How does this build look for gaming?

Divu Kels

I am currently in the process of leaving AMD for the first time sense I started building PC's as I decided I wanted to go Skylake this time around instead of waiting on Zen to mature in the market and benchmarks to pop up. I have only ever used there APU's in the past when it came to AMD. 

Compared to this: 

CPU: A8-7670k

Mobo: ASUS A88X-Gamer

Ram: Ripjaws Z 16gb 1866mhz

GPU: Onboard R7 7670k (Extreme GPU Boosted with Liquid Cooling on the CPU)

Will this work alot better?

CPU: i5-6400

Mobo: Gigabyte H110M-A

Ram: HyperX Fury 8gb(2x4gb) 2133

GPU: (Brand to be decided) RX 470 4gb 

Im not very familar with Intel products, but have been told rule of thumb is Intel > AMD.  I had originally thought about the I3-6100 and a RX 470 8gb of RX 480 4gb... 

yes, this will be a great 1080p machine!   and will be for the most part better then your old PC exept for RAM which you have less of but thats the only downside to what you are planning on

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yes the i5 build will smoke the A8. The i3 will be close to the i5 in performance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 minutes ago, Divu Kels said:

I am currently in the process of leaving AMD for the first time sense I started building PC's as I decided I wanted to go Skylake this time around instead of waiting on Zen to mature in the market and benchmarks to pop up. I have only ever used there APU's in the past when it came to AMD. 

Compared to this: 

Im not very familar with Intel products, but have been told rule of thumb is Intel > AMD.  I had originally thought about the I3-6100 and a RX 470 8gb of RX 480 4gb... 

The second one will probably perform 6/7 times better than the other, both in gaming and in CPU intensive tasks. It'll also be a lot moe power efficient

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

Totally, the rx470 is a great choice. It's 1080p capabilities are wonderful, you should be able to get ultra settings at 60fps. 

The i5 is also a great choice, though you could get away with a i3 if you really wanted. I don't recommend a rx480 unless your willing to invest in VR. Which i'm guessing you're not. 

8gb of ram is fine, personally I like to have 16gb just because of ram heavy applications like chrome, but thats your choice.

Personally, i'd swap out the i5 for a i3 and invest in 16gb of ram and a SSD.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, RangerLunis said:

Totally, the rx470 is a great choice. It's 1080p capabilities are wonderful, you should be able to get ultra settings at 60fps. 

The i5 is also a great choice, though you could get away with a i3 if you really wanted. I don't recommend a rx480 unless your willing to invest in VR. Which i'm guessing you're not. 

8gb of ram is fine, personally I like to have 16gb just because of ram heavy applications like chrome, but thats your choice.

Personally, i'd swap out the i5 for a i3 and invest in 16gb of ram and a SSD.

Good luck!

Agreed, you could totally get that i3-6100 and spend some money for maybe a 128gb SSD, or a 240 if you're willing. 16GB is ram isn't necessary, but it's definitely nice to have for some applications. 16gb is a great value.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

7 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Agreed, you could totally get that i3-6100 and spend some money for maybe a 128gb SSD, or a 240 if you're willing. 16GB is ram isn't necessary, but it's definitely nice to have for some applications. 16gb is a great value.

Well, I do have a R3 120gb SSD already if that helps any... I currently have a 1tb Seagate HD, 120gb R3 Radeon SSD, 500gb Toshiba Laptop HD all installed in my Current PC. I have the User files stored on the 500gb along with a few driver files for my current gpu stuff. 

7 hours ago, Divu Kels said:

Well, I do have a R3 120gb SSD already if that helps any... I currently have a 1tb Seagate HD, 120gb R3 Radeon SSD, 500gb Toshiba Laptop HD all installed in my Current PC. I have the User files stored on the 500gb along with a few driver files for my current gpu stuff. 

Oh, then you're fine for storage :D if you can fit 16gb of ram into your budget to compliment the i5, then you should be golden

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

8 hours ago, Divu Kels said:

Compared to this: 

don't get the i5-6400. Either do a i3-6100 or get the i5-6500 for the value.
The MB is a cheap one, but when it has all you need go for it.
RAM is fine for what you are going with, only the 8gb are lower then 16gb.
For the GPU I can recommend the XFX, maybe a 8gb if you can afford it but the i5-6500 should be first piece to get