Improoving the razer tiamat 7.1

kieran3296

Hey guys, before i start i knooow the razer tiamat 7.1 isnt a great headset but at the time i wanted 7.1 surround with a mic built in for the sake of ease of life. I am considering buying a soundcard (namely the xonar dx) just to push what the headset can do to its maximum. I want a small boost in volume mainly and i understand that the soundcard will overall improove performance regardless. Is this all the right way to go or am i missing something? 

One final thing is what pair of headphones can i buy to replace the tiamat 7.1s? Id go up to £200 (whatever that is on dollars) on a pair, but i do really like the use of 7.1 surround. You can suggest a mic and headset below, i just want a rough idea of what to get

The Xonar likely won't actually change anything if your board is from the last 4 years or so. As such, you should really allocate the cost of the xonar into the the budget for headphones. Something like the DT770 is not a bad headphone. It's my current daily driver, when I'm not using my earbuds.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

8 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

The Xonar likely won't actually change anything if your board is from the last 4 years or so. As such, you should really allocate the cost of the xonar into the the budget for headphones. Something like the DT770 is not a bad headphone. It's my current daily driver, when I'm not using my earbuds.

Sound advice! (see what I did?)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Agree with this, and posting to reiterate because too many people spread the wrong information.

A DAC/amp will often not improve your listening experience UNLESS you have a very old or very shit motherboard.

Hope this helps :)

2 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Agree with this, and posting to reiterate because too many people spread the wrong information.

A DAC/amp will often not improve your listening experience UNLESS you have a very old or very shit motherboard.

Hope this helps :)

3 hours ago, Aytex said:

Highest I would spend on a "gaming 7.1 headset" is the sennheiser game one/game zero's 

I've tried the pc363d's myself and I find them too similar to the game series

Im pretty sold on the game zeros (and WILL be buying them soon enough, right now im saving for a monitor) but at that level do i bother worrying about soundcards, external DACs etc? Or will my motherboard still give me the best ill need. 

- also is there a software way of boosting my volume? Like i said, i want more volume from my tiamats for the time being.

Just now, kieran3296 said:

Im pretty sold on the game zeros (and WILL be buying them soon enough, right now im saving for a monitor) but at that level do i bother worrying about soundcards, external DACs etc? Or will my motherboard still give me the best ill need. 

- also is there a software way of boosting my volume? Like i said, i want more volume from my tiamats for the tome being.

You likely won't need to worry about that stuff. At the very least, I'd wait until you get the headphones. If they aren't loud enough, then go out and get an amp. If the audio is scratchy, then get a dac/amp. 

I know that there are various audio applications that use something called a digital pre amp. I would see if there is one available that would be system wide. I don't know of one off hand, but then again, I've never actually looked for one before.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

50 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

You likely won't need to worry about that stuff. At the very least, I'd wait until you get the headphones. If they aren't loud enough, then go out and get an amp. If the audio is scratchy, then get a dac/amp. 

I know that there are various audio applications that use something called a digital pre amp. I would see if there is one available that would be system wide. I don't know of one off hand, but then again, I've never actually looked for one before.

PC 373D VS Game Zero. Which headset? 

38 minutes ago, kieran3296 said:

PC 373D VS Game Zero. Which headset? 

To be honest, neither. The hd600 is on sale right now for $234 on Adorama, I would much rather get that than their gaming lineups with a clip-on mic.

3 hours ago, iShad said:

To be honest, neither. The hd600 is on sale right now for $234 on Adorama, I would much rather get that than their gaming lineups with a clip-on mic.

I like the idea of an inline mic plus 7.1 surround sound to be honest... Plus theyre a bit excessive

Im only aware of 5.1 surround sound options, if you want 7.1 surround sound, you will need to go with creative labs sound card, or use USB headphones (sennheiser comes with USB DAC to enable 7.1 surround), or use something like the razer tiamat. There are options for 5.1 surround sound however, there is the Astro mixamp, Roccat XTD, and a couple of other options. Xonar sound cards don't have very good virtual surround sound from what I've heard.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

2 hours ago, kieran3296 said:

I like the idea of an inline mic plus 7.1 surround sound to be honest... Plus theyre a bit excessive

Virtual surround is done through software and works on any headphones, both the Sennheiser headsets are reshelled hd558/598 if I remember correctly with a mic thrown in and marked up price.

11 hours ago, iShad said:

Virtual surround is done through software and works on any headphones, both the Sennheiser headsets are reshelled hd558/598 if I remember correctly with a mic thrown in and marked up price.

I cant find the hd600s on sale and to be honest i expect they will need an amp to use to their full potential. I think ill use the pc373d, seeing as they use USB for the connection i dont think they will have issues like needing an amp to boost the power. Unless you stronly agree i think ill do this...

9 minutes ago, kieran3296 said:

I cant find the hd600s on sale and to be honest i expect they will need an amp to use to their full potential. I think ill use the pc373d, seeing as they use USB for the connection i dont think they will have issues like needing an amp to boost the power. Unless you stronly agree i think ill do this...

Yeah, sadly it seems the discount is over a day or two ago, but it's not an uncommon deal. I've owned the hd650 at some point, and it performs adequately through the mobo so I'd imagine the hd600 would fares the same. If hd600 is a no-go; fidelio x2 + modmic is another solid setup. The pc373d is not a bad headset, and up to you if you value an all-in-one solution with dolby vss, but at $250 it's hard to recommend.

I have the Tiamat 7.1 and did not get good volume untill I got the Maximus Hero III MB. 

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly

On 8/31/2016 at 2:14 PM, iShad said:

Aww, wish I didn't miss that.

Would be nice to try them.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."