Corsair Air 740 Review

I'm so sorry Luke. Here, have a coat. 

We're all weird. Just in our own, unique way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Student of game design, nerd and relative loner. Been playing on PC on and off since I could first sit at a keyboard.

Still trying to learn level 1 Fireball.

SPECS

Desktop (Batman): XPS 8300 - Intel i7-2600 - 8GB DDR3 1066 - Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Asus GeForce GTX 760 - Dual Dell 1080p monitors

Laptop (Nightwing): Asus TP300LA - Intel i5-4210u - 8GB DDR3 1666 - 500GB HDD - Intel HD 4400 - 1080p 13.3" touchscreen

Why's that panel thingie NOT a floppy bay?? Please, Corsair, the very first thing anyone looking at it from the outside would think is "floppy!", why is it not such thing??

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Why's that panel thingie NOT a floppy bay?? Please, Corsair, the very first thing anyone looking at it from the outside would think is "floppy!", why is it not such thing??

Maybe they designed and manufactured it WITH a floppy slot, then realized it was 2016 and were like "We'll just keep it a secret to avoid the embarrassment."

Or maybe not. Probably not. That would be funny though.

Still enough room in that case they could have squeezed an optical drive for us Dinosaurs that don't want to give up our physical media just yet.

A reflection in the case window makes it look like Luke has 3 arms for a moment there.

14 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Still enough room in that case they could have squeezed an optical drive for us Dinosaurs that don't want to give up our physical media just yet.

This case is being delivered to me next week for my new build and i bought a optical drive for it. Woops. I am thinking i can mount it inside somehow since there is so much room.

2 minutes ago, Mulface said:

This case is being delivered to me next week for my new build and i bought a optical drive for it. Woops. I am thinking i can mount it inside somehow since there is so much room.

When I first saw it a few weeks ago trying to pick my case for my build (which I still haven't done) I was thinking maybe remove that one HDD cage over the power Supply, stand the disc drive on its side and mod the rear panel so the optical drive opens on the back of the PC, not super convenient but when you need it, it's there.

13 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

@nicklmg

That link you posted " Buy Corsair Air 740 on Amazon " links me to the -Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case-

Is...was...this intentional? o.O

It's a geo-targeted link that is linked to a search string. If the 740 isn't available in your region, it probably comes up with the 540 as the closest replacement (search-wise).

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

It's a geo-targeted link that is linked to a search string. If the 740 isn't available in your region, it probably comes up with the 540 as the closest replacement (search-wise).

Probably should have mentioned that there is NO Amazon delivery in my country unless your desire is paperbacks. Only clicked the link so you (LMG) would get the stats and trackbacks (analytics). :D

Love your work BTW.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

I don't really get manufacturers not including filters everywhere. I went and added after market DECMI ones to my case as there were several 'open air' holes including the top. It made a huge difference, I basically never have to think about cleaning it now as high quality fan filters stop most of thee dust.

. . . . its a 540 without the dvd drive slots, added fan slots at the bottom and a hinged side panel. . .

I would have liked to see corsair shrink the PSU compartment to the height of the psu and build the drive cages around that.

If corsair wanted to improve on the whole "seperate heat sources" thing they could make a panel that fixes above the first gpu slot,

and have grommits and so on like you would with a case with a basement seperating the cpu and gpu heat source. (like a second floor)

with the second floor you could pop out a panel near the front to allow extra radiator room and use the floor to store a custom loop reservior on it passing tubing through the grommits.

the second floor panel will be strong having a slight lip on the edge near the window making it a good place to store led lighting.

9 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

When I first saw it a few weeks ago trying to pick my case for my build (which I still haven't done) I was thinking maybe remove that one HDD cage over the power Supply, stand the disc drive on its side and mod the rear panel so the optical drive opens on the back of the PC, not super convenient but when you need it, it's there.

Just buy an external drive or an external enclosure for your current drive.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

Just buy an external drive or an external enclosure for your current drive.

I JUST bought a 5.25" BluRay burner, to get an external enclosure for that would cost nearly as much as the drive itself cost, not to mention the enclosure is HIDEOUS, trust me I already looked at that route, for me I would either mod the case to hold the drive or store the drive in a drawer unless I need it and when I do need it pop off the right side panel (exposing the power supply) and plug in internally.

Atleast they fixed the ssd bay height. In 540 it was on the height of the backplate and even blocking potential CPU cable routes. The dust filters are again a buzzkill for me.

I think it's ugly as sin. Looks kind of like a section of tank tread.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

14 hours ago, nicklmg said:

I never bother with clicking on those promotional links as they aren't suitable to people in Middle-earth.

It shows me the Corsair Carbide Air 540 as well, only $134.99 + $137.60 shipping. At least I would save $15 right?

Then again, the local prices aren't much better.

I wouldn't consider getting a dual compartment case unless the hidden compartment was bottom to top HDD storage.

17 hours ago, nicklmg said:

~snip~

Very nice review of the case guys, been waiting to hear from LTT about it for a while now! :D

It's a shame for me though because it doesn't like I can transfer my old Optical-Drive into this new case if I were to ever buy one.

I mean, I would easily get one but.... oh well. As mentioned, very nice review!

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

23 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

Return / swap the optical drive for a Silverstone slim drive unit (SOD02 or SOB02), that would mean you could be ALOT more creative with your build. Not having to worry about a tray that slides in and out.

These are "slim" drives also known as "slot" drives, many Laptops utilise them.

Optical Storage DVD combo optical drive SOD02 AUD$85

Optical Storage Blu-ray / DVD / CD disc SOB02 AUD$169

This bay device the FP58 is for mounting the slim optical drive, it also holds up to 4 SSDs comes in black and brushed silver. So you could then remove the
2.5” drive bay cage above the PSU.

Would look great if you could line up the hole in the side panel with the FP58 facia.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

1 minute ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Return / swap the optical drive for a Silverstone slim drive unit (SOD02 or SOB02), that would mean you could be ALOT more creative with your build. Not having to worry about a tray that slides in and out.

These are "slim" drives also known as "slot" drives, many Laptops utilise them.

Optical Storage DVD combo optical drive SOD02 AUD$85

Optical Storage Blu-ray / DVD / CD disc SOB02 AUD$169

This bay device the FP58 is for mounting the slim optical drive, it also holds up to 4 SSDs comes in black and brushed silver. So you could then remove the
2.5” drive bay cage above the PSU.

Would look great if you could line up the hole in the side panel with the FP58 facia.

that bluray slot drive costs more then my bluray drive and an external enclosure, Don't worry about, I'll sort it out once I settle on what case i'm gonna go with.

So plastic, so ugly, so cheap looking. It looks like it came out around the same time as the Antec 900. Why is there so much unnecessary plastic around the outside? I still prefer the look of the old 540. With all that extra plastic you would think they could have made fan filters slide in and out easily without having to remove anything.