Fan orientation and case placement

Milos Sladic

Hi,

I got 2 questions regarding noise and temperature:

1. Where should I put my air 240 case?
First picture. Nitro 470 likes to get noisy during intense gaming, also what about relation between windows and case? I live in Belgrade, Serbia. Today, 28°C was the average temperature outside.

2. What is the best fan orientation possible?
I thought something like second picture maybe?  I currently own Noctua NF-F12 + 3x Noctua NF-S12A and Noctua NH-D9L CPU cooler. It would be no problem for me to buy more fans, but first I need to know the best possible orientation.

Thank you. :)

14315567_1421292831231649_905211021_o.jpg

4.jpg

The bottom picture with the arrows looks good other than the actual fans (top & front fans) not matching the arrow direction. 

What are your current load temps for your graphics card? You might be able to lower the fan speeds to lower the noise.

Having the system on the desk would be optimal but it's fine on the floor as long as it's not carpetted to not suffocate the bottom fan.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

1. The location doesn't really matter as long as it has space to intake air.

3. The config looks good, but its overkill. Yould be fine with just 2 intake and one exaust on the back.

1. kk

2. Noctuas are soundless, so I really dont care how many of them I got, as long as they can help cool down that noisy gpu... ^_^

22 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The bottom picture with the arrows looks good other than the actual fans (top & front fans) not matching the arrow direction. 

What are your current load temps for your graphics card? You might be able to lower the fan speeds to lower the noise.

Having the system on the desk would be optimal but it's fine on the floor as long as it's not carpetted to not suffocate the bottom fan.

1. Yea that is my current bad orientation. Gonna change it once I find the best one. :)

2. The biggest load I am doing is Shadow of Mordor with HD content DLC. It's like the GPU fans won't allow it to go over 60c, but because of that they are on 50% load which is completely intolerable. Sapphire program has custom fan option, but it behaves the same no matter what I put.
3. It's carpet, need to warm the feet. ^_^

Screenshot (89).png

noctuas are not "soundless" - at medium high to low rpms, they are almost silent, but not "soundless" more fans will be louder (unless you slow them down more). and 80mm absolutely is not "soundless" even for noctuas 

Id flip the 120 up top as exhaust, air in needs air out (even with slight positive pressure), in order order to force hot air from the GPU out. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

4 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

noctuas are not "soundless" - at medium high to low rpms, they are almost silent, but not "soundless" more fans will be louder (unless you slow them down more). and 80mm absolutely is not "soundless" even for noctuas 

Id flip the 120 up top as exhaust, air in needs air out (even with slight positive pressure), in order order to force hot air from the GPU out. 

I am running them all now at 800 rpm, and honestly I can't hear a thing. :)

Don't pay attention at their orientation rigth now, but pay attention at how arrows are drawn. Because that is how I plan to set them up. :)

12 hours ago, SSWolf1993 said:

1. Yea that is my current bad orientation. Gonna change it once I find the best one. :)

2. The biggest load I am doing is Shadow of Mordor with HD content DLC. It's like the GPU fans won't allow it to go over 60c, but because of that they are on 50% load which is completely intolerable. Sapphire program has custom fan option, but it behaves the same no matter what I put.
3. It's carpet, need to warm the feet. ^_^

Table or hanging under one would be best place. Or if you have shelf, that would work too.

60C is way low for GPU. You can bump desired max load temp to 75C or even 80C. If Saphires own software doesn't allow such, uninstall and use MSI Afterburner instead. GPU temps are fine up to 85C so you should go for lower noise instead of better temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Table or hanging under one would be best place. Or if you have shelf, that would work too.

60C is way low for GPU. You can bump desired max load temp to 75C or even 80C. If Saphires own software doesn't allow such, uninstall and use MSI Afterburner instead. GPU temps are fine up to 85C so you should go for lower noise instead of better temps.

So MSI Afterburner it is. Thank you. ^_^

7 minutes ago, SSWolf1993 said:

I am running them all now at 800 rpm, and honestly I can't hear a thing. :)

Don't pay attention at their orientation rigth now, but pay attention at how arrows are drawn. Because that is how I plan to set them up. :)

Ah my bad, i just glanced at the picture (still morning, couldn't sleep)

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Just now, Heesleemer said:

Ah my bad, i just glanced at the picture (still morning, couldn't sleep)

Haha no problemo, I am glad I got the arrows right. ^_^