iPhone 7 Display Analysis shows Record Performance for Color Accuracy, Brightness, Screen Reflectance & more

And the iPhone 7 continues to make headlines for its best features. First it was the massively improved durability with a much higher water resistance than advertised, then it was the record performance of the A10 Fusion chip blowing everything out of the water and now it's the display (and according to displaymate, it's perfect)

The analysis found a record high contrast ratio for IPS LCD displays, record low screen reflectance for smartphones, and record color accuracy among all displays it has tested.

It also found that iPhone 7 had “the highest peak brightness for a smartphone” and “the smallest color variation with viewing angle.”

The iPhone 7 excels due to its record Absolute Color Accuracy (1.1 JNCD), which is Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect, and is very likely considerably better than any mobile display, monitor, TV or UHD TV that you have. So photos, videos, and online content and merchandise will appear correct and beautiful.

DispalyMate says the iPhone 7 display is seven percent more power efficient than iPhone 6 displays, which it notes is in spite of a much wider color gamut on iPhone 7. The new wide color gamut and record absolute color accuracy mean iPhone 7 is “Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect,” according to the report, and “very likely considerably better than any mobile display, monitor, TV or UHD TV that you have.”

In addition, the report examined the brighter display on iPhone 7, which Apple noted was 25% brighter. It found that it measures even higher than Apple advertises (705 nits vs 625 nits), but that it doesn’t hit peak brightness unless automatic brightness is enabled. It also only takes full advantage of the brightness capabilities when needed in certain lighting conditions:

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the iPhone 7 produces up to an impressive 705 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – the Highest Peak Brightness for a Smartphone for any Average Picture Level APL, including Full Screen White.

You can read the full report here:

displaymate-iphone-7-display.png

And people say Apple isn't innovating anymore despite it breaking many records with every release

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/19/iphone-7-display-benchmark-record-color-accuracy-brightness/

Awesome! Damn shame about the lack of a headphone port despite gaining nothing in the process, but it still looks like it's a damn good phone. At least it doesn't explode.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Awesome! Damn shame about the lack of a headphone port despite gaining nothing in the process, but it still looks like it's a damn good phone. At least it doesn't explode.

Meh, all my headphones are bluetooth already! 

But is the phone a grenade, we don't know yet, the phone was just released. :P 

iPhone 7 best phone ever, I still have to wait a month for mines.

Just now, SamFire5 said:

Meh, all my headphones are bluetooth already! 

But is the phone a grenade, we don't know yet, the phone was just released. :P 

True, but not true for most people. Plus you have to charge them and you can always get better for the same price going with wired. 

Well... I suppose that's true. But I don't think they'd be dumb enough to allow that to happen after the Note 7 fiasco. 

1 minute ago, CaliJL said:

iPhone 7 best phone ever, I still have to wait a month for mines.

Did you order/ pre-order the Jet Black? :o

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

True, but not true for most people. Plus you have to charge them and you can always get better for the same price going with wired. 

Well... I suppose that's true. But I don't think they'd be dumb enough to allow that to happen after the Note 7 fiasco. 

Yeah that's the thing i hate about bluetooth headphones, most of the time i charge them every night or so. :/

very likely considerably better than any mobile display, monitor, TV or UHD TV that you have.”

The above is a little out of context, the full quote is just talking about color accuracy.

I'm not trying to tear it down, kudos for a well made display, but keep in mind that it's not even 1080p.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

14 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

And people say Apple isn't innovating anymore despite it breaking many records with every release

They aren't innovating, innovation means creating or inventing a new thing, they are improving and bringing features android has had, and removing the headphone jack :P

The phone is indeed fast I'll give them that, however I'll never buy an apple product pure and simple

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

11 minutes ago, SamFire5 said:

Did you order/ pre-order the Jet Black? :o

Yeah that's the thing i hate about bluetooth headphones, most of the time i charge them every night or so. :/

Well the plus is backed up at least a month in most places, and I heard the jet black was 2 months...

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

They aren't innovating, innovation means creating or inventing a new thing, they are improving and bringing feature android has had

While this may not be 'innovation' it's pretty undeniable that the iPhone 7/7+ displays have taken small 720p/1080p IPS LCD displays to their limits and made it even more power efficient, that's pretty impressive imo. 

I'm looking forward to when they make the shift to OLED, then they will have a shot at being the best phone screen on the market.

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

5 minutes ago, o0Martin said:

While this may not be 'innovation' it's pretty undeniable that the iPhone 7/7+ displays have taken small 720p/1080p IPS LCD displays to their limits and made it even more power efficient, that's pretty impressive imo. 

It is though unfortunately their phones are what I would call idle efficient as they don't seem to last long in heavy use, but use very little battery while idle by comparison to other phones

Oh and you don't want Oled displays, you think you do but the screen burn is strong with those

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

19 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The phone is indeed fast I'll give them that, however I'll never buy an apple product pure and simple

Why not?

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Why not?

iOS

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Why not?

Software and the idea of an ecosystem, it's the same reason as a reason I don't want windows 10

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

iOS

Fair enough. I use both iOS and Nougat and really have no preference. Then again, I don't customize a ton.

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Software and the idea of an ecosystem, it's the same reason as a reason I don't want windows 10

That's a fair reason that isn't just random hate. Weird :P 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Fair enough. I use both iOS and Nougat and really have no preference. Then again, I don't customize a ton.

That's a fair reason that isn't just random hate. Weird :P 

Just personal preference for me. I have to tinker with everything, constantly try new roms and new styles.  It's like a never ending search for the perfect GUI (perfect for me that is).

6800k is still very cold (high blue shift).... The rest looks great, but I'll wait for a reviewer I know better to check these out.

This is a pretty big win for Samsung if true given they are the OEM for the display.

Oh and anything other than sRGB performance is irrelevant for the next few years since color management content is still so immature.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Yeah, I am proud of Apple making a fast mobile CPU... However, the IOS is the main reason I despise iPhones. It is so limiting for a tech enthusiast. Until Apple makes their OS like Android, it is a no go for me. Like seriously, though, what is the point of a super fast chip that will never be used to its full potential due to its very limiting OS? Moral of the story is Apple's IOS will never be as productive as Googles Android OS until they decide to give the user the ability to use the file system, customize the UI... Etc. Again, what better UI is there than the one the user himself makes himself?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

12 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Yeah, I am proud of Apple making a fast mobile CPU... However, the IOS is the main reason I despise iPhones. It is so limiting for a tech enthusiast. Until Apple makes their OS like Android, it is a no go for me. Like seriously, though, what is the point of a super fast chip that will never be used to its full potential due to its very limiting OS? Moral of the story is Apple's IOS will never be as productive as Googles Android OS until they decide to give the user the ability to use the file system, customize the UI... Etc. Again, what better UI is there than the one the user himself makes himself?

How would Android help you better leverage the CPU? 

And most people don't want to sit there tinkering and breaking things in the process. And those that due, jailbreak and gain quite a bit of customizability -- certainly the majority of customizability one would want. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

30 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Oh and you don't want Oled displays, you think you do but the screen burn is strong with those

I already went into this in detail on another thread, but burn in isn't an issue to worry about on modern OLED panels for phones, under normal use before burn in occurs you're likely to have purchased a new phone already, especially if you follow the 2 year cycle which I do. 

17 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

This is a pretty big win for Samsung if true given they are the OEM for the display.

I think it's LG Displays, and JDI that do the iPhone displays, Samsung do the iPad displays only. 

16 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

However, the IOS is the main reason I despise iPhones. It is so limiting for a tech enthusiast.

I agree iOS is dull at stock and very... very limiting. But a jailbroken iOS device in my opinion is just as good as an android device, the jailbreak community make some amazing things, it's just a shame that it takes to long for jailbreaks to be released now a days, and on top of that it takes a while for some devs to upgrade their tweaks to support the latest version of iOS. If Apple openly supported jailbreaking (instead of actively patching it) then I think iOS would be the perfect mobile OS for me.

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

How would Android help you better leverage the CPU? 

And most people don't want to sit there tinkering and breaking things in the process. And those that due, jailbreak and gain quite a bit of customizability -- certainly the majority of customizability one would want. 

There is no Jailbreak for the latest IOS's by the way, Apple has put a stop to that. So invalid argument. Again, I wasn't talking about the average Joe... I was referring to people like me or other tech enthusiasts who enjoy customizing their phone to their liking. You spent hundreds of dollars on the product, why not have the right to change the UI if you so please? Again what I meant was the iPhone's IOS isn't the greatest for multitasking or doing business tasks. Such as powerpoint, excel, word... Etc.

Just now, o0Martin said:

I agree iOS is dull at stock and very... very limiting. But a jailbroken iOS device in my opinion is just as good as an android device, the jailbreak community make some amazing things, it's just a shame that it takes to long for jailbreaks to be released now a days, and on top of that it takes a while for some devs to upgrade their tweaks to support the latest version of iOS. 

Read the above for practically the same response. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Read the above for practically the same response. 

Did you read what I wrote?? I said it takes a long time for jailbreaks to be released now a days. 

I'm very aware that there is no iOS 10 jailbreak yet, and that there wont be for a while. Which is one of a few reasons why I'm getting a Note 7 and not an iPhone 7+.

2 minutes ago, o0Martin said:

I already went into this in detail on another thread, but burn in isn't an issue to worry about on modern OLED panels for phones, under normal use before burn in occurs you're likely to have purchased a new phone already, especially if you follow the 2 year cycle which I do. 

Ah they must have implemented a display trick to fix the burning issue since I last looked into the topic, honestly I don't think they look much better to be worth the effort but no matter if they fixed it there is no reason to avoid them either.