What is my bottleneck?

bmx95ify

Hey guys!

I'm new here, the only posts before this one were for giveaways XDDDD

Anyway, I have a question that's bothering me: What is my bottleneck? Whenever I play games I feel like I'm bottlenecking somewhere, but couldn't ever figure out what is the cause of the problem.

I have an Asus M5A97 R2.0 mobo, AMD FX-8320E (yes I know) and a GTX 660. 

The games I mostly play are: CS:GO, Rust (that is where I feel like my PC is underperforming), and maybe Portal 2 or some simulator like ETS 2 or ATS 2. I am also looking forward to Forza Horizon 3.

Thanks!

Why do you think your PC is underperforming?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Your GPU. I had a friend with a 660 and it used to be good, but it's certainly past its prime.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Why do you think your PC is underperforming?

It seems slow. I've had games like TDU 2 (which shouldn't be hard to run) be pretty laggy for me.

Also, I don't think that my GPU would be able to run Forza Horizon 3 at high settings, along with other new games.

Also #2: The reason why I want to play FH3 on high settings is to see the detail. I haven't experienced a game like this ever before. Maybe it's just hype.xD

5 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

Your GPU. I had a friend with a 660 and it used to be good, but it's certainly past its prime.

I know it's a 2012 GPU. I was thinking of upgrading to a 1060, maybe 1070 or even 1080 (if I got a small loan of a dead meme) by March or so.

1 minute ago, bmx95ify said:

I know it's a 2012 GPU. I was thinking of upgrading to a 1060, maybe 1070 or even 1080 (if I got a small loan of a dead meme) by March or so.

Here is that small loan of a dead meme to get that 1060. BTW that cpu will bottleneck a 1070 and 1080

download (4).jpg

5 minutes ago, bmx95ify said:

It seems slow. I've had games like TDU 2 (which shouldn't be hard to run) be pretty laggy for me.

Also, I don't think that my GPU would be able to run Forza Horizon 3 at high settings, along with other new games.

Also #2: The reason why I want to play FH3 on high settings is to see the detail. I haven't experienced a game like this ever before. Maybe it's just hype.xD

What's your GPU usage in CSGO?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What's your GPU usage in CSGO?

Heck, I actually don't know how to do this. Is it in net_graph 1?

Mostly the GPU, I'd see how the GTX 1050 performs or just get a RX 460/470, I wouldn't personally pair a 8370E with a 1060 but you could put it with a 1060/70 or RX 480/490 if you plan on getting a CPU upgrade to either Zen or switch to Intel

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 minutes ago, bmx95ify said:

Download MSI Afterburner, launch it while playing a game, close the game after 5 or so minutes of gameplay, and then look at the GPU usage graph and tell me what you see.

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

Mostly the GPU, I'd see how the GTX 1050 performs or just get a RX 460/470, I wouldn't personally pair a 8370E with a 1060 but you could put it with a 1060/70 or RX 480/490 if you plan on getting a CPU upgrade to either Zen or switch to Intel

Sorry, but If I'm changing my GPU I will go only for 4GB+. I know that it doesn't really matter, but I want to see for myself.

I am considering changing my CPU and mobo instead of upgrading to a 1060.

Sorry, but If I'm changing my GPU I will go only for 4GB+. I know that it doesn't really matter, but I want to see for myself.

I am considering changing my CPU and mobo instead of upgrading to a 1060.

4GB is fine, my 290 kicks ass in 1080p.

Anyway the 460/470/480 all have 4GB variants, I'd personally go for a 480 if you plan on keeping it for awhile. Despite what people say, AMD performs so far except for 1 game has performed much much better in DX12/Vulkan which more devs will start to incorporate.

I don't know if id upgrade your CPU/Mobo yet, with Kaby Lake and Zen around the corner Skylake will drop in price, especially in the used market.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

4GB is fine, my 290 kicks ass in 1080p.

Anyway the 460/470/480 all have 4GB variants, I'd personally go for a 480 if you plan on keeping it for awhile. Despite what people say, AMD performs so far except for 1 game has performed much much better in DX12/Vulkan which more devs will start to incorporate.

I don't know if id upgrade your CPU/Mobo yet, with Kaby Lake and Zen around the corner Skylake will drop in price, especially in the used market.

"Sorry I couldn't hear your comment my PC is too loud"

Should I buy an aftermarket cooler for my CPU?

Spoiler

YES

I don't live in USA or the UK, so I don't really use the used market here. You can't really trust any person here in central europe XDDDD

9 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Download MSI Afterburner, launch it while playing a game, close the game after 5 or so minutes of gameplay, and then look at the GPU usage graph and tell me what you see.

I am in the process on installing it, though I think I will test my usage tommorow. It's 01:41 rn in Poland.

"Sorry I couldn't hear your comment my PC is too loud"

Should I buy an aftermarket cooler for my CPU?

Hide contents

YES

Eh, that's $20-$35.

I'd suggest a BeQuiet! PURE ROCK ir a Cryorig M9a for your CPU, still stand with my RX 480 statement though.

Also what's the rest if your specs? PSU mostly

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Eh, that's $20-$35.

I'd suggest a BeQuiet! PURE ROCK ir a Cryorig M9a for your CPU, still stand with my RX 480 statement though.

Also what's the rest if your specs? PSU mostly

PSU: Antec 500W

WD Hard Drive (1TB)

8GB of ram at 936Mhz (??? should be about 1k ???)

41 minutes ago, bmx95ify said:

PSU: Antec 500W

WD Hard Drive (1TB)

8GB of ram at 936Mhz (??? should be about 1k ???)

What Antec power supply?

9 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What Antec power supply?

VP500PC

11 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I see 60-70% usage.

44 minutes ago, bmx95ify said:

I see 60-70% usage.

What is your maximum temperature? 

In the graph for the GPU temperature, you should see a minimum value and a maximum value(and that applies to each respective graph). What's the highest value that you're seeing?

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What is your maximum temperature? 

In the graph for the GPU temperature, you should see a minimum value and a maximum value(and that applies to each respective graph). What's the highest value that you're seeing?

99 degrees celsius. fuck

Just now, bmx95ify said:

99 degrees celsius. fuck

Your GPU is overheating big time. 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Your GPU is overheating big time. 

I knew it. How do I overcome this issue? More fans?

This is how my setup looks.

I knew it. How do I overcome this issue? More fans?

This is how my setup looks.

Can you get an internal picture of your computer? How many case fans do you have? And what GTX 660 do you have?

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Can you get an internal picture of your computer? How many fans do you have? And what GTX 660 do you have?

Pic

4 fans (1 pc, 1 cpu, 2 gpu). Gigabyte GTX 660.

Also, I didn't assemble the PC.