Photoshop Gif Help

Im trying to make a gif in photoshop elements 10 ( I know, cheap- but it works for what I need it to do... Except for this)

I have around 30 or so frames for this gif, each frame being a Jpeg that's 1800x1050. When I try to save it, I click animate and I get a popup error exclaiming that its too big.

Any ideas? Im kind of fresh meat to animation and that area.

Edit:-- And yes, I've tried making the images smaller.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't think photoshop can do animated gifs. I know you can with ame if you have the full cc suite. 

I've done two frame gifs in photoshop previously, but nothing at a larger scale like 30 frames. I guess its just a limitation of elements then.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

On 9/3/2016 at 3:11 AM, Slottr said:

I've done two frame gifs in photoshop previously, but nothing at a larger scale like 30 frames. I guess its just a limitation of elements then.

You could download Gimp (free open source photo editor that can also make gif animations) and make the gif in there. The way you do it there is you have every frame on a different layer (import the pictures by dragging them from the explorer to the layer window) and after that making sure they are in the right order (bottom layer is the first shown frame of the gif) and optionally adding different lengths of the frames (if you don't you say in the export settings that all frames should be the same length. The way you add the lengths is by adding "(100ms)" to the end of the layer name. Of course without the quotation marks, but with the brackets). After that you go to File > Export as > give it a name and end it with ".gif" and than you come to a settings window.

The settings:

Interlace: interlacing normally means the effect of making frames 'flow' into each other. That way you can create for example from 30fps footage, pretty convincing (but 'fake') 60fps footage. I didn't find any difference between having this or not having it in a simple picture to picture animation of mine. You can try it and see if you like it better or not.

GIF comment: completely optional. 

As animation: you want to check this box, otherwise it will be exported as a static gif image.

Loop forever: pretty obvious what it does :P If you untick this, it will play all frames once

Delay between frames where unspecified: I talked about this earlier. If you have entered a delay to all frames via the layer name method, you don't have to edit this. If you just want all frames to be the same length in time, you can set it here (the layer length thing 'overwrites' this, as this settings is only triggered if there is no time length added to the layer name)

Frame disposal where unspecified: you can leave it on "I don't care", I personally haven't found much difference between all options

Use delay entered above for all frames: this overwrites the layer time length thing

Use disposal entered above for all frames: I usually leave this unticked

And after that you have your gif animation.

If I were you I would take a look at it though and check if it looks any good though and if the file size is not too big. With .gif's compression bigger pictures often look quite terrible and are way big too. Usually the animations I make are 800x800 or so (width or height maybe change depending on aspect ratio) because I just find the gif size to be good and the compression not getting too much in the way. If the compression is still too much, you probably need to think of a different solution, like using a .swf or a different animation method.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you are animating that large you would be better off with a video format. That's probably why you are getting that error. Gifs with even a few frames can have pretty large file sizes if you're not careful. I would suggest trying to get a copy of Flash or Toonz (which I hear is free now.). Gifs have a limited amount of colors, so converting a jpg to gif isn't going to look very good in the long run. By the way, jpgs are also a compressed image format, so they tend to look pixelated in order to have a smaller file size. Png would be a much better choice for 2d art static images. I hope this helps you a little bit. Good luck with your animations. :D