Should I get an i5 or and i7

Pizzalord
Go to solution Solved by smokefest,

I5 for gaming is enough. I7 will bring an extra 5% frames maybe. Some games i7 will not benefits at all.

That said, for a budget pc, i5 with a better gpu is better than i7 with a less good gpu..

If you are rich, then get the i7 , if ur on a budget, get i5 for sure.

I7 is just an extra buck spender. its better. but in term of $ for performance, i5 is the shit

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

Yeah i agree 8350 performs well. but not as much as any intel because of the single core performance on intel.

No difference in ROTTR

Without knowing what GPU was used for testing, that video is useless

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, smokefest said:

Yea because games dosnt use much cores. Maybe one day but now still the single core performance is the most important factor in games.

Wish you guys were right so we can buy cheap 8 core amd and performs well in futur games butr all the games i check with the i7 runs almost as the same fps as the i5.

Games you named included

Actually, single-core performance hasn't been important for almost a year now. Just look at TB's port reports. When he has afterburner overlay enabled, you can clearly see ALL 16 threads of his 5960X are being used at varying levels. That just proves that game are MULTI-THREADED

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, smokefest said:

Do you notice how often the i5 hits 100% usage? Indicating that it has reached its limit and is incapable of feeding the GPU any further and thus not being able to deliver the performance it can otherwise. Mind you, this is at 1440p

cities skylyne : 5 fps difference for 100-150$ nahhhh thanks :)

I hope we see 8 cores being a lot more powerful in the next years for games, 

but it simply isnt the case now.

You want extra power extra fps i7 will give it to you, but very very few in 90% of games.

Better go i5 again and again even with all the new games and shit and dx12

Not because a cpu reach 100% means the gpu is bottlenecked.... why then is the fps the same ? 

I guess we will see in the next few years if the games will go on multi core and stuff, but for now, it simply isnt worth it

I liked the arguing tho :) I think we are both right, and I agree with you that soon or later the hyper threading and extra cores will be relevent. I hope.

Now, would you buy an I7 for that extra garbage fps you get ? saying in couple years games will take advantages of multi cores and hyper threading etc.. isnt relevent because...

At that time you will have upgraded your cpu already xD lollll :)

2 hours ago, Pizzalord said:

Hey guys,

I'm planning on building a building my first pc and my final obstacle is determining whether I should get an i5 or an i7. The specific models I'm interested in are the i5 6500 and the i7 6700; and I tried reading the the spec sheets on intel but I don't understand everything that they're saying. I plan on using the computer for some gaming and normal-level video editing - so nothing special. But after consulting my friends, they told me to get the i7 because it will last me longer and that I will later come to appreciate the features that the i5 doesn't have. However, the price difference between an i5 and an i7 is pretty big here where i'm from; so if someone could help tell me whether the extra cash i'll be putting in will be worth it or not, I'll really appreciate it.

Thank you!

You haven't mentioned what graphics card you plan to pair with the CPU, but I doubt any game out now or coming out in the near future would deliver unplayable framerates due to an i5-6500 being the bottleneck.  Any performance gains from having the i7 would be mostly at lower resolutions with powerful graphics cards, and would diminish at higher resolutions/quality settings. 

If you're aiming for 100+ fps at lower resolutions then the i7 might be needed to get you there, and you would also need to look at a gaming monitor (144Hz).

1 hour ago, smokefest said:

I7 is better i agree, but wouldnt say a i5 is weak for a gtx 1070 or 1080, you get almost the same damn fps. would I pay 150$ more for 5 more fps ? nah

i5 has 20-30% "unusable" performance, due to its design. Hyper-threading helps eliminate that.

Since you seem to be completely blank when it comes to this kinda tech.

Hyper-threading is the "CPU equivalent" of Asynchronous Compute.

Now, watch this video, and instead of thinking of the video as a GPU fuctionality explanation, think of it as "This is how hyper-threading works". Because it more or less is, on a basic level. If you want to get nerdy about it, it has different functions and effects, but basically its the same.

9 hours ago, Thorimus said:

i5-6600K if you're overclocking (requires Z170 motherboard), 6600 if you're not. With some light OC:ing you can easily reach stock-i7-6700K-speed performance in games.

Even if you aren't planning to overclock now a K sku is still something most people should get just for overclocking down the road. And a Z170 chipset also!