I5 vs I7 for 144hz gaming

Which course is going to give a more stable and more enjoyable high frame rate gaming experience with a 1080. Looking for one of my rigs to either keep the i5 or get a i7 for it. Right now it's sitting with a 4690k.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

either or are not going to assist you in what you're looking to do here. the i5 has always been the best main stream CPU out there, the i7 will deliver more processing power for more processor hungry applications. Games are not processor hungry, they are GPU hungry.

I can 144hz game on my i5 2500k, so you will be fine.  

1 minute ago, cyphon21 said:

Games are not processor hungry, they are GPU hungry.

That depends on the game.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The i7 is increasingly becoming better for gaming, especially with DX12.

Check this out:

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

That depends on the game.

Well maybe we need to know the exact games the OP is playing. It's pretty rare for a CPU to demand more power than an 4690K

2 minutes ago, cyphon21 said:

Well maybe we need to know the exact games the OP is playing. It's pretty rare for a CPU to demand more power than an 4690K

Bear in mind that with a GTX 1080, you are essentially getting the power of two 980s(more or less), and so the normal criteria may not count anymore. I agree with the idea that most games will work fine with the 4690, but some titles like the Civilization series, Witcher 3, GTA V, etc are very CPU heavy, and the Core i7 might benefit them, especially when you're dealing with higher draw calls. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I play a wide variety of games so just in general. However I did notice in siege CPU was at 100% and GPU was at 70% and fps was at 110 with the 4690k and a 1070.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

I play a wide variety of games so just in general. However I did notice in siege CPU was at 100% and GPU was at 70% and fps was at 110 with the 4690k and a 1070.

depends how much money you have etc. the i5-4690K is still a very good CPU for gaming especially if overclocked but if you aim for high fps and not much anti-aliasing there are gains to be made over the i5 if you get an i7-6700K defenetly.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR