Apple 2016 keynote event and product release thread

1 minute ago, Kimmers said:

The jet black reminds me of the lovely iPhone 4. I wonder if it feels the same and if it does, I might pay the premium for 128gb just to get it.

would be afraid to scratch it though

also this:

he high-gloss finish of the Jet Black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

These upgrades are always lackluster IMO. If somebody is going to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone, wait for the "S" version. These regular versions are a cash grab for impatient people. The "S" version is where it's at.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Well, the Iphone 7 Plus is quite interesting and so is the Iphone 7. I think the new Apple Watch Series 2 is packs great features, being even more water resistant than the Gear S3, which is surprising. Still curious tough, it has 2 speakers, but 3 grills. Whats the left one for? Microphone, 3D Touch fuctionality? Dont tell me its aesthetic... that would be dumb as heck.

Still think the Gear S3 Frontier is better than the Apple Watch Series 2, altough the Iphone 7 Plus sounds like a really interesting phone. Maybe my next phone :l in Jet Black 128GB, unless the Pixel XL is insanely competitive, which is what i expect.

Groomlake Authority

This conversation exploded, maybe I'll read through it at some point...

Anyway...

I can't say I'm surprised at anything Apple's doing. Almost all of it is astonishingly stupid on multiple levels, especially the headphone jack thing, but that's par for the course.

I'd love to rant about any one thing, but damn... I'm just being overloaded by "Apple just did that thing you thought was a bad joke a month ago" news...

And I can't read their product pages for very long. Some things make me cringe, but Apple marketing... Well, I have no idea how to express what it does.

Sorry for sounding so negative, I'm just reeling from Apple basically reaffirming half the reasons I dislike them in a massive parade of shouting press.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well, the Iphone 7 Plus is quite interesting and so is the Iphone 7. I think the new Apple Watch Series 2 is packs great features, being even more water resistant than the Gear S3, which is surprising. Still curious tough, it has 2 speakers, but 3 grills. Whats the left one for? Microphone, 3D Touch fuctionality? Dont tell me its aesthetic... that would be dumb as heck.

Still think the Gear S3 Frontier is better than the Apple Watch Series 2, altough the Iphone 7 Plus sounds like a really interesting phone. Maybe my next phone :l in Jet Black 128GB, unless the Pixel XL is insanely competitive, which is what i expect.

128gb 7 plus. WE GOT A BIG SPENDER HERE BOYS! kidding.

I might do the same actually but seeing how the 7 got a 2hr boost to battery life and OIS, I might just go with the regular 7. Not sure if I'll need the extra screen real estate, dual cameras of the 7 plus.

6 minutes ago, o0Martin said:

Not sure if I'm in the minority, but I actually really like the shape of EarPods lol, they fit me perfectly and never fall out in the gym or when I'm running; really handy with these seeing as they would be easy enough to lose if they fall out. (And with the price point you defo wont want to lose them lol) 

I usually spend around 2 hours a day on the go, quite often even more, and I couldn't use them for more than a week. My gf has an iPhone 6S so I though "Hey, why not, let's try them". For me personally, they are arguably the worst shaped earphones I have ever used. 

Can't say if you're minority or not, but I only know 1 person that uses them, everyone else has some other earphones.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Kimmers said:

-snip-

Yeah it will cost 989€ overhere.... gosh! But hey its better than wasting 1100€ for the 256GB variant. Also the 4K-60fps was never confirmed :(. And the fast charging oh god, not present again! Funny is for 989€ i can get the Iphone 7 256GB, but then again it wouldnt be as satisfying :P

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

Yeah it will cost 989€ overhere.... gosh! But hey its better than wasting 1100€ for the 256GB variant. Also the 4K-60fps was never confirmed :(. And the fast charging oh god, not present again!

yea I personally wouldn't ever fill up 256gb of storage on a phone. I'm currently using 17/64gb on my phone so I'll probably go with 32gb matte black but its tempting to upgrade for the jet black.

