, I can't see how fitting it on any monitor would be a concern, or how that would be a good reason to generate a deceiving graph. Any graph that doesn't start at the origin is misleading. A graphs main purpose is to communicate data quickly by visual representation and at first glance it appears to be more than double performance from Xfire.

Obviously you didn't make the graph and it's still good information so thanks for sharing OP  ;)

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Guys, keep in mind the chart starts a 0.4 and ends at 2.0

how about we talk about the results instead of the chart, near linear scaling in FC3 is pretty cool. 

Error: 410

They say this every generation.

So does NVIDIA.

It's never been true, so colour me surprised if it is this time.

Oh please our beloved Lord, tell us when the hell we'll see a review from you. I'm dying from anxiety waiting for these pieces of silicone to come out...oh please may you have mercy...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

They say this every generation.

So does NVIDIA.

It's never been true, so colour me surprised if it is this time.

i agree Linus. i have yet to see 2x scaling, that will be the day...

i agree Linus. i have yet to see 2x scaling, that will be the day...

I've seen it before. Witcher 2 scales GREAT on NVIDIA for example...

But these graphs that both AMD and NVIDIA show off are always at some kind of weird cherry-picked setting that usually doesn't end up representing what a normal gamer will encounter.

Perhaps GeForce Experience and to a lesser extent Raptr will help with this, but I'm going to take a "wait & see" approach to that too.

Some charts have been leaked showing the performance gains from Single > CrossfireX configuration.

achieving up to 198%/200% gain on some games... have to say thats impressive! 

AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-CrossFireX-850x442.jp

The full Article (and more charts) can be found HERE!

if its true then r9 290x is impressing, it preforms around 10+ more in some games at 2160p :P

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I SWEAR, I've seen this vary same graph on these forums before.

OT: I hope this is how well it scales, but I am entirely doubtful. Could AMD have possibly fixed a specific issue in the past with Crossfire? I doubt it, but it's a possibility.

Just release the cards already AMD...

But these graphs that both AMD and NVIDIA show off are always at some kind of weird cherry-picked setting that usually doesn't end up representing what a normal gamer will encounter.

Perhaps GeForce Experience and to a lesser extent Raptr will help with this, but I'm going to take a "wait & see" approach to that too.

interesting, except the "wait and see" part is starting to become a little lengthy :/

AMD believe they have fixed the Microstutter because the R9-290X doesn't use a software method (via the ribbon cable) instead they now use the PCI-E slot themselves to CrossfireX which is now a Hardware solution and imo Hardware > Software. It clearly shows further into the article how they almost get a 200% scale. I agree however they cherrypick the games that are designed for AMD (Tomb Raider and Crysis3 come to mind) but it still looks like very good results. I know i am waiting for the 290x's to come out so i can fit two into my Eyefinity rig :)

Although i often wonder the difference between PCI 2.0 > PCI 3.0 with theese on crossfire as my setup is running the Crosshair V Formula-Z

Btw your streaming on Twitch at the Nvidia Conference (G-sync) was great.Keep eating that fruit haha.

TechPowerUp released a crossfire review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X_CrossFire/

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Over 80%? Awesome. Even in games that aren't Gaming Evolved titles? Extremely awesome. 

Well, looks like I may have made a good choice in aiming for Crossfire 290X's in the future for 4K. 

But yeah, agreed with lachyman. Frame timing is actually everything in regards to FPS. Otherwise it's just a number.

PCPER said the frametiming issues are less. But the issues are pretty bad in games like skyrim (and older titles) and 4k/surround gaming. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

PCPER said the frametiming issues are less. But the issues are pretty bad in games like skyrim (and older titles) and 4k/surround gaming. 

In regards to 290X crossfire? Or just AMD crossfire in general? Link please. :) And thanks.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

In regards to 290X crossfire? Or just AMD crossfire in general? Link please. :) And thanks.

I'm on mobile so it's kind of a pain. But it's on their site@ pcper.com

The 290x crossfire.

The frame timing issues are a lot better but still are not that great with surround and 4k gaming. And some older titles that are dx9

The implementation of the new drivers along with the new crossfire tech on the 290x helps a lot I guess :) hope this helps

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!