Motherboard Connectors?????

Alright so I've been doing a lot of research and I heard someone list specs two weeks ago and it was the first time I understood what he was saying! But one thing I don't understand is motherboard connectors. I want a connector for wifi, but I just don't get it. I saw the Techquickie about it and I still don't get it. Can someone explain as simple as possible? Or link a video that goes through it well? Also, are sound cards connectors? I don't get that either. Help me lol

My build in fancy text: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BWGdxY My current build: http://imgur.com/gallery/sOgMR3u

Usually when you buy a motherboard that includes wifi, it is connected to the motherboard by an M.2 slot. In some cases the slot is easily seen, in others, like mine (ASUS Z170I) the card and slot is covered by metal shielding but if removed, the M.2 slot is there. As far as sound cards go, they are usually integrated onto the motherboard itself so no connector, an exception could be something like a MAXIMUS VIII impact that has its sound card on an included riser board. its connection is most likely proprietary in nature. If you wanted to add a wireless or sound card after the fact, they are usually available in a PCIe x1 form factor. It would just be inserted in the appropriate slot on the board. Some are even externally connected via USB.

rmurad38

i7 6700k | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX1070 FE | Samsung 950 Pro 256MB M.2 SSD | SanDisk X400 1TB SSD | Noctua NH-U9S Cooler | EVGA Hadron Air

wifi card would go on a pci express slot , it's under your gpu slot and it's about an inch wide , maybe a bit less 

If the motherboard has a wireless network card, there's usually a tiny round connector (or more than one) on the header, where you'd normally screw in a tiny antenna.

Here's a couple of motherboards, you can check the pictures to see those connectors : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128907  and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130929

Unlike other onboard components like sound card or gigabit network card, the wireless cards are usually on separate circuit boards and inserted into connectors which are usually m.2 (pci express) or rarely something proprietary.

This is mostly done because wireless network cards have radios, so obviously they have to certified for emissions and pass all kinds of stupid regulations, and they're not even allowed to be sold in some countries, so if they were directly on the motherboard they'd have to submit the whole motherboard for certifications and tests and everything..

Wifi must be supported by manufactor or you can be a seperate Wifi card that can fit on PCI(e) for example. Same applies for soundcards. These are overall also PCI(e). PCI and PCIe isn't the same PCI is old, and PCIe is new. Remember that for both there are also different generations if you would go back in time for hardware, but won't cover that here and this also applies for many of the other connectors and stuff.

There are many different slots on a mobo. You have the back of the PC with the I/O, these are onboard options. These can include Wifi aswell (depends on manufactor so check spec list for specific mobo), but it's not a standard option on all mobo's. Overall standard added stuff is USB, audio from the onboard sound implementation, LAN connection, video output for boards that support onboard graphics from the CPU.

On the board itself are also the socket for CPU, internal headers and slots. This obviously is stuff inside the PC. Socket(s) I supose you understand is for specific CPU's only. DIMM slots are for RAM and are overall placed aside from the socket with a short path to the socket because of speed. Then you have several powerheaders like the 24pin or 4/8 CPU pin that connect to your PSU (powersupply). Sata headers are for drives and other parts like DVD players that transfer data to a device. These days there are also slots for M.2 extension drives. Then there are several different internal headers for front connectioons on the case like USB powerbuttons and audio. Also over the board are some fan headers for cooling fans.

Leaves the PCI(e)slots. PCIe will be most seen. Remeber that these can have different physical forms depending on purpose. GPU's go on the x16 slots.

This is a short summary of most connections found. Hope it helps. Any decent mobo guide has a overview of the boards and also explains more in depth what the connection is with a drawing or picture.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

There are no specific connectors for just wifi.

If a board says it support wifi, all that means is that it includes a wifi card/antennas. But the antennas will lead to a wifi card sitting in a m.2, or a mpcie slot.

If you have have a motherboard that doesn't support wifi, then you can get a wifi adapter to fit in a usb slot, pcie slot, pci slot, m.2, or a mpcie slot.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •