cpu numbers

I need to know what does CPU's numbers(and everything else) mean.

Like intel i7 6700k what does all the numbers mean and  "k" at the end.

The same with AMD processors. What all the numbers and letters mean?

Is bigger GHz always better?

How should i choose what CPU to buy?

And ALL the other things about CPU's.

For Intel, First number is the generation, second determines if it is an i3/i5/i7, and then different varieties of each one.

"k" means it is unlocked and can be overclocked with an appropriate "z" chipset motherboard.

More GHz isn't always better, really depends on the use, some programs prefer slower cores, but lots of them. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Intel:

6000: 6th generation of I3/I5/I7

100-999: higher is better, a higher number indicates more preformance

k: unlocked for overclocking

x: xtreme edition

AMD(what i know)

4000: quad core CPU

6000: hexa core CPU

8000: octa core CPU

9000: overclocked octacore

then after those number higher is better

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, thewipyk said:

Best answer. Honestly I would stay away from AMD until we know what Zen is like. 

7 minutes ago, techp said:

-snip-

For intel, the 6XXX numbers are just brands and the generation. the 6 is the Gen, and the 6XXX numbers are model type. the K means it can overclock.

- the i7 stands for.. well it's easier to just share this:

The 6 in 6700K stands for the generation of Intel CPU's and the last part is just their naming. It changes a bit from gen to gen, but there for example was a i7 2700K too.

The K stands for that is has an unlocked multiplier, meaning you can overclock it.

For AMD it depends on the CPU series. For example the FX line (4300, 6300, 8320, etc.)works a bit like this: First number stands for the amount of cores (or threads really) and the rest is just to show how high up in the line the CPU is. Their APU's work a bit like this: A6 <numbers> A8 <numbers> A10 <numbers>. The higher the first thing is (the A part) the better it is and the higher the other numbers are, the higher it is in the 'A' tier.

They also have Athlon CPU's, like the Athlon X4 860K, where the 4 just stands for the amount of cores and the 860K is just a number, higher the better in the lineup (the K has nothing to do with Intel's way of saying a chip can overclock)

"Is bigger GHz always better?"

No. Ghz is but one factor in a CPU. A couple more are cores amounts, thread amounts, IPC and cache. The way you choose a CPU is you take in account what you do, how many cores you would need (or want) for that usage and check benchmarks to see what is best.

Or you make a forum thread, describe your workflow (what you do and stuff) and ask for recommendations (and why they recommend one thing over another)

I would recommend you watch a couple TechQuickie videos and a couple LTT reviews to get a basic idea of what CPU you should get for what and how software utilize them and than come back with some more specific questions.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Here's intel's naming scheme: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

AMD's naming scheme is mostly just for different series. 

Higher clock speed is better but is only comparable between the same architecture. Think of clock speed as rpm and architecture as wheel size/shape/design. Not cpu have the same cores/design like how not all vehicles have the same wheels. 

To figure out what cpu to get, look at benchmarks of how they perform for relevant tasks. For example, if you want to game, look at gaming benchmarks for cpus. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.