*NOT URGENT* Just need to bash heads with GTX 970 "issue" with another techie.

Go to solution Solved by TheDrunkenGamer,

So you mentioned "its not in the first DIMM", are you meaning it isn't in the top PCIE slot?.

If so I would recommend possibly trying a PCIE cable going from the top PCIE slot to the GPU, don't even have to mount it properly if you're just testing (although make sure you aren't sitting it on anything conductive of course).

If it runs a lot better then bobs your uncle you have found the issue.

Also a lot of people have reported issues with the new nvidia driver, I havent even updated to it and get 86fps @ 1440p on my 980ti so I would recommend a driver rollback if you've updated just to try it out.

On top of that also check your PSU and make sure you're getting enough power to your system (I assume it is if your performance went up with your recent power settings change).

The other option is checking gpu-z to make sure your GPU is running at the full PCIE 3.0/3.1 @ 16x (you will see this on the right hand side of the application. 

Failing the above things, I would check other system resources and of course making sure the scaling in bf1 is at 42% as that is 100% of the set resolution (I know I know....it makes no sense).

So, I've got a decently powerful computer. i7 5820k - GTX 970 (EVGA FTW+) Both OC'd (4.4 stable and 1484 stable)

16GB of 2666 ram, Win 10.

So, I so far, have issues with the BF1 Beta, and Deus Ex MD. (BF1 I get 31 FPS, DEMD I get 47 fps.) So, BF1 is an issue, since that's AWFUL FPS for a GTX 970 on medium settings. (DEMD, I suppose you can claim console port.) So, I did the main stuff you do. Temps, check OC's, Restart PC, Roll-back drivers, download different drivers (Thanks, Nvidia.) ETC. ETC. Nothing changes the FPS (Beyond 2 or 3). I also did the whole BF1 fixes or whatever. So, I've got a friend with a 760ti. He's decently tech savvy, and he told me he gets 50 - 60 fps solid (Medium settings) in the BF1 beta. He even showed me his FPS, and he does that the frame-rate. Me? 31 fps. Same res (its not a VRAM issue,, same IN game settings, just different computers. 

So, mainly I don't REALLY care, (Not a huge fan of BF games or any FPS's anymore, thankfully those games I have the most trouble in) I'm more curious. But, I can't really find a "Hey, I'm curious thread" (Sorry mods if their is) but I'd like to butt heads with someone on the topic. ME personally, I just feel its crappy drivers on Nvidia's side for the 900 series cards (Considering the 1000 series is out, getting crap fps in new drivers is a "business tactic" I've seen them do (the horror stories of older cards getting nuked from drivers). 

Anyone else with 900 series cards (or have owned them) and getting the same issues, in other games, or in the same ones?   

GTX970 G1 here, I get well above 60FPS @1080p but I tweaked a few settings

have you tried to switch to the Prefer Maximum Performance in nvidia CP ? also, revert back to factory clocks for diagnosing purposes

am on high at 1440p and getting in the mid 70 with a 970. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

a 965M gives me 60+ FPS on high.

welp...

i did have one game where my FPS dropped down to 20 for some reason, so maybe it's just a beta thing for bf1

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Check your GPU usage in BF1. And even gtx 1080 can't play deus x at 1080p ultra 60 fps. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

Forgot to mention - GPU utilization sits at 99% and CPU sits at 36%. However, it is a i7 5820k, so I can see why it'd have an easy time with BF1 and not running too hard.

So, I did try Prefer maximum performance, and stock clocks. It boosted to 1481, and I got a positive increase in 1080p of around 5 fps. Which is good.

Still, I can't break the mid sixties unless I'm looking up at the sky. If I get into it with a bunch of people, it'll drop to 31 fps so fast its crazy.   

Hmm. I'm actually remembering some stuff. So, because of my cooler (NH-D15) I can't place my 970 into the first DIMM slot on my Mobo. HOWEVER, if it was running in 8X (Which it ISN'T, My mobo is 16x 16x 8x 4x) I still shouldn't be getting such massive fps hits. 

I didn't have enough money at the time to buy a proper monitor, so I'm running on a "TV" (Its a pretty damn low-latency TV, its below 5-MS for sure ( Got a friend with a 144 at 1-MS and he could barely feel a difference beyond 60hz - 144hz). I guess I need to buy a proper monitor and see if that makes any difference. (was going to anyway, but now it seems a bit more important, seeing how my FPS has dropped some-what in the past 4 months.) So maybe, but still, not 100% sure its that problem too, because in games like squad, I get great FPS (55 - 60 EASY).   

GPU is at 99% load at all times. IKR, But like I said, you can chalk up DXMD to console port + CRAZY settings difference between high and medium (8X MSAA? Damn dude.)

2 minutes ago, Gold Walnut said:

GPU is at 99% load at all times. IKR, But like I said, you can chalk up DXMD to console port + CRAZY settings difference between high and medium (8X MSAA? Damn dude.)

Its so late dude XD. Sorry. MY BAD. C-OMPUTE NOT WORK-ING.

20 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Check your GPU usage in BF1. And even gtx 1080 can't play deus x at 1080p ultra 60 fps. 

For ABOVE above XD.

2 minutes ago, Gold Walnut said:

For ABOVE above XD.

If it's at 99%, just check some benchmarks and see if you get the same performance most GTX 970 are getting. You should go way higher than a standard 970 because of the massive overclock you have. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

1 minute ago, Shubham Yadav said:

If it's at 99%, just check some benchmarks and see if you get the same performance most GTX 970 are getting. You should go way higher than a standard 970 because of the massive overclock you have. 

EXACTLY what I thought. And! Ding ding ding, begins my problem. I see people getting 100ish FPS in BF1 with a GTX 970, on High, in 1080p, with LOWER clocks... I can't figure out why my FPS is pretty much CUT in HALF (And its not a VSYNC thing, I did already check that lol.)

53 minutes ago, Gold Walnut said:

EXACTLY what I thought. And! Ding ding ding, begins my problem. I see people getting 100ish FPS in BF1 with a GTX 970, on High, in 1080p, with LOWER clocks... I can't figure out why my FPS is pretty much CUT in HALF (And its not a VSYNC thing, I did already check that lol.)

That's why you should run some benchmarks. Try to run unigine heaven or valley. 

I believe I fixed it! So, the problem being: Windows 10 sucks massive butt basically. Their was a hidden power setting that "Throttled" my CPU back (More like parked) due to a power management setting in "Balanced mode". So, anyone with a 6+ Core CPU in Windows 10, remember to stick it into "Performance mode" Vs any other, or you lose massive to little levels of performance in not all but some games (I noticed that in ARMA 3, when friends with slower GPU's / CPU's had higher FPS then I did). I cannot fathom why I would even need power management settings in the first place (Its a desktop, not a laptop.) But, that seemingly fixed my problem in SC, so I'm checking other games I've had issues with this second.

Any Windows install

Never defaults to high performance.

Windows should have an autodetect for known 'desktop' CPUs and just do it, or ask upon first loading into windows..

A questionaire or something for tailoring windows to your likings would be nice.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Its not perfect, but I went from 34 fps on medium settings in hangar on Star Citizen to 60 solid, where BF1 became playable at low settings but still is not even close to some other peoples 970's... 

I'm running outta ideas beyond somehow my overclocked, cooled as hell 970 is just worse then other 970's cause I dunno Illuminati confirmed and some tech wizardry XC.

So you mentioned "its not in the first DIMM", are you meaning it isn't in the top PCIE slot?.

If so I would recommend possibly trying a PCIE cable going from the top PCIE slot to the GPU, don't even have to mount it properly if you're just testing (although make sure you aren't sitting it on anything conductive of course).

Also a lot of people have reported issues with the new nvidia driver, I havent even updated to it and get 86fps @ 1440p on my 980ti so I would recommend a driver rollback if you've updated just to try it out.

On top of that also check your PSU and make sure you're getting enough power to your system (I assume it is if your performance went up with your recent power settings change).

The other option is checking gpu-z to make sure your GPU is running at the full PCIE 3.0/3.1 @ 16x (you will see this on the right hand side of the application. 

Failing the above things, I would check other system resources and of course making sure the scaling in bf1 is at 42% as that is 100% of the set resolution (I know I know....it makes no sense).

System #1 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit||6700k @4.4ghz||Gigabyte Z170x Gaming G1||Corsair H110 GT AIO||250GB m.2 (OS) drive+500GB SSD+2x 250gb SSD All Samsung||CoolerMaster 1200w Titanium PSU||G.Skill 32gb DDR4 3000mhz CAS16||GTX 980Ti @ 1.4ghz Core/7.4ghz Vram||Philips BDM4065 40" 4k Monitor||CoolerMaster Ultra Cosmos 2 Tower||Roccat 5.1 XTD digital Headset||Logitech Z906 5.1||G15 Logitech KB + G502 Logitech Mouse

System #2 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit||i7 3820 @4.5ghz||ASRock x79 Exteme 6||Corsair H100 AIO||G.Skill 16GB DDR3 2133mhz @ 2000mhz||250gb SSD (OS) Drive||Barracuda 7200rpm 2TB storage/media drive||750W Corsair HX750i PSU||Powercolour R9 290x||AOC 24" 1080p Monitor||Thermaltake V51 Mid Tower||Generic MS KB+Mouse||Logitech Z5500 5.1

18 hours ago, TheDrunkenGamer said:

It was running in PCIE x1 FOR WHATEVER REASON. My Mobo CLEARLY states in the manual its 4x PCIE16x top and second in 3.0x16, 3rd in 2.0x8 and last 2.0x4...

Oh well, its fixed now. Its always the simple things that you never think to look for...