AMD vega 10 information leak

Lawliet93
13 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

No. The source said 6TFLOPS of half precision  (FP8) which unless explicitly neutered is 1/2 of the FP16 (single precision) standard metric.

No. Here's what the source said:

These leaks are said to come from AMD's internal server roadmap, which gives this GPU a total of 24 TFLOPs of half precision compute performance, which means that this GPU will have at least 12TFLOPs of Double precision compute performance if the new GPU architecture scales well. 

The only TFLOPS numbers mentioned are 12 and 24, not 6.

In addition, you don't seem to understand what half precision, single precision and double precision are. Half precision is FP16. Single precision is FP32. Double precision is FP64. And performance typically increases at lower precision, the opposite of what you're claiming.

12 hours ago, Citadelen said:

Nope! Check the article.

Nope! You check the article.

10 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

It is not claiming double-precision performance. The article is a mess and says only 6 for half precision, which means it's 12 for single.

It is claiming double-precision performance. The only numbers quoted are 12 TFLOPS and 24 TFLOPS, it never even mentions 6. But I agree the article is a bit of a mess.

9 hours ago, Notional said:

According to Videocardzzzzzz:

Meaning Vega is a new gen of architecture. After all, Polaris was designed specifically for laptops, which is why it has certain problems as high/mid end desktop cards.

The interesting part if their claim of Navi being postponed to 2019, where 2018 will get a 7nm Vega 20. Sounds a lot like Tick-Tock kinda deal. It would depend on 7nm being available and if they can scale up 14nm Vega to 7nm (more stream processors).

7nm in 2018? I want to see that before I believe it.

23 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

No. Here's what the source said:

The only TFLOPS numbers mentioned are 12 and 24, not 6.

In addition, you don't seem to understand what half precision, single precision and double precision are. Half precision is FP16. Single precision is FP32. Double precision is FP64. And performance typically increases at lower precision, the opposite of what you're claiming.

Nope! You check the article.

It is claiming double-precision performance. The only numbers quoted are 12 TFLOPS and 24 TFLOPS, it never even mentions 6. But I agree the article is a bit of a mess.

It's been edited, and it's 24TFlops for half precision, 12 for single, and so only 6 for double. It was also first thing in the morning when I first responded. Sorry.

Also, seriously, the HPC guy doesn't know Flops definitions?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

12 hours ago, IAEInferno said:

Do you think that there will be consumer quantum computers in the future?

There won't,  because quantum computer suck at most things compared to normal computer, they're suited for specific problems. But quantum tunelling isn't a sign of quantum computer, since it can be present in normal electronics.

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's been edited, and it's 24TFlops for half precision, 12 for single, and so only 6 for double. It was also first thing in the morning when I first responded. Sorry.

Also, seriously, the HPC guy doesn't know Flops definitions?

Mmm right, it's been edited in the Videocardz article, but not on OC3D (the source for this thread).

23 hours ago, Vode said:

Can't wait. Will be upgrading to this for sure. :)

23 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

First half of 2017 means Nvidia will  be ready with Volta anyway so color me unimpressed.

At least its not the same story as on CPU side. AMD is keeping up with Medium range fairly well.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

15 hours ago, IAEInferno said:

Do you think that there will be consumer quantum computers in the future?

3 hours ago, laminutederire said:

There won't,  because quantum computer suck at most things compared to normal computer, they're suited for specific problems. But quantum tunelling isn't a sign of quantum computer, since it can be present in normal electronics.

They suck at doing current basic tasks because of the large process taken by the quantum computer to complete these small tasks. Currently only very large and complex tasks benefit.

Unless a major discovery in quantum mechanics/physics is made, or someone revolutionizes computer programming as we know it, we won't have personal quantum computers in this lifetime.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I know that's what I said.

It's not an issue of quantum computer not being good enough though. It's an issue of how they compute things. They don't compute things "faster" they compute it in less steps, which makes them useful for exponential problems.

On topic, does anyone know when amd will release official infos about Vega? 

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

I know that's what I said.

It's not an issue of quantum computer not being good enough though. It's an issue of how they compute things. They don't compute things "faster" they compute it in less steps, which makes them useful for exponential problems.

On topic, does anyone know when amd will release official infos about Vega? 

I was elaborating on your response.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

10 hours ago, Sakkura said:

-snip-

Why is every article saying something different? This one says Vega 11 will replace Polaris. https://www.techpowerup.com/226012/amd-vega-10-vega-20-and-vega-11-gpus-detailed

Seeing as Vega uses what will probably be called GCN 5.0 I believe that the RX 5xx series will be a full lineup. I may be wrong, but it's what I'm lead to believe.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Why is every article saying something different? This one says Vega 11 will replace Polaris. https://www.techpowerup.com/226012/amd-vega-10-vega-20-and-vega-11-gpus-detailed

Seeing as Vega uses what will probably be called GCN 5.0 I believe that the RX 5xx series will be a full lineup. I may be wrong, but it's what I'm lead to believe.

Fair enough. That's leaks for you, plus maybe AMD's been adjusting its plans behind the scenes too. Like Nvidia with Volta and Pascal.

150 TDP, 7nm, 32gb of VRAM.

Looks Like I will be buying a 3440x1440p monitor at 144hz. 

If 3440x1440p monitors by that time will be 144hz and have free sync.

Will my i5-4670 and GTX 650 ti which I bought in 2013 still function from 2013 up to 2018?

Gonna wait for 2 years instead of one now, wish me luck.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.