ATX vs Micro ATX

So I have been seeing a lot on the forums here about people who are planning a new Build for their PC, but I have to ask this question because I am getting confused beyond belief about why people are recommending it.

I have seen in a large number of posts the Micro ATX Board being recommended whilst people are building in  ATX Towers.

I understand the advantage that it takes up less space in the tower, but that doesn't actually change the fact that the backplate still typically has to be put in the same position as a full sized ATX Board.
I understand the componants are closer together on a Micro-ATX board, which begs me to ask why would you want that when cooling off a rig that you are overclocking, or heavily gaming on is going to be a factor.
So the Micro ATX board can support up to 32 GB RAM but only has 2 Slots available. and often I am finding it only supports 16GB RAM(not in the example given below)
On almost all Micro-ATX Boards there is often only 1 PCIE lane - which ok nice as it is to have one running at full bandwidth capacity, I want to be able to Run SLI in my new Build when I finally get to it (Summer 2017)

That and there is often a lot more funtionality on a Standard ATX Board that isn't available on the Micro-ATX Boards.

As an Enthusiast Builder and Avid Gamer, Why would I want to Go with the Micro-ATX Board that I am finding is so often being recommended in here in suggestion lists because of it's price for budget builds.

But what are your thoughts and opinions on this?

My Current Rig
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (OC 4.8 GHz) CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus S-abertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 750 TI (OC)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) & Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866

PSU: Fractal Design Edison M750W 8O+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case: Fractal Design Core Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case

matx boards are normally cheaper and most people get cheaper boards, as the motherboard makes no difference in performance.

You can get matx boards with 4+ ram slots and 64+gb max ram. You can get 16gb and bigger dimms now.

If you building a budget rig, you don't care about sli.

I had to upgrade my micro-ATX board to a full ATX board on my Sandy Bridge server because I ran out of slots and wanted multiple TV tuner cards, an add-in disk controller, etc. 

If you're committed already to the full-ATX case, and don't mind the extra $20 or whatever the full-sized boards cost, then you should get one.  You never know when your requirements might change, or you get an awesome deal on SLI'ed video cards or whatever. 

Most newer M-ATX boards I have seen offer 4 DDR4 ram slots... unless you're going very low end maybe.

The reason I would choose M-ATX for my next build is the convenience of moving between m-ATX and ATX cases... I have almost given up on BIG cases now, but would still like the option in the future without having to also change motherboard again... eg at the moment I am using an ATX board in an ATX case, stuck without a motherboard change as I obviously can't fit it in an m-ATX case.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

as the motherboard makes no difference in performance

Eh, not always true. For overclocking, a solidly built motherboard can make a pretty big difference on performance and component life.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

2 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Eh, not always true. For overclocking, a solidly built motherboard can make a pretty big difference on performance and component life.

Most people  building budget builds have non overclocking chips. Also motherboard life seems to be about the same.

In my opinion why someone would choose mATX board over ATX is because they could also be using mATX case that is smaller in dimensions than ATX case.

If you have plenty of desk/floor space then you can even use E-ATX or HPTX MoBo and case but if you're limited with desk/floor space then mATX fares better than regular ATX.

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

as the motherboard makes no difference in performance.

23 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Both are correct and true, but think that what Wizardy means is that mATX is not automatically less for performance compared to ATX with same components used. They only have less room to cram the same stuff on a board.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list