NEED Help, looking for "Silent" Case for my build

Daniel644

I know there are quite a few silent cases to choose from these days but i've got a few needs, first it needs to support a ATX motherboard, along with a Corsair H100i V2 AIO cooler and an OPTICAL DRIVE BAY, i'm not concerned with 3.5" drive bays at all but some 2.5" bays on the back of the motherboard tray (or some other hidden location) would be good to have, i'm going to do an M.2 SSD for the primary boot drive in a few months but for the time being i'm using an old 2.5" HDD. My current front runners are the Define R5, Mastercase Maker 5 (like the LED option and the front panel over the exposed front of the Pro 5) and the Be Quiet Silent Base 800. Which of these would work best with my setup? the Be Quiet isn't really clear on how Water Cooling compatible it is other then to say it can be and how well is the airflow on these cases or are there better options, like something that meets these needs but with a form factor like the Node 605 (which won't work due to the lack of ODD and Water Cooling support). Also something with an HDMI pass-through for the front panel I/O would be awesome as once I get whatever video card I decide on this PC is being built primarily for VR.

Define R5. some gpus come with 5.25 bays that have HDMI ports in them 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Be quiet! silent&dark base series, Phanteks eclipse P400s, Fractal design define r5. Those are the cases I recommend.

My case is be quiet silent base 600, and it fits 240mm water cooler, so it wouldn't be hard to fit corsair 100i v2.

3 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

My case is be quiet silent base 600, and it fits 240mm water cooler, so it wouldn't be hard to fit corsair 100i v2.

where does it fit it, would you lose the ODD bay?

4 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

Be quiet! silent&dark base series, Phanteks eclipse P400s, Fractal design define r5. Those are the cases I recommend.

the P400 doesn't have ODD support from what I can see

Just now, Daniel644 said:

where does it fit it, would you lose the ODD bay?

It fits at top, and I don't have to remove odd bay, but there's one problem that I can't do pull setup, because of the rear fan.

1 minute ago, PCNoobie said:

It fits at top, and I don't have to remove odd bay, but there's one problem that I can't do pull setup, because of the rear fan.

got any pictures?

You can't see well on top, but when I do pull setup, the radiator hits the rear fan.

1 minute ago, PCNoobie said:

You can't see well on top, but when I do pull setup, the radiator hits the rear fan.

how's the Ventilation on the top of the case?

how's the Ventilation on the top of the case?

I can definitely feel air moving at 35% pwm setting.

If you are going to use all 3 slots of odd cage. I don't recommend this case. It will not fit with 240mm rad in top.

Just now, Aytex said:

You can always get a USB Optical Drive, much more convenient if you dont use Cd/dvd's daily

I JUST bought the Blu ray drive and this PC is being setup to potