What do you have to carefully read when buying a graphic card?

jdjinn

Hi,

I´m a beginner here and just found that there are way to many model for each graphic card for example the gtx 1070.

here in this page you find 23 models of it: http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294966937+4294854051+4294852533&NTX=&NTT=&NTK=all&page=1&sortby=pricelow

Are the quality of 1070 graphic cards of asus, gigabite, MSI etc... different? if yes, which are considered to be the best?

I just don´t understand many of the infos there, so I asume the more/higher the better it is, but may be I´m wrong. can you correct me where the more/higher is not the better :) ?

And the parts I really don´t get are in bold.  What should I expect in those topics?

I really could be grateful, if you could help me to better  understand what I should have in mind to buy the best option or advice friends. 

Thanks

Chipset
Form Factor Standard
GPU Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU Chipset GeForce GTX 1070
Overclocked Yes --> if yes, better?
Core Clock Speed 1556MHz --> the higher the better?
Boost Core Clock Speed 1746MHz --> the higher the better?
Maximum Digital Resolution 7680 x 4320 --> the higher the better?
Maximum Analog Resolution 4096 x 2160 --> the higher the better?
Max Monitors Supported 4 --> the higher the better?
Memory
Memory Type GDDR5 --> the higher the better?
Memory Clock Speed 8008MHz --> the higher the better?
Video Memory 8 GB --> the higher the better?
Memory Bus 256-bit --> the higher the better?
General
VR Ready Yes  --> if yes, better?
OpenGL Support OpenGL 4.5 --> the higher the better?
DirectX Support DirectX 12 --> the higher the better?
Shader Model Support 5.0 --> the higher the better?
Multi-GPU Support NVidia SLI --> What is this?:o (is it important while buying a graphic card?)
HDCP Support Yes  --> if yes, better?
3D Ready Yes  --> if yes, better?
Cooling Fan --> no bad, isn´t it?
Features
Features NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready; NVIDIA CUDA Technology; NVIDIA PhysX Technology --> What is this?:o What features should be the best?
Connectors
DVI 2 x Dual-Link DVI-D ---> the more the better?
HDMI 1 x HDMI --->  the higher the better?
DisplayPort 1 x DisplayPort the ---> higher the better? (which connector is better?)
System Requirements
Supported Windows Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
Interface PCIe 3.0 x16 --> What is this?:o (is it important while buying a graphic card?)
Thermal & Power
Power Supply Requirements 500 Watt Power Supply ---> the more the better?
Power Connectors 1 x PCI-E 8-pin ---> the more the better?
Physical Specifications
Width Dual Slot ---> the more the better?
Package Contents
What's in the Box Gigabyte GV-N1070IXOC-8GD Video Card
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 3 Years
Labor 3 Years

One simple rule,  more and higher is always better. Not temps if course.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

26 minutes ago, Praesi said:

One simple rule,  more and higher is always better. Not temps if course.

Or price. Or power consumption. Or physical size. Or decibel readings.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1) get one with a 2-3 fan cooler

2) get one that looks good to you

3) get one that's not expensive

That's pretty much everything. You can ignore the specs because they are all the same card and will all perform the same on average.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

With the new 1070 and 1080 cards there is very little difference in how they will preform. so I would look at things like Warranty, size, Looks, reviews and what kind of case you will be putting the gpu in.  Now the 1060 is a different story there are 2 versions ones a 3GB card that is shaved down a bit and there is a 6GB version 

Make sure it fits in your case

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

There's not really a smallprintb you need to read, just make sure it suits your needs.

Look at benchmarks that will tell you everything you need to know about performance.

Make sure it has a good amount of VRAM so it's  good for the future,v  and make sure it has sufficient cooling for you and fits in your case.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Pick the one that best suits your budget and looks good to you. That's all that really matters. Quality and performance is all on par with each other, for the most part. EVGA has notably excellent warranty/customer care, from what I've heard.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) get one with a 2-3 fan cooler

2) get one that looks good to you

3) get one that's not expensive

That's pretty much everything. You can ignore the specs because they are all the same card and will all perform the same on average.

But do check reviews.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

just get one that looks fine to you and performs well. 

