Cooler Master Trigger Z Mechanical Keyboard Launched

Mysticode

"Choose your backlight for any MX switch EXCEPT BROWN BECAUSE FCK YOU THAT'S WHY!"

I thought this was finally going to be the MX brown with red backlight.

Screw it, I'm building my own f?/()"&¤/( keyboard.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Other than the cool look, do people honestly care about backlighting? When i'm using my computers at night without putting on my lights, I don't need a backlight because I can touchtype... Am I the only one who thinks that backlight are nearly useless??

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Other than the cool look, do people honestly care about backlighting? When i'm using my computers at night without putting on my lights, I don't need a backlight because I can touchtype... Am I the only one who thinks that backlight are nearly useless??

I couldn't buy a non backlit keyboard. It looks so much cooler imo

I couldn't buy a non backlit keyboard. It looks so much cooler imo

Is it even noticeable during the day though? I agree that it looks awesome, but I still wouldn't spend dozens of more dollars if I can only see it at night. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Yes.

I love the look of a backlit keyboard, and it lets me have a lower light in the room if I'm watching a movie, or have a headache but still need to do work.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

My point is that the Keyboard looks like a direct clone of the BW 2013. Except for the switch options and the backlighting, I dont see any other qualitative benefit of this keyboard over the BW unless it is of course cheaper. Thats my point. Its essentially a clone.

I'm not sure what you're comparing...they have quite a few differences. The CM has a larger wrist rest, different LED's above the number pad.

Seriously, it's a keyboard. They have a pretty standard layout. Not sure what you really expect. That's like saying Filco and Ducky keyboards are clones of each other, or that any touch screen phone is just an Iphone copy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm not sure what you're comparing...they have quite a few differences. The CM has a larger wrist rest, different LED's above the number pad.

Seriously, it's a keyboard. They have a pretty standard layout. Not sure what you really expect. That's like saying Filco and Ducky keyboards are clones of each other, or that any touch screen phone is just an Iphone copy.

The 5 macro keys along the side is what is obvious, other than that, the secondary key function symbol/design along with the very font of all keys on the board stand out to me also. I cant comment on Duckys or Filcos other than I dont like Ducky keyboards..at all. And your iphone example doesnt make sense to me. Im not generalizing any layout with qwerty keys and a key pad as a copy, I am talking about the above points. 

The overall build quality of the BW, heavy braided cable, software along with the audio/mic USB pass through make it tough to beat. Especially when I see this as a clone attempt

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Is it even noticeable during the day though? I agree that it looks awesome, but I still wouldn't spend dozens of more dollars if I can only see it at night.

Yes it's quite noticeable during the day. Less striking but still noticeable.

I have a tirgger pro and I am not going to lie, I am not a fan of the series but hopefully this one comes with a wrist wrest or is at least not as thick.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

It better cool your palms while gaming cause if not I'd start to think cooler master is losing their way.

"Multiple choices of switched and backlighting"

Yes thank you finally. I want blue switches with white backlighting, it's been so hard to find one.

CM Storm MECH has all white backlight on all switches and chould be available in Cherry MX Blues...: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/MECH/ 

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

My point is that the Keyboard looks like a direct clone of the BW 2013. Except for the switch options and the backlighting, I dont see any other qualitative benefit of this keyboard over the BW unless it is of course cheaper. Thats my point. Its essentially a clone.

This looks almost the same as the first trigger style wose except in black. Also go look at older black widows. Also razer's keyboard arnt the most "quality" unlike cm storm who uses top tier oem's

No weird layout...GOOD! This is a nice looking keyboard from CM.

Anyone know who the OEM for it is?

Based on the fact that the first one was costar and it had a standard bottom row my guess is costar.

can anyone tell me the difference between this Trigger Z and my Trigger. Because the only differences I can see are that the USB port is full sized which is really nice as the mini USB is a tab wobbly in the port. It won't break and is well built but it's just a bit wobbly. Are there any other differences. Unlike others I actually prefer to have a full sized enter key and short backspace key and long shift. But I am from the UK so it might just be a cultural thing.

Kinda is that keyboard pictured is ansi uk uses iso which is exactly what you described. I would be surprised if they make iso versions as well as they did with their other boards.

Love my original trigger. Only improvement on this one I would have really liked would have been the full size USB plug, but it looks like that comes at the cost of the built in USB hub.

I prefer usb pass through or no usb on the board at all persoanally.

This looks almost the same as the first trigger style wose except in black. Also go look at older black widows. Also razer's keyboard arnt the most "quality" unlike cm storm who uses top tier oem's

Nope. The BW came out first around 2010 I believe while the CM storm Trigger came out in 2012. It was literally a key for key clone. Dont take my word for it, read this review on the early BW Ultimate and the CM Storm original Trigger. Let me say this again, CM made a BW clone. This "new version" is no different. The new BW 2013 edition is extremely solid and it's construction is nothing like how you describe it. You might be talking about the old BWs. I dont know

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Nope. The BW came out first around 2010 I believe while the CM storm Trigger came out in 2012. It was literally a key for key clone. Dont take my word for it, read this review on the early BW Ultimate and the CM Storm original Trigger. Let me say this again, CM made a BW clone. This "new version" is no different. The new BW 2013 edition is extremely solid and it's construction is nothing like how you describe it. You might be talking about the old BWs. I dont know

Would just like to point out that its a keyboard so only so much can be done. Do you know how many mechanical gaming keyboards I can list that are full size and have a row of macros on the left? Im assuming all of those are also clones of the blackwidow then also? Also they didnt clone it because it doesnt have that stupid off set F row. And yes, I have use the two previous versions, well one previous and its revision. Maybe they fixed the quality wasnt hard since before it was really really poor not to mention other issues especially with the first revision. Also as I said before out of the gate CM has an advantage since theyre using a better OEM. I actually have a good number of razer products that is just not one ill ever buy or recommend as long as a better option is available.

Would just like to point out that its a keyboard so only so much can be done. Do you know how many mechanical gaming keyboards I can list that are full size and have a row of macros on the left? Im assuming all of those are also clones of the blackwidow then also? Also they didnt clone it because it doesnt have that stupid off set F row. And yes, I have use the two previous versions, well one previous and its revision. Maybe they fixed the quality wasnt hard since before it was really really poor not to mention other issues especially with the first revision. Also as I said before out of the gate CM has an advantage since theyre using a better OEM. I actually have a good number of razer products that is just not one ill ever buy or recommend as long as a better option is available.

Look, I can speak about the BW Ultimate 2013. Its build quality is second to none. I dont know about the CM line, but they made a BW clone. Its a fact. The font is almost the exact same. The secondary key function design and style across the top of the keyboard is exactly the same. The same 5 macro keys on the left.

Do you know how many mechanical gaming keyboards I can list that are full size and have a row of macros on the left? Im assuming all of those are also clones of the blackwidow then also? Also they didnt clone it because it doesnt have that stupid off set F row. 

Dont get it twisted. Im not saying all cars with 4 wheels are ferrari knock offs. Understand that CM took the exactl same design cues as the BW and spun it off..Look at their keyboards before the Storm Trigger and compare it the the BWUltimate. Look, Im not trying to argue with you. Its a clone. Go find me a keyboard that looks like the BW Ultimate 2013 and then make that argument. Dont waste your time, the only one that is a spitting image of the BW is the CM Storm. Because it's a clone. 

Look, I can speak about the BW Ultimate 2013. Its build quality is second to none. I dont know about the CM line, but they made a BW clone. Its a fact. The font is almost the exact same. The secondary key function design and style across the top of the keyboard is exactly the same. The same 5 macro keys on the left.