Just now, Kimmers said:

-snip-

Im guessing that phone will disappear in the first 5 days or so in my country. In North America, probably in 1 day hehe. Gotta be ready for it!

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Im guessing that phone will disappear in the first 5 days or so in my country. In North America, probably in 1 day hehe. Gotta be ready for it!

true! and with the latest Samsung recall, I'm guessing Apple is expecting an increase in sales for those on the fence of switching.

1 minute ago, Kimmers said:

yea I personally wouldn't ever fill up 256gb of storage on a phone. I'm currently using 17/64gb on my phone so I'll probably go with 32gb matte black but its tempting to upgrade for the jet black.

Seriously? I'm rocking 30/32 of my phone memory and 34/64 on my SD card!

Can't wait till i get my 64gig note7 and put my new 128gig card in it lol.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Really hoping for something good. I'm still holding onto my Ipod Touch 4g.

Spoiler

Gaijin-Oni: 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM
    Corsair 4x8GB 3200MHz Vengeance RGB Pro
  • GPU
    RX 7900 XT
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5
  • Storage
    1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVME
    1x 8TB Seagate Drives (Shucked)
    2x 1TB HP SSD's
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000w PSU
  • Display(s)
    Viotek 1440p 144hz 27in
    LG 4K 32in
    Acer 1080p 27in
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i Capellix
  • Keyboard
    Red Dragon K552 Modded
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 Elite
  • Sound
    SoundBlaster Pro Audigy (Sennheiser HDXX's)
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 64-bit

1 minute ago, Noctus said:

Seriously? I'm rocking 30/32 of my phone memory and 34/64 on my SD card!

Can't wait till i get my 64gig note7 and put my new 128gig card in it lol.

Yea different use cases for different people. I personally prefer the faster storage on iPhones and will gladly take a smaller storage size for faster speed (its like putting an SSD in a PC, makes such a big difference).

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

I usually spend around 2 hours a day on the go, quite often even more, and I couldn't use them for more than a week. My gf has an iPhone 6S so I though "Hey, why not, let's try them". For me personally, they are arguably the worst shaped earphones I have ever used. 

Can't say if you're minority or not, but I only know 1 person that uses them, everyone else has some other earphones.

For every person I see who says the Earpods are uncomfortable and poorly shaped, I see someone for whom they work just fine.

... The way I phrased that sounds like I'm being nice to the Earpods... I shall rectify that...

Every single other mainstream company that produces earphones, with few exceptions (which are always unpopular), can manage to make their products comfortable and functional for more than 90% of their consumer base. Apple went with a hard plastic shell which will, by design, be highly uncomfortable for anyone whose ears aren't shaped a certain way, and they didn't compensate with anything except for aesthetics, which they then charged a hefty premium for. The Earpods are the very definition of a bad product.

When half the customers can't wear a company's earphones, it either means they're airline freebies or the company's engineers did a poor job.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Jesus Christ all mighty! The Iphone 7 Plus 128GB costs 1,029€ O-O! And the 256GB is 1,139€ O_O!

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Get a 6s then. Much better buy. $549 for 32GB (they stopped selling the 16GB of all the phones minus the SE good grief). You still have an industry standard audio port that's superior to anything wireless and will remain to be that for a loooooooooong time.

Actually, Apple may have made a mistake by selling a still-faster-than-literary-anything-out-there-except-the-iPhone 7 flagship with the 6S and also give it 32GB of storage. That's going to eat away at their iPhone 7 sales since it's a much better value, especially in the EU where price gouging is a standard thing to do nowadays thanks to the bazillion additional taxes.