- 3 fan air coolers perform a bit better than 2 fan air coolers. AIO coolers perform the best. you can also find waterblocks but that's something different

- some cards come with extra power connectors for more OC headroom

- some cards come with BIOS switches, but that's meant for heavy overclocking

- some cards come with RGB LEDs

- some cards come with backplates 

- ignore factory OC. just overclock yourself 

8 minutes ago, jdjinn said:

NVidia SLI --> What is this?:o (is it important while buying a graphic card?)

allows you to run more than one NVIDIA GPU in a single PC

9 minutes ago, jdjinn said:

NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready; NVIDIA CUDA Technology; NVIDIA PhysX Technology --> What is this?:o What features should be the best?

don't worry too much about these

10 minutes ago, jdjinn said:

1 x DisplayPort the ---> higher the better? (which connector is better?)

preferably Displayport but HDMI or DVI are fine too

2 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Or price. Or power consumption. Or physical size. Or decibel readings.

Who the Hell cares about Power Consuption? And the rest are no technical specs. And i want my cards as big as possible.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I guess you like having your computer being a space heater and sounding like a jet engine while idling.

1. No

2. What has this to do with anything?

3 hours ago, jdjinn said:

Chipset
Overclocked Yes --> if yes, better?
Core Clock Speed 1556MHz --> the higher the better?
Boost Core Clock Speed 1746MHz --> the higher the better?
Memory
Memory Clock Speed 8008MHz --> the higher the better?
General
Cooling Fan --> no bad, isn´t it?
Connectors
DVI 2 x Dual-Link DVI-D ---> the more the better?
HDMI 1 x HDMI --->  the higher the better?
DisplayPort 1 x DisplayPort the ---> higher the better? (which connector is better?)
Thermal & Power
Power Connectors 1 x PCI-E 8-pin ---> the more the better?
Physical Specifications
Width Dual Slot ---> the more the better?
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 3 Years
Labor 3 Years

A lot of stuff you listed are just features of the GPU chip itself, and therefore they do not vary between the different third-party card vendors. I've cut those out and left only the things in your list that might differ between products.

In the order I quoted (and pardon my wall of text):

Some cards are overclocked from the factory. Nvidia has a reference clock speed for each card, and the third-party companies can increase that if they choose to. That means that one card may run at a slightly higher core and boost clock than another. But those factory overclocks are usually quite modest, and you can generally do your own overclocking that blows past any deficit one card may have. It's less common, but the memory clock speed may be overclocked as well.

Another difference between third-party cards is the cooler they attach to them. But that being said, the GTX 1070 is a pretty damned efficient card, and the big, powerful coolers designed by Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI and so forth are all more than adequate to keep it cool.

Individual cards may have slightly different configurations of output ports. 2 DVI-D, 1 HDMI, and 1 DisplayPort sounds like the reference specification, but another card may have more or fewer of each. DisplayPort is "the best one" in terms of feature support and technological progress, but it's more relevant to pick a card that has the ports you need for the monitor(s) you intend to use. I have two DVI monitors and one VGA (!!!) monitor, so the number of DisplayPorts isn't a big factor to me.

Additional PCIe power cables could theoretically have a positive effect on overclocking, by allowing the GPU to pull more power. But chances are you'll hit some other obstacle trying to overclock a GTX 1070 before the power limit becomes a factor. Modern Nvidia cards tend to be heavily restricted by voltage, and in my experience that's what will probably determine your max overclock. Most 1070's seem to overclock to about a 2000–2100 MHz boost clock regardless of whether they have additional power or not.

Most mid-to-upper tier video cards today are dual-slot. Single is more of a specialty/novelty feature meant for very small form-factor systems. Dual is not necessarily "better," but it does imply that the cooler is big and powerful.

Warranty is potentially a big factor in choosing a card. The third-party companies offer their own warranty. Most offer at least a 3 year warranty, but some may offer 5 or more. In addition to the raw number of years of coverage, some have better reputations for customer support. EVGA in particular is well-liked for reliable service.

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

Who the Hell cares about Power Consuption? And the rest are no technical specs. And i want my cards as big as possible.

1: People where electricity isn't cheap, which is a not-insignificant area.

2: Doesn't matter.

3: You've clearly never built an SFF PC.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

26 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

1: People where electricity isn't cheap, which is a not-insignificant area.

2: Doesn't matter.

3: You've clearly never built an SFF PC.

1. Ridiculous

2. You missed the whole Topic.

What I would look for is the hardware specs and compare it with older generations to see if there is any improvement. Also ''looks'' don't matter that's just beauty from the eye of the beholder.