Pimp My WiFi Ep. 2

Welp that pimp talk after the intro sounded more like redneck. Nice vid tho.

when was the last time linuses neighbor drove his car ?

car.png

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

This outfit... I need to bleach my eyes :S I love the way everybody keeps calm while Linus runs around among them dressed up like that.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

I think its a bit sad that you promoted every single product in the video description (which is totally fine) but not your neighbour. Like, just do him a favor and link his online shop or email for business...

Video was nice tho :)

Also, why don't you ever use powerlan? You reviewed it as a potent home user solution in an old NCIX video once. Not like your neighbour is gonna donwload more than 37.5 Megabytes a second... So why drill holes in walls?

wow that background music is a total miss, should have been something not designed to be played at a Mormon family camping trip

The End is Near

Most recent benchmark: Click

pimp my wifi episode 3 you come to my house and install a gigabit connection and ethernet in every room along with wireless access.

no? okay then?

I lurk a lot

34 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

Here is a wallpaper everyone can enjoy:

:)

pimpmywifi_by_tiberiusmoon-dajakw7.png

Nice!!! That's awesome.

Would you mind if I posted that on the LTT Twitter? Obviously will credit you (either your forum name or can tag you there if you'd prefer).

Loving the episode, but someone in the office, please do this:

Find that suit + hat and burn it.  Do the world a favor. :)

Thanks for the new vid. Would love additional videos on Wi-fi setup and configuration, security, etc. from LTT. :)

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Nice!!! That's awesome.

Would you mind if I posted that on the LTT Twitter? Obviously will credit you (either your forum name or can tag you there if you'd prefer).

Sure!

here is my DA if anyone wants to see more :3 http://tiberiusmoon.deviantart.com/

9 hours ago, Simonky16 said:

Also, why don't you ever use powerlan? You reviewed it as a potent home user solution in an old NCIX video once. Not like your neighbour is gonna donwload more than 37.5 Megabytes a second... So why drill holes in walls?

i saw said video, and powerlan isn't as quick as 100% Ethernet cabling, that and cabling the house is basically future proofing the home for whoever moves in next and may or may not use the networking

powerlan is a better idea when your renting an apartment or a home where you cant get approval to make improvements

Regarding the video, its nice to see that Linus repays his debts in the most overkill ways possible

Linus is an Alabama pimp named Wy Fy that only seeks to network. Wy Fy's mostly known for showing up, completely changing the way the your home/small business network is and upgrading it. While wearing clothes that Macklemore found at the thrift shop, that is claimed to be once worn by Lady GaGa.

The US and Canadian government have unsuccessfully tried to track Wy Fy but he's better than their best. 

Some say at the end of the episode Wy Fy uploads himself to the internet and waits to find the next person he believes will benefit from his help.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

11 hours ago, Simonky16 said:

Because powerline is a stop-gap solution. The way they set this up is essentially how you'd setup a small business, school or large shop. And frankly, they wouldn't have saved that much replacing the ethernet runs with powerline anyway. That's not the expensive part of this setup. Especially if the powerpoints aren't in the right spots. It'd cost as much to get a contractor to put a new powerpoint in as it would put a network port in. And it'd be more messy not less.

Anyways, if you want to get nitpicky about how they did it here's what I'd estimate the cost breakdown would be:

Contractor run cabling, 4x runs: ~$400CA (assuming canada rates are similar to AU)

5x Powerline adapters: $150CA ~ $300CA (your solution, assuming they didn't have to put in new points)

3x UAP-AC-Pro: ~$700CA

Ubiquiti USG: ~$170CA

Cloud Key: ~$140CA

Ubiquiti Unifi PoE Switch: ~$400CA

To save money? With an ADSL connection the USG is a bit overkill. It lights up all the lights on the UniFi controller dashboard but that's about it. Ubiquiti has some fairly cheap edgerouters which would have done just as good a job for about half the price. A bit trickier to configure? Sure, maybe. But it's being setup for them anyways. The cloud key? It's not really that necessary. They could have put the controller on one of those mini-PCs. At that point the switch is also completely unnecessary, there are PoE injectors in the box for the APs.

Speaking of the APs, they probably could have gotten away with an AC Lite and an AC LR. Maybe with a 5Ghz only outdoor UAP for the backyard. No zero-handoff but for the amount you save you probably wouldn't miss it. All up? Probably save about a grand if they had done it that way. And I doubt that the end result would have been much different. Still a massive improvement over what was there before. And still spending enough on hardware that the running of cables is a bit of a non-issue in terms of cost.

...... but it's a sponsored video. And it's a video. So what point is there being sensible? If you want to get views you go for the best. If you want to advertise your products you put as many products as you can in the video. If you think this video is bad because their choice of components wasn't perfect? I think you missed the point. I'd personally argue that it's one of the better "extreme home user network setup" videos on the internet.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Idea for new episode: Instead of featuring equipment nobody here would ever afford or maybe even see in their lifetime, what about a guide for using an array of older or less expensive routers as APs. You'd lose the handover abilities, but it's more realistic to most users.

43 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

Idea for new episode: Instead of featuring equipment nobody here would ever afford or maybe even see in their lifetime, what about a guide for using an array of older or less expensive routers as APs. You'd lose the handover abilities, but it's more realistic to most users.

The budget version of this video would be basically the same thing again. Just with the cheaper SKUs for the various components. Because if you go much cheaper than that? You're basically making an unboxing and setup video for an off the shelf router/AP combo unit.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

4 minutes ago, skywake said:

The budget version of this video would be basically the same thing again. Just with the cheaper SKUs for the various components. Because if you go much cheaper than that? You're basically making an unboxing and setup video for an off the shelf router/AP combo unit.

He went over none of the steps for setting up wifi or a network in this video. Almost nothing was learned in this video pertaining to setting up APs or a network beyond "pay other people to do it".

An N300 router is 20-30 USD. and AC1200 router is 30-40 USD. Free if it happens to be your old router anyway.

Instructions for setting up "wireless routers" as APs and having them co-exist with other "wireless routers" are not the same as setting up a router itself. And certainly not the same as the instructions if you bought an "AP". "Wireless routers" are readily and cheaply available and routinely go on sale. APs, not so much.

not impressed with the hardware choice. If hardware acceleration was on the table the mikrotik hEX would make a cheaper and better router. Other than the goofy outfit this is a really good episode. Introducing non consumer hardware into homes as consumer routers tend to suck.

Modems should be as close as possible to the cabinet, than run ethernet to the router.

What i would like to see is a more complicated network implemented from the dark ages. Take an office that has been using ISP provided router/vpn router(those ancient platforms that run low frequency MIPS) for fast internet but needs many things, from a big/ multi level office to cover to things like the servers and services that should be done all the way down to the configuration and segmentation of the switch and router. Use a UTM or a router like pfsense/mikrotik for implementation of firewall and QoS and all the other features the router has to offer. Dont forget the vpn on router set up as well and the security of the office (IP cams, sensors, etc)

I would also like to see coverage on some products that werent shown. Ubiquiti has smart power strips that allow power to be save remotely by scheduling or even powering things remotely.

I would also like to see an episode of creating a monster wifi AP which is done by taking an x86 desktop and adding many of the best wifi cards to it and pushing things to the limit to see if you can make a better AP than the AC5300 for less and make full use of 10Gb/s network on the wired side to handle all that wifi for things like linus's office media processing and storage servers or even remote desktop gaming.