AMD Radeon R9 290X CrossFire Performance

http://videocardz.com/46990/amd-radeon-r9-290x-crossfire-performance-leaks

Original Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-xt-uber-mode-crossfirex-performance-leaked/

By the looks of the graphs, the crossfire scaling seems extremely good even when taking into consideration that its being run on beta drivers. Hopefully the framerating issue is almost non-exsistant and if so, the 290X will definitely be a force to be reckoned with.. especially when 4K gaming.

I want frame timing graphs. Everybody knows that FPS will be insanely high but if there is bad frame timing your FPS is just invalid.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

So expensive..

But so worth it..

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

Over 80%? Awesome. Even in games that aren't Gaming Evolved titles? Extremely awesome. 

Well, looks like I may have made a good choice in aiming for Crossfire 290X's in the future for 4K. 

But yeah, agreed with lachyman. Frame timing is actually everything in regards to FPS. Otherwise it's just a number.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

hey amd what bout stuttering? 

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

I want frame timing graphs. Everybody knows that FPS will be insanely high but if there is bad frame timing your FPS is just invalid.

what is frame timing ?

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

I'll just sit here and wait for charts from a website i trust.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

what is frame timing ?

Time to render a frame, if it's too high it is basically lag/stutter completely independent of your FPS. It was horrid before AMD updated their drivers but it's still there.

Chcek this video, Crysis 3 with HD7990, you can see stutter on 1 side that isn't as obvious on the other side. This would be even better with GTX690 because SLI is already free of these issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIFYyDV3DKs

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Can someone please explain to me what this quiet and uber mode is?

I keep seeing it everywhere but I have no idea what it means.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Time to render a frame, if it's too high it is basically lag/stutter completely independent of your FPS. It was horrid before AMD updated their drivers but it's still there.

Chcek this video, Crysis 3 with HD7990, you can see stutter on 1 side that isn't as obvious on the other side. This would be even better with GTX690 because SLI is already free of these issues:

thanks

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

Some of those 4k bench's look CPU limited

Wait for proper overclocked CPU based review site bench's for 1080-1600p

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Can someone please explain to me what this quiet and uber mode is?

I keep seeing it everywhere but I have no idea what it means.

the card will intentionally underclock itself to keep temps, and therefore fan speeds, low. uber is the opposite, all of the performance, noise be damned

the card will intentionally underclock itself to keep temps, and therefore fan speeds, low. uber is the opposite, all of the performance, noise be damned

That definitely sounds like a cool software feature. Is this a 290X only thing or does it trickle down to the  R7 270's and such?

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

That definitely sounds like a cool software feature. Is this a 290X only thing or does it trickle down to the  R7 270's and such?

It appears to be 290x only, maybe the 290 as well. Apparently there is a hardware switch on the card to change modes. It was mentioned in another thread that these are designed to handle up to 95c so I'd guess Uber mode will push out some insane heat. It wouldn't suprise me if the 290 and 290x were crazy power hungry too.

thanks

I think "free of such issues" is a bit ... well ... wrong. Frame timing exists on all solutions (single or multi-GPU), but is more noticeable on Multi-GPU, and even more noticeable on AMD's Crossfire. SLI is better, but the problem still exists, it's just handled better. For now. 

We still don't know about how the whole PCI-E rather than CFX bridge changes things, if it even does. And I would guess it does. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

WHAT ABOUT STUTTERING

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

WHAT ABOUT STUTTERING

No need to yell. Frame time is fixed on DX11 titles up to a resolution of 2560x1600. AMD is working on fixes for everything else. The article mentioned that AMD's new way of doing CFX might have fixed it in general on the 290/290x.

WHAT ABOUT STUTTERING

YELLING_a6e43b_3035762.jpg

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Scaling seems good, consistently around 180% which is what they advertised, even more in some instances.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Pretty freaking impressive, I must say.

Hopefully this time it's smooooooooottth.

No need to yell. Frame time is fixed on DX11 titles up to a resolution of 2560x1600. AMD is working on fixes for everything else. The article mentioned that AMD's new way of doing CFX might have fixed it in general on the 290/290x.

It is NOT anywhere close to be fixed, they just reduced it a bit. To tell the truth, it will never be "fixed", because we don't live in the perfect world. HW fix that NVidia deployed would be nice and much better than driver, but as @Vitalius said not even that will remove it completely.

yeah no

It is NOT anywhere close to be fixed, they just reduced it a bit. To tell the truth, it will never be "fixed", because we don't live in the perfect world. HW fix that NVidia deployed would be nice and much better than driver, but as @Vitalius said not even that will remove it completely.

You haven't tested the new cards, so ssshhhhhhh.....

You are right it will never be perfect, but for all intents and purposes it is "fixed" now compared to what it was before. At the point it is now most people shouldn't notice the stuttering. People sensative to it still will of course, but some of those people can even notice it even on SLI so it's easier to measure to the point where it is fine for most people.