Dont get it twisted. Im not saying all cars with 4 wheels are ferrari knock offs. Understand that CM took the exactl same design cues as the BW and spun it off..Look at their keyboards before the Storm Trigger and compare it the the BW. Look, Im not trying to argue with you. Its a clone. Go find me a keyboard that looks like the BW and then make that argument. Dont waste your time, the only one that is a spitting image of the BW is the CM Storm. Because it's a clone.

Here are some that have the same or very similar layout that I can remember:

Roccat Ryos MK Pro (or any of that line or older ones)

Logitch G710

I think thermaltake had one as well

Also another thing is that most keyboards are actually OEM designs that the manufactures tweak. Sometimes, many times theyll just slap on a different coat of paint and call it their own. I can actually name a few different times this has happened. And for the style, its a gaming keyboard...

Also the media keys are located like that on many boards that have them imbedded in the F-Row, this is likely due to what I mentioned above also because of the fact that the more similar layout are between keyboards the better in most cases. Many of these layout and design queues have been taken form rubber done boards older than the blackwidow.

I would also like point out that the quality of the blackwidow is actually second to many and unless you pulled it apart to check you wouldnt know but just going from outside build quality of keycap quality there are many that best it.

Here are some that have the same or very similar layout that I can remember:

Roccat Ryos MK Pro (or any of that line or older ones)

Logitch G710

I think thermaltake had one as well

Also another thing is that most keyboards are actually OEM designs that the manufactures tweak. Sometimes, many times theyll just slap on a different coat of paint and call it their own. I can actually name a few different times this has happened. And for the style, its a gaming keyboard...

Also the media keys are located like that on many boards that have them imbedded in the F-Row, this is likely due to what I mentioned above also because of the fact that the more similar layout are between keyboards the better in most cases. Many of these layout and design queues have been taken form rubber done boards older than the blackwidow.

I would also like point out that the quality of the blackwidow is actually second to many and unless you pulled it apart to check you wouldnt know but just going from outside build quality of keycap quality there are many that best it.

Untitled.png

None of these look anything like the BWUlt or the CM Storm Triggers. None of thes keyboards are OEMs. Unless they sell them as OEMs its not an OEM. Its unlawful to advertise something as original manufactured product when it is in fact not. If you could provide me with a source that says that BWs are in fact OEMs or CM Storms are OEMs then Id entertain that argument. In my experience, the BWU is the best keyboard for everyday use. Thats my opinion. If there are better keyboards, I have yet to find them. Ive tried out alot by the way. 

Untitled.png

None of these look anything like the BWUlt or the CM Storm Triggers. None of thes keyboards are OEMs. Unless they sell them as OEMs its not an OEM. Its unlawful to advertise something as original manufactured product when it is in fact not. If you could provide me with a source that says that BWs are in fact OEMs or CM Storms are OEMs then Id entertain that argument. In my experience, the BWU is the best keyboard for everyday use. Thats my opinion. If there are better keyboards, I have yet to find them. Ive tried out alot by the way.

I just provided keyboards with the same basic layout...

They do use different OEM's and I wouldnt be surprised if the trigger was a OEM design. The QFR was and was based on the design of the Filco TKL. I have used both boards and their profile and designs of their cases are completely different the black widow feels empty and hollow plasticy and the trigger more solid.

If you want to see some keyboards that are the same look at the WASD V1, Mionix Zibal 60, the thermaltake meka G1. They all use the exact same OEM base. There are a bunch of boards that use the same base as the XArmor ones at the moment im forgetting the OEM though but if at the Max Keyboards Nighthawk series it shares that oem design. I dont know what your on about with the OEM stuff and what not but this is common place in a ton of industries especially on lower end stuff. In the cases of mech boards its far cheaper and quicker to use a OEM design than go through the through the trouble of making your own since the similarities will be small unless you decide to add or chance something drastic. A good example is the Ryos MK Pro as its basically fully programmable lighting and key wise.

Here is a pic of the board im currently using that I recently posted in the mech board club.

IMG_0180.jpg

I just provided keyboards with the same basic layout...

They do use different OEM's and I wouldnt be surprised if the trigger was a OEM design. The QFR was and was based on the design of the Filco TKL. I have used both boards and their profile and designs of their cases are completely different the black widow feels empty and hollow plasticy and the trigger more solid.

If you want to see some keyboards that are the same look at the WASD V1, Mionix Zibal 60, the thermaltake meka G1. They all use the exact same OEM base. There are a bunch of boards that use the same base as the XArmor ones at the moment im forgetting the OEM though but if at the Max Keyboards Nighthawk series it shares that oem design. I dont know what your on about with the OEM stuff and what not but this is common place in a ton of industries especially on lower end stuff. In the cases of mech boards its far cheaper and quicker to use a OEM design than go through the through the trouble of making your own since the similarities will be small unless you decide to add or chance something drastic. A good example is the Ryos MK Pro as its basically fully programmable lighting and key wise.

Those keyboards do look similar. Whether they share the same overall base design, or if its public standard or not is immaterial. The BWU looks nothing like anything else in the market. Along comes the CM Storm Trigger 2 yrs later then the Trigger Z 4 yrs later. Whether Razer sold its base design to CM or whether CM copied the design as close as possible without calling it a technical clone, its a clone nonetheless. Unless you can find another keyboard with as similar of a design as the CM Trigger/Z has to the BWU, then we can say no one else is cloning the BWU. Its just CM thats doing it. And your argument about keyboards being keyboards isnt right either because with the examples you referred to, Ive shown that although there are 5 macros per kb, they are quite different in design and overall layout. 

Those keyboards do look similar. Whether they share the same overall base design, or if its public standard or not is immaterial. The BWU looks nothing like anything else in the market. Along comes the CM Storm Trigger 2 yrs later then the Trigger Z 4 yrs later. Whether Razer sold its base design to CM or whether CM copied the design as close as possible without calling it a technical clone, its a clone nonetheless. Unless you can find another keyboard with as similar of a design as the CM Trigger/Z has to the BWU, then we can say no one else is cloning the BWU. Its just CM thats doing it. And your argument about keyboards being keyboards isnt right either because with the examples you referred to, Ive shown that although there are 5 macros per kb, they are quite different in design and overall layout.

They use different OEM so that would not be the case as I have said that from the beginning. The easiiest way to tell nowdays in the bottom row. They only look similar somewhat top down and have a similar layout but the f-row is different in a good way, as well as the bottom row is more standard on the trigger, some of the spacing also differs, and the case of it is completely different from ever angle. Either way its not copied or cloned, there is only so much you can do and trust if one company though the other was copying them they would make a lawsuit. A good example would be what happened to the original Nyko Kama Nunchuck controller.

It feels like im hitting my head on a brick wall with you. You seem to be thinking like apple in the way patenting "slide to unlock" and "rounded corners on icons" is ok. The layout is similar so its a clone!

It feels like im hitting my head on a brick wall with you. You seem to be thinking like apple in the way patenting "slide to unlock" and "rounded corners on icons" is ok. The layout is similar so its a clone!

Lets agree to disagree. Ive cited an external source that says it's a clone, Ive also made my own subjective and objective points on why I think its a clone. Ive even refuted your examples of what constitutes a generic 5 macro layout keyboard and how those are not infact similar to any other 5 macro layout board. Other than that, if you want to call me an apple thinking patent lawyer then go ahead. At least I know Im not the only one that thinks so. 

Kinda is that keyboard pictured is ansi uk uses iso which is exactly what you described. I would be surprised if they make iso versions as well as they did with their other boards.

It's generally just improvements over the last Trigger. It has a full sized USB into the keyboard. The back is coloured Red I think so the LED's are more effective. The layout will depend on your region though. I prefer to have a full sized fat enter key, long backspace, long shift snf small stubby left shift, CapsLock and Tab.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard