PCIE Lanes Limitation? 6700k+SLI

Hey Guys,

I have a question. I currently have a 6700k on a Gigabyte Gaming 7 z170x board.

I am upgrading to 2x gtx1080s. I have some questions about the PCIE lanes. I have a samsung 950 PRO NVME SSD.

Will 2x1080+the NVME drive work? I know that is exactly 20 lanes.

Also will that disable ALL my sata ports? I have a 2.5 inch ssd and a mechanical hard drive as well.

Thanks for the help LTT Forums!

Matt

1 minute ago, Mgibbs829 said:

Hey Guys,

I have a question. I currently have a 6700k on a Gigabyte Gaming 7 z170x board.

I am upgrading to 2x gtx1080s. I have some questions about the PCIE lanes. I have a samsung 950 PRO NVME SSD.

Will 2x1080+the NVME drive work? I know that is exactly 20 lanes.

Also will that disable ALL my sata ports? I have a 2.5 inch ssd and a mechanical hard drive as well.

Thanks for the help LTT Forums!

Matt

It will work just fine.  The 1080s will use PCIe lanes from the 16 available CPU lanes and the NVMe will use lanes from the 20 available chipset lanes.

I have 2x 1080s in SLI and a 950 Pro. I have no problem with the system running at full tilt, and in every benchmark where SLI results are shown I score just as high or higher as a 40 lane CPU. 

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

25 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

I have 2x 1080s in SLI and a 950 Pro. I have no problem with the system running at full tilt, and in every benchmark where SLI results are shown I score just as high or higher as a 40 lane CPU. 

Wait, I thought that it has only 16 PCIe lanes, how come you can still run a m.2 950 pro

Just now, Rickie cheong said:

Wait, I thought that it has only 16 PCIe lanes, how come you can still run a m.2 950 pro

Look two posts up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2016 at 10:32 PM, iiNNeX said:

Hey ! Are you sure ? Because 6700k has only 16 CPU lanes. What I've learned is that the 20 lanes from PCH is by DMI 3.0 link and it is slower than 950 pro resulting in bottleneck. I'm planing to build a PC with 1080s in SLI and got confused about the lanes in z170 series :(

11 minutes ago, cbhhargava said:

Hey ! Are you sure ? Because 6700k has only 16 CPU lanes. What I've learned is that the 20 lanes from PCH is by DMI 3.0 link and it is slower than 950 pro resulting in bottleneck. I'm planing to build a PC with 1080s in SLI and got confused about the lanes in z170 series :(

DMI 3.0 will only reach saturation with 2 or more 950 Pro M.2 SSDs in a RAID 0.  One 950 Pro will be able to operate at full speed without a "bottleneck".

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

DMI 3.0 will only reach saturation with 2 or more 950 Pro M.2 SSDs in a RAID 0.  One 950 Pro will be able to operate at full speed without a "bottleneck".

5045d31d4bcce03d9de4f05976219417_XL.jpgAccording to the above diagram DMI 3.0 has 20 PCIe lanes at 8Gbps but 950 pro can go upto 20 Gbps. I don't understand how it doesn't bottleneck. Can you explain ? 

Because if it really doesn't bottleneck, I can save a lot of bucks with skylake instead of broadwell-e :D 

18 minutes ago, cbhhargava said:

According to the above diagram DMI 3.0 has 20 PCIe lanes at 8Gbps but 950 pro can go upto 20 Gbps. I don't understand how it doesn't bottleneck. Can you explain ? 

Because if it really doesn't bottleneck, I can save a lot of bucks with skylake instead of broadwell-e :D 

DMI 3.0 has just under 4 GB/s (3.93GB/s theoretical) of throughput.  A Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD (512 GB variant)  can deliver 2.5 GB/s sustained read and 1.5 GB/s sustained write.  Like I said, one drive will not completely saturate DMI 3.0, but 2 or more in RAID 0 will.

I've time stamped this video for you, but go back and watch the whole thing when you have more time.

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

DMI 3.0 has just under 4 GB/s (3.93GB/s theoretical) of throughput.  A Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD (512 GB variant)  can deliver 2.5 GB/s sustained read and 1.5 GB/s sustained write.  Like I said, one drive will not completely saturate DMI 3.0, but 2 or more in RAID 0 will.

I've time stamped this video for you, but go back and watch the whole thing when you have more time.

Awesome. Your the man! 

Also found this http://www.myce.com/review/native-z170-hyper-m-2-vs-pcie3-m-2-77791/synthetic-benchmarks-2/

This article compares M.2 attached to native M.2 slot which is behind DMI and an M.2 which is attached directly to CPU using a PCIe adapter and there isn't any noticeable change. Thanks man.

On 8/31/2016 at 0:26 PM, Rickie cheong said:

Z170 provides 20 PCIe lanes, 8x,8x,4x in his configuration

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 4:19 AM, AlphaPolack said:

Z170 provides 20 PCIe lanes, 8x,8x,4x in his configuration

i thought it was 16?

1 hour ago, Rickie cheong said:

i thought it was 16?

CPU = 16 lanes

Z170 chipset = 20 lanes. 

Hope that helps. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 11:00 AM, done12many2 said:

It will work just fine.  The 1080s will use PCIe lanes from the 16 available CPU lanes and the NVMe will use lanes from the 20 available chipset lanes.

That depends on how the manufacturer routes the lanes. On my X99 board, the M.2 runs off of the CPU's native lanes, leaving the chipset's alone.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That depends on how the manufacturer routes the lanes. On my X99 board, the M.2 runs off of the CPU's native lanes, leaving the chipset's alone.

The thread is about a z170 platform.  My x99 does the same thing as yours.

Just now, done12many2 said:

The thread is about a z170 platform.  My x99 does the same thing as yours.

You have to look at the specific board in question, since manufacturers are free to route PCIe as they wish. Since Gigabyte doesn't seem to reveal the routing online, I can't say that Gigabyte isn't running the M.2 off of the CPU's lanes. It would make sense to us that the M.2's be ran off the chipset, but that doesn't always matter.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

You have to look at the specific board in question, since manufacturers are free to route PCIe as they wish. Since Gigabyte doesn't seem to reveal the routing online, I can't say that Gigabyte isn't running the M.2 off of the CPU's lanes. It would make sense to us that the M.2's be ran off the chipset, but that doesn't always matter.

Gigabyte, along with every other z170 board manufacturer routes the native onboard M.2 slots through the chipset and DMI 3.0.  

Which z170 board did you find contrary to that fact?

Just now, done12many2 said:

Gigabyte, along with every other z170 board manufacturer routes the native onboard M.2 slots through the chipset and DMI 3.0.  

Which z170 board did you find contrary to that fact?

I don't recall the specific board name, but it's a first wave Gigabyte Z170 ultradurable, with features resembling that of which you'd find in a basic workstation in the office. It's one I picked up when I had to upgrade my dad's PC.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I don't recall the specific board name, but it's a first wave Gigabyte Z170 ultradurable, with features resembling that of which you'd find in a basic workstation in the office. It's one I picked up when I had to upgrade my dad's PC.

Let me know when you find the name since you brought the subject up.  I'm interested.

z170-chipset-block-diagram-rwd.jpg

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM, cbhhargava said:

5045d31d4bcce03d9de4f05976219417_XL.jpgAccording to the above diagram DMI 3.0 has 20 PCIe lanes at 8Gbps but 950 pro can go upto 20 Gbps. I don't understand how it doesn't bottleneck. Can you explain ? 

thats 8gb per x1 lane. the 950 uses x4 lanes, so it has 32gb of bandwidth

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Let me know when you find the name since you brought the subject up.  I'm interested.

z170-chipset-block-diagram-rwd.jpg

Searching for the specifics of that board isn't something I really care about. It's likely discontinued and I didn't keep the box or documentation.

If you don't believe me, oh well. It's not that important, and you're right that most of Intel's 100 series chipset equipped boards run M.2 slots on the DMI's PCIe lanes. Wouldn't surprise me if all the ones currently available do.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Searching for the specifics of that board isn't something I really care about. It's likely discontinued and I didn't keep the box or documentation.

If you don't believe me, oh well. It's not that important, and you're right that most of Intel's 100 series chipset equipped boards run M.2 slots on the DMI's PCIe lanes. Wouldn't surprise me if all the ones currently available do.

your dad's build has, why not just tell us the board model.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

your dad's build has, why not just tell us the board model.

Multiple reasons

A) I don't care about having to prove myself. It's not like I know any of you, and I'll probably forget that this forum exists in a week.

B) I don't have access to that build anymore, and there is no reason for me to have access to it.

C) The point of the thread is whether it's possible to run 2 1080s and a x4 M.2 in a system. The point of my post is that mainboard manufacturers can route lanes as they need and/or want.

I never said it isn't possible. If the board has 2 x16 slots and an M.2, it'd be pretty stupid if they weren't all usable if the resources are there. All I said is that manufacturers can and have routed differently from what makes sense to us.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Multiple reasons

A) I don't care about having to prove myself. It's not like I know any of you, and I'll probably forget that this forum exists in a week.

B) I don't have access to that build anymore, and there is no reason for me to have access to it.

C) The point of the thread is whether it's possible to run 2 1080s and a x4 M.2 in a system. The point of my post is that mainboard manufacturers can route lanes as they need and/or want.

I never said it isn't possible. If the board has 2 x16 slots and an M.2, it'd be pretty stupid if they weren't all usable if the resources are there. All I said is that manufacturers can and have routed differently from what makes sense to us.

Can't prove yourself, then stop pulling info out of thin air, unless you can back them up. Did a bit of background search. All M.2 for Z170, runs off the chipset, CPU lanes are dedicated to the main x16 slots.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list