Driving exam (last time hopefully) question

VerticalDiscussions

Well the law states (in Canada) you can cross the street at an intersection from sidewalk to sidewalk.

If there is only grass on the other side, doesnt count. Sidewalk but grass at curb to 3' in to sidewalk, counts. Doesnt have to be a sidewalk T to curb.

A painted cross-walk is just a courtesy, pedestrain lights at cross-walks are a courtesy.

There is a T-intersection but main road doesnt stop, near my house. Crossing main road, west side crosswalk lines, east side no crosswalk lines (but it has wheelchair access ramp at curb with sidewalk T to curb. Speed limit is 60kph, that is dangerous speed for bike or pedestrian. Head injuries usually, to car or ground.

Anyways the point being, and what I want to impress upon any new driver and ALL DRIVERS is to be courteous to pedestrains and bicyclists. You are in a 1+ton dangerous weapon. I have seen cops (I like to call them pigs), not do complete stops at stop signs, blow red lights to get to donut shop faster and not wait until pedestrains foot touched other side of road. Yup thats the law. I thought it was a $2000 fine for that. Rare cops do a cross-walk sting. Vehicles like to give you a 2' lee-way in middle of the cross walk. Its the stopped and turning right, looking left turns that kill. Inpatience kills.

Bicycles have the right to be on the road, under 18 they are allowed on sidewalks. New laws in certain juristictions state a 1m distance when passing.

So study up on the laws and be courteous!

On 8/30/2016 at 4:37 PM, Canada EH said:

Parallel parking you must pass here.

Everyone now seems to be backing into to a parallel parking spot.

I do not get this. Even if there is a lot of distance 1.5-2 car lengths, morons still back in, holding up traffic.

I don't know if someone has answered this already, but we were taught to back in and are required to back in for our license.

Yes for tight spaces, by all means. Not when there is 1.5 to 2 car lengths, even 3 car lengths or more. Drivers tend to still back in when there is plenty of room. Just what I notice when I am driving. To an extreme level, an open parking lane from light to a single parked car at the end of the block 300m(1/4m) away. A driver rolls up and backs in. That is the exact same situation as a 2 car length distance between 2 parked cars. The majority of drivers still back in. Yes you must pass the parallel park to get your DL. I think that might be where the wrong idea comes from. Maybe its self parking cars too. Who knows.

OK Done with it now. Just done.

5 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Im such an idiot guys :(. So ill write down the story here... So right after the examinator got in and i said "Good morning" he said "Good morning" and asked me for the documentation. I handed it over to him and he said "whenever your ready". I was feeling confident and so happy that my father had even taken the day off to celebrate in well, what could have been a cool ride with him :/.

So i started backing from the parking spot i was in, with the right indicator light and proper dead spot/mirrors viewing and then turned my vehicle front to the exit zone. Right after he said "Go left", i went straight to the left lane, which just so happens to have maybe 6-8% inclination before entering the main road and a stop sign on the right lane... and this was a bidirection road with a poorly hidden continuous line separating the exit on the right with the entrace on the left!

I realized my mistake and i wanted to go back to fix it so that i wouldnt just be screwd 15 seconds after the test begun, so i allowed the car to slide backwards and then stopped to return to the proper side and there was this guy coming by my side saying "Its gonna hit, Its gonna hit!", and i was like "Wtf is he talking about?". Turns out i backed up a little too much and didnt check the central mirror for a vehicle behind me and i almost touched a parked one.

Yeahh, the guy told me that "What if there was a vehicle entering the park?", "Why didnt you check the central mirror before letting the car go backwards?" and "You realize you almost hit a vehicle behind you?"...

He didnt say the exam was over, nor did he say i shouldnt continue, so i simply got back into the right lane and proceeded with the exam. I stopped before the stop line and he commented again a little bit about that extremely serious mistake as it would turn out, before getting into the road that was heading into the central area of the city behind the airport. I went on, with moderate speed, on 3rd gear and avoiding holes on the road and checking as many as possible danger zones for incoming distracted drivers or pedestrians on the respective sidewalks or even middle of the road. Then he said turn right onto the freeway, so i did and from there the test went like a breeze. I followed all necessary precautions when entering and exiting the freeway and used 4th gear at around 65-70Km/h, and then turned right again. I was about to enter my 1st roundabout and slowed down enough because there were some children (including a baby with her mother) and several cars parked to the right, altough they shouldnt even be there! I went to the left from the roundabout and then entered a tunnel (i always turned on and off the lights according to the signs everywhere). Then another roundabout and entered the main city roads, once again following as many precautions as possible and well even more because of the location. I literally stopped sometimes before the sidewalks, altough there were no people passing them, but when i saw some near it i simply stopped, which just shows how safe i was trying to be. Then after doing pretty much everything i can remenber correctly, he told me to go back onto the park where we left and then bam, "A mother******* fail". On his notebook there were 4 exams before me, all with a capital "A". I knew when he started writting on it that i was doomed... also because of past exams "experience" of the end. He told me that besides holding the driving wheel like a potato sack, if i did not do those 2 mistakes on the beginning (perhaps and in what seemed like a really slim chance, he could have allowed me to pass if i looked at the mirror after going to the left lane and then properly backing up slower with the eyes on the car behind me). I asked him if didnt effectively used a safe driving style and he told me that he didnt see anything negative of how i proceeded and that i was actually doing pretty good and sometimes even too careful. Well fk, i lost 30 seconds after the beginning and he left me in the false belief that i still had a chance. His comment after some conversation was "Perhaps you should get a driving license in Venezuela..."

Rip my life x-x and my parents happiness. If im to re-apply, its 262€ which will officially make my driving journey over 1000€. 

My parents cant understand how badly im feeling, so much that my heart is broken and i lost all faith on Christianity (Holy water, blessings and prayers/candles and false gods) never helped me so ill just forget about those!

Some things you might want to work on.

Accelerating from an incline, you're allowed to slip the clutch a bit, and you can use the handbrake to hold the car in place so that you won't have to fumble with the gas and brake with your right foot.

Checking the mirrors and blindspots is something that has to become a habit. Taking a left? Check back, and left mirror, and blindspots. Reversing? Check all mirrors, and look back.

When coming to a stop sign, you should preferably stop at the line (or sign, if there isn't a line). And if you can not see through the intersection clearly, then slowly roll forward and make another stop before going through the intersection.

And when it comes to stopping by sidewalks when there are no people nearby, then that to me is a sign that your driving confidence needs a boost. 'Randomly' stopping at crossings with no pedestrians could be seen as impeding traffic.

I would have asked the instructor for pointers, what you did good, and what was done poorly. So that you know what you need to work on. I asked this to my instructor, even after I got a clear pass. 

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Yeah your totally right. Unfortunately, if i tell some people that i only passed 4th time on my exam theyll think im probably a worst driver than ones that passed 1st time or 2nd time, because thats just how people judge someones expertise. It doesnt matter when you pass, what matters is that in the end be it 1st time or 10th time, youve obtained the experience to be a prudent and safe driver ^^. Im happy that i failed for something "insignificant" so to speak, that can be corrected easily. Thanks for the cheer ^^

No worries. I personally wouldn't give a shit what someone thought, in regards to how many times it took you to pass. As you correctly state, it doesn't matter how many times you tried, only that you succeed.

7 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Some things you might want to work on.

Accelerating from an incline, you're allowed to slip the clutch a bit, and you can use the handbrake to hold the car in place so that you won't have to fumble with the gas and brake with your right foot.

Checking the mirrors and blindspots is something that has to become a habit. Taking a left? Check back, and left mirror, and blindspots. Reversing? Check all mirrors, and look back.

When coming to a stop sign, you should preferably stop at the line (or sign, if there isn't a line). And if you can not see through the intersection clearly, then slowly roll forward and make another stop before going through the intersection.

And when it comes to stopping by sidewalks when there are no people nearby, then that to me is a sign that your driving confidence needs a boost. 'Randomly' stopping at crossings with no pedestrians could be seen as impeding traffic.

I would have asked the instructor for pointers, what you did good, and what was done poorly. So that you know what you need to work on. I asked this to my instructor, even after I got a clear pass. 

All excellent points.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ah i guess you failed.

Yeah that allways sucks.

But next time more luck, one day you will get it.

However wenn i read the things you seem to have issues with.

The question to me rises, how manny lessons do you get?

And how is the quality of those lessons?

Because it looks to me that you have some issues with vehicle control.

In the Netherlands you have to take lessons at a professional driving school.

Its pretty hard to get a license uphere aswell, but we do have good instructors.

But if you still continue having issues with a manual car.

Why not just go and do your tests in an Automatic if possible?

The only downside might be that you would not be allowed to drive a manual car once you got your license.

However with most modern cars nowdays all being equiped with a very decent AT.

that shouldnt realy matter much right?

2 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Ah i guess you failed.

Yeah that allways sucks.

But next time more luck, one day you will get it.

However wenn i read the things you seem to have issues with.

The question to me rises, how manny lessons do you get?

And how is the quality of those lessons?

Because it looks to me that you have some issues with vehicle control.

In the Netherlands you have to take lessons at a professional driving school.

Its pretty hard to get a license uphere aswell, but we do have good instructors.

But if you still continue having issues with a manual car.

Why not just go and do your tests in an Automatic if possible?

The only downside might be that you would not be allowed to drive a manual car once you got your license.

However with most modern cars nowdays all being equiped with a very decent AT.

that shouldnt realy matter much right?

Don't know how it works in the Netherlands, or wherever @VerticalDiscussions is from, but here in Canada, a Drivers License is a Drivers License - there is no distinction between a Manual and Automatic transmission.

For example: I've never driven a manual transmission in my life. I took both of my driving exams in a car with an Automatic transmission.

Yet I could go jump in a manual car right now and legally drive it around. The type of license you get will determine what class of vehicle you can drive, not what type of transmission you have.

The basic license in Ontario is called the "G" class license. This allows you to drive cars, trucks, and SUV's with a curb weight under some specific number (like 5000kg or something). Basically, everything up to small/medium sized delivery vans.

The license is split into 3 different stages. You start with your G1, which is your basic learning permit. You must pass a written test to get this (half road signs, half theory on laws - all are multiple choice). Once you pass the written exam, you're given a G1 license. This allows you to drive, as long as you have someone in the front passenger seat who has a full G class license, and has had it for at least 5 years.

After a waiting period (12 months - or 8 months if you take a certified drivers education program), you then take your "G1 Exit test", which is a road test. This tests basic driving, along with either a three-point turn, or a back-in parking job. Parallel parking is usually not tested at this stage. Upon completion of this exam, you're given the "G2" license. With this license, you can drive by yourself, between 6am and midnight. You're not allowed to drive on 400-series Freeways by yourself, nor are you allowed to have more than 1 passenger in the car. All three of those limitations are lifted, if you have a driver in the front passenger seat, who has a valid G license, and has had it for at least 5 years. After another waiting period (12 months), you take your G2 Road Test. This is the full and final test. You're tested on pretty much everything, and usually have to perform a back-in park, hill park, parallel park, 3-point turn, etc. If there is one nearby, you also have to drive on a Highway or Freeway (or both). I assume you're tested on a roundabout, if one is nearby as well, but this is purely speculation, since when I took my drivers test, roundabouts didn't exist in Ontario at all, really. If you pass this test, you are awarded your full G license. You need to renew it every 5 years - with a picture if you look substantially different. Once you have the full license, you never have to retake any tests, unless you let your license expire for MORE than one year.

About three years ago, I sold my last car (1999 Buick Regal LS - comfy old people seats with a 3.8L V6, so pretty decent power, but it was a 4-spd automatic trans) to a scrap yard for $300 because the car kept crapping out on me, and I couldn't afford repairs anymore. So after I sold it, I didn't bother to renew my license when the time came. A year later, I get offered my current job (IT at the Public Library), but having a car (and by extension, a valid license) was required.

So I went into the Service Ontario center (basically a combination DMV and a bunch of other social services all rolled into one - you pretty much go to one of these if you need to deal with anything related to the provincial government), and apparently I was JUST UNDER a year, so fortunately all I needed to do was pay the renewal fee and bam, got my license renewed instantly. That was very lucky timing, because I had no intention of renewing it before I got the job offer, as I was taking public transit at the time, and couldn't afford a car using my shitty minimum wage job that I had at the time.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

To the OP:

That is unfortunate that you had another unsuccessful attempt, but there is nothing legally barring you from giving it another go. Whether or not you want to continue your pursuit of driving is your decision and your decision alone, not your parents, not your friends, and certainly not people in your community. The one note of criticism I have is that while you do not appear to be hindered by any lack of skill, your self-doubting emotions are getting in the way. This lack in confidence can easily evoke panic when it is not needed, which can then impair your judgement. Try to find something that will cheer you up or at least relax you for the next test, even if only temporarily.

To general:

I think all that needs to be said about driving in Canada has already been said, but I do have to ask; what is the big deal with the roundabouts? Granted they aren't exactly commonplace in my area, but for the few that are there, nobody seems to have much of an issue with them. You stop to wait for traffic, you turn the direction to the side of the road for where you reside, you continue on until you reach the road you want to get to, and then make a turn. It is not difficult.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

You need to practice more man.

I passed both my driving test and T/F knowledge test on the first go multiple decades ago.

Back in the days of paper licenses! Am I dating myself yet.

Imagine if I had whats on my desk right now, back then.

10 hours ago, Canada EH said:

-snip-

Erhm what? Like subordinate him...? No lol

Groomlake Authority

6 hours ago, Canada EH said:

-snip-

Well i actually did study the code before my driving exam, altough thats not strictly necessary and i also passed my Q/A test 1st time, but unfortunately writting down the rules on a computer screen and following them perfectly on real life for half an hour isnt as easy as it should. I dont know what happened to me, mostlikely panic like what Colonel mentioned. :(

Groomlake Authority

7 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

-snip-

Thanks buddy for the appreciation, indeed im sure my main problem was somehow panicking from seeing the same person again. I understand i passed trough that parking area so many times and that every rule and advice everyone here mentioned is totally right, but my real downhill so to speak, was mental breakdown at the very beginning of the test. Strangely, i wasnt feeling nervous our anything, since i tought it was going so well after that initial catastrophe, :/. 

Groomlake Authority

New update: I just paid for another driving test requisite, which costed 98€. My instructor told me "Next time you will pass" to me and my mother was right beside me, which i should assume he only said it like that to relax her at that point :/. Still 160€ to pay for the 8 mandatory lessons, which will be rolled out closer to the exam date which should happen between 20th - 25th of this month. Its all up to me and im extremely aware of that aspect. I dont want to let myself down even further anymore :l and i am still in shock (not literally in shock) for not passing yesterday.

Groomlake Authority

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Don't know how it works in the Netherlands, or wherever @VerticalDiscussions is from, but here in Canada, a Drivers License is a Drivers License - there is no distinction between a Manual and Automatic transmission.

For example: I've never driven a manual transmission in my life. I took both of my driving exams in a car with an Automatic transmission.

Yet I could go jump in a manual car right now and legally drive it around. The type of license you get will determine what class of vehicle you can drive, not what type of transmission you have.

The basic license in Ontario is called the "G" class license. This allows you to drive cars, trucks, and SUV's with a curb weight under some specific number (like 5000kg or something). Basically, everything up to small/medium sized delivery vans.

The license is split into 3 different stages. You start with your G1, which is your basic learning permit. You must pass a written test to get this (half road signs, half theory on laws - all are multiple choice). Once you pass the written exam, you're given a G1 license. This allows you to drive, as long as you have someone in the front passenger seat who has a full G class license, and has had it for at least 5 years.

After a waiting period (12 months - or 8 months if you take a certified drivers education program), you then take your "G1 Exit test", which is a road test. This tests basic driving, along with either a three-point turn, or a back-in parking job. Parallel parking is usually not tested at this stage. Upon completion of this exam, you're given the "G2" license. With this license, you can drive by yourself, between 6am and midnight. You're not allowed to drive on 400-series Freeways by yourself, nor are you allowed to have more than 1 passenger in the car. All three of those limitations are lifted, if you have a driver in the front passenger seat, who has a valid G license, and has had it for at least 5 years. After another waiting period (12 months), you take your G2 Road Test. This is the full and final test. You're tested on pretty much everything, and usually have to perform a back-in park, hill park, parallel park, 3-point turn, etc. If there is one nearby, you also have to drive on a Highway or Freeway (or both). I assume you're tested on a roundabout, if one is nearby as well, but this is purely speculation, since when I took my drivers test, roundabouts didn't exist in Ontario at all, really. If you pass this test, you are awarded your full G license. You need to renew it every 5 years - with a picture if you look substantially different. Once you have the full license, you never have to retake any tests, unless you let your license expire for MORE than one year.

About three years ago, I sold my last car (1999 Buick Regal LS - comfy old people seats with a 3.8L V6, so pretty decent power, but it was a 4-spd automatic trans) to a scrap yard for $300 because the car kept crapping out on me, and I couldn't afford repairs anymore. So after I sold it, I didn't bother to renew my license when the time came. A year later, I get offered my current job (IT at the Public Library), but having a car (and by extension, a valid license) was required.

So I went into the Service Ontario center (basically a combination DMV and a bunch of other social services all rolled into one - you pretty much go to one of these if you need to deal with anything related to the provincial government), and apparently I was JUST UNDER a year, so fortunately all I needed to do was pay the renewal fee and bam, got my license renewed instantly. That was very lucky timing, because I had no intention of renewing it before I got the job offer, as I was taking public transit at the time, and couldn't afford a car using my shitty minimum wage job that I had at the time.

In the Netherlands its all diffrent indeed.

Uphere we have a diffrence between manual and automatic transmission car license.

If you decide to do your driving tests and exam in a automatic, you get a car license B + code 78, which means that you are only allowed to drive a automatic transmission car.

If you do your tests and exam in an manual car, you get a normal B license, and you are allowed to drive both manual or automatic.

What you have to do uphere is theory law test, and a practical roadtest.

Since 2012 its allowed to start with driving lessons at a professional school wenn you are 16.5 years old.

You can get your license wenn you are 17, but then you are only allowed to drive with somebody next to you, who has a license for more then 5 years.

Wen you become 18, then you are automaticly allowed to drive alone.

I got my license wen i was 17, and i´m currently 19.

The only thing i need to do next is getting a E license behind B, which will also need a theory and pratical exam.

E is there for that you are allowed to put a larger trailer then 750KG behind your car.

Since i have a 2500KG Horse trailer which has room for upto 3 Horses, i need a special additional license for that.

Before i´m allowed to put that behind the car.

Unfortunatly with a car license we are not allowed to drive a motorcycle atall.

You have to do get a sepperate motor license for that A license.

Same counts for Trucks heavier then 3500KG C license.

I´m still not sure if i would go for truck license CE complete.

Because there are also Horse trucks.

And my family travels arround with fair rides, so wenn i got truck license i could make some money with that.

I think it would be realy fun to drive a large truck with a fair ride trailer as a girl.

I have normal manual license by the way :D

Scandinavia is totally different in most respects, I like there strict immigration policy but I could see there being strict rules on driving too.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Scandinavia is totally different in most respects, I like there strict immigration policy but I could see there being strict rules on driving too.

Only about half the people pass the written test, around the same for the practical driving test.

13 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

New update: I just paid for another driving test requisite, which costed 98€. My instructor told me "Next time you will pass" to me and my mother was right beside me, which i should assume he only said it like that to relax her at that point :/. Still 160€ to pay for the 8 mandatory lessons, which will be rolled out closer to the exam date which should happen between 20th - 25th of this month. Its all up to me and im extremely aware of that aspect. I dont want to let myself down even further anymore :l and i am still in shock (not literally in shock) for not passing yesterday.

Is this another driving school or the same one you've been to and failed 3 times? I would change the instructor or go to another driving school and maybe you'll have a better chance of passing. Happened to me when I went to the first driving school and the instructor's teaching method was lacking. When the exam came I failed. Then I went to another one, where that instructor taught me the tricks of driving and proper way to parallel park. He even did a mock exam, just like the real thing and I've passed which gave me confidence on the real thing. Real exam came and I've passed the real exam as well.

When backing up during parallel park, turn your head around and look back, do not just use the rear view mirror.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

Actually this my 2nd school and the 1st one was really bad at teaching and helping theyr students in driving lessons/exam (they wont even warn about exam issurances and if the car isnt properly inspected nor replaced before exam, even if you ask). I want to hit my old school reputation later, whenever i get my license. Parallel parking didnt happened in my exam and i lost because of entering opposite lane inside the park (mental breakdown for sure and not in knowledge). Still, the examinator should have just ended the test there, since i had no chance left anyways. F. Prick he was. My instructor told me hell do whatever it takes next time for me to pass, but I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully! 

Groomlake Authority

5 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Actually this my 2nd school and the 1st one was really bad at teaching and helping theyr students in driving lessons/exam (they wont even warn about exam issurances and if the car isnt properly inspected nor replaced before exam, even if you ask). I want to hit my old school reputation later, whenever i get my license. Parallel parking didnt happened in my exam and i lost because of entering opposite lane inside the park (mental breakdown for sure and not in knowledge). Still, the examinator should have just ended the test there, since i had no chance left anyways. F. Prick he was. My instructor told me hell do whatever it takes next time for me to pass, but I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully! 

I've heard if you asked the examiner nicely to retake the test, some might let you do so, right after the first one. Hopefully, you'll pass this time.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

This one would need to have been father to ever allow me to ask such thing x.x

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

What do you mean?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

13 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

Wasnt the 1st time i got this examinator (1st exam was with him) and his reputation of ruthlessness preceeds him.  Examinators are all the same on the island sadly and not city/council bound :/. 

Groomlake Authority