Ye ole' train

Haven't watched the stream but this is what I've gathered from around. Things that I find interesting (not necessarily in a good way):

• 7 still has that low resolution screen. I've said it before, there is a huge difference in sharpness when watching videos on it an my 3 years old G2 which has 1080p screen
  • Battery got a bump, that's awesome, why not use it to, let's say, make the screen higher res? iPhones can last for quite some time without charging as it is
  • 2 GB of RAM for both models? Both? Is that true?
  • Where did the 64 GB model go? Only 32/128/256? Why? I'd bet that would've been the best selling model
  • Quite interested in how the dual camera will work. And what Linus will say about that considering he didn't even mention it on the G5
  • The CPU is Quad Core? That's gonna be a ridiculous beast
  • And that marketing "Jet black is exclusively available in 128GB and 256GB models." Straight from their website

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

For every person I see who says the Earpods are uncomfortable and poorly shaped, I see someone for whom they work just fine.

... The way I phrased that sounds like I'm being nice to the Earpods... I shall rectify that...

Every single other mainstream company that produces earphones, with few exceptions (which are always unpopular), can manage to make their products comfortable and functional for more than 90% of their consumer base. Apple went with a hard plastic shell which will, by design, be highly uncomfortable for anyone whose ears aren't shaped a certain way, and they didn't compensate with anything except for aesthetics, which they then charged a hefty premium for. The Earpods are the very definition of a bad product.

When half the customers can't wear a company's earphones, it either means they're airline freebies or the company's engineers did a poor job.

Lots of anecdotal and random ass numbers. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:
  • And that marketing "Jet black is exclusively available in 128GB and 256GB models." Straight from their website

I remember having the 1st iPhone when i didn't know any better. It was jet black lol. U'd think they invented the colour they way i've seen people talk about it.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

11 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Haven't watched the stream but this is what I've gathered from around. Things that I find interesting (not necessarily in a good way):

• 7 still has that low resolution screen. I've said it before, there is a huge difference in sharpness when watching videos on it an my 3 years old G2 which has 1080p screen
  • Battery got a bump, that's awesome, why not use it to, let's say, make the screen higher res? iPhones can last for quite some time without charging as it is
  • Where did the 64 GB model go? Only 32/128/256? Why? I'd bet that would've been the best selling model
  • Quite interested in how the dual camera will work. And what Linus will say about that considering he didn't even mention it on the G5

There really isn't any benefit to a higher res screen. I've used the S7 Edge and the 6s+ and the resollution doesn't matter. 

They got rid of the 64gb model because then it would be 32, 64, 128 (and 64gb would be heavily undermined by 32gb model) at the same pricepoints. 

It looks like the dual camera is one lens for telphoto and one for wide angle? At least that's what I gathered from the spec page -- I didn't see the keynote. 

It's big.Little

Jet Black probably costs enough more that they don't consider it worthwhile to make it on the cheaper models. 

5 minutes ago, Noctus said:

I remember having the 1st iPhone when i didn't know any better. It was jet black lol. U'd think they invented the colour they way i've seen people talk about it.

Jet black aluminum is pretty impressive. It's not as simple as making plastic or glass glossy black.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

-snip-

Thing is i dont want to set myself with something weaker than what i already have that needs replacement, the S6. By weaker i mean, not having technology quite superior. Also the new Iphones gains far outweigh its downside for me. I personally dont use the headphone much and i mostly play for games, which is what this phone aims for. Also pictures and videos ofc. With the new display colour gamut, it should be really nice.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

They got rid of the 64gb model because then it would be 32, 64, 128 (and 64gb would be heavily undermined by 32gb model) at the same pricepoints. 

Yeah.... can't wipe the 32gb variant entirely and have the 64gb take over that and make less profits. That would eat into that 100bill in the bank, can't be having that, oh no, certainly not.

Lol.

9 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Quad-core as in big.LITTLE. Not full quad-core.

So those Geekbench scores we've seen floating around may be true after all. It was just picking up on the low powered cores at 400 MHz while in reality the big cores were going apeshit.

Ye ole' train

I can understand going digital on the headphones, i don't mind that. Android just needs to follow with putting their usbc port on the bottom and not all over the place. But where is the ps4 pro thread ?