S340 Side panel increases temperature 10*

BiscuitMassacre

I have an s340, and I was wandering why my temperatures were so high! So I took of the side panel during and a stress and the temps dropped from 85-75*c! Why? This is my configuration

large_c5e2a5adbc4d9d36.png

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, SageOfSpice said:

Why you no top slot?

I put the other fan on my 212 Evo. let me see the impact it has.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

I only have a single 120MM pulling from the front on my 340, this is on the upper slot, temperatures even when under very heavy load ( Fallout 4 2560x1080 all on Ultra ) only hit 75c when the room is around 25c to begin with (for the 48hours the UK has summer)

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

zMeul is right. You want equal pressure or negative pressure, more out than in, to optimize airflow. 

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

for optimal cooling you should have the same volume of air pulled in as the volume pushed out

since you only have a single 120mm pushing out, there is a very high pressure building inside going nowhere

4 minutes ago, NotDaveMustaine said:

zMeul is right. You want equal pressure or negative pressure, more out than in, to optimize airflow. 

Are you saying that if I had less intake I would be better? What if I had all exaust?

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

It's about balance, man. ish. You want to lean in favor of negative pressure, more exhaust than intake, but you still need that intake airflow to get, well, airflow. I have an S340 on my desk right now: it has two 120mm in the front as intake, and two 120mm in the rear/top as exhaust. It's still slightly negative pressure, since one of the front fans has a radiator behind it. Does that make sense? Balance is good, slightly negative pressure is best. If you have positive pressure, you're just cramming air into the case faster than it can get out, so you just have standing air. 

3 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Are you saying that if I had less intake I would be better?

no, it won't - if you don't have any more fans, balance them; take one 140mm and put it on top above the CPU to push air out of the case

all exaust?

if there isn't a way for the air to go inside the case, it would have a similar effect

Positive pressure is best provided that the intake fans are directly aspirating the hottest components. This ensures that the warm waste air is constantly replaced by cool, fresh air. It's good to have an exhaust fan as close as possible to the hottest components, since significant air intake velocity is limited to the immediate area in front of the fan - as opposed to fan exhaust, where the airflow projects for several feet behind it.

Negative pressure will result in dead spots and dust.

The NZXT S340 is definitely better in negative pressure.

Even more, if you have a non blower GPU, it might help to turn all the fans around and have the case flow back to front. The GPU will feed air to itself from the holes in the expansion slot covers).

Either way, taking your side panel off will result in better temps because components can breathe much better :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

What are your fans plugged in to? How fast are the spinning when you're at 85C? It could be a fan control issue. Unless there is some protective packing in the front you forgot to remove?

10 hours ago, SSL said:

Positive pressure is best provided that the intake fans are directly aspirating the hottest components. This ensures that the warm waste air is constantly replaced by cool, fresh air. It's good to have an exhaust fan as close as possible to the hottest components, since significant air intake velocity is limited to the immediate area in front of the fan - as opposed to fan exhaust, where the airflow projects for several feet behind it.

Negative pressure will result in dead spots and dust.

10 hours ago, Energycore said:

The NZXT S340 is definitely better in negative pressure.

Even more, if you have a non blower GPU, it might help to turn all the fans around and have the case flow back to front. The GPU will feed air to itself from the holes in the expansion slot covers).

Either way, taking your side panel off will result in better temps because components can breathe much better :)

8 hours ago, airdeano said:

remove air filter, reinstall side panel and retest.

No difference

4 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

What are your fans plugged in to? How fast are the spinning when you're at 85C? It could be a fan control issue. Unless there is some protective packing in the front you forgot to remove?

Got it all situated as far as that goes.

Right now I replaced the 140mm from the front intake and put in on the top exhaust. I accidentally broke a fin off it though. Amazon wants 8-25 for a fan. what the heck. why? why do they cost so much. seriously.

EDIT: Still hitting 86c 3 minutes in. 

If I were to replace my fans do you recommend the Corsair AF120?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-SP120-High-Performance-Twin/dp/B007RESFYK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1474119622&sr=8-9&keywords=corsair%2Baf120&th=1

Which is better low noise or high pressure? I really do like lower noise but whatever. I like these fans because I really like the way they look. 

When you paint them green they look really nice imo.

Like this:

gallery_53102_884_98126.jpg

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

For the front, check out:

• Phanteks PH-F140SP
  • Noiseblocker Eloop B12-3
  • Cougar Vortex HDB PWM

Replace both front intakes. Move the remaining intake to the top exhaust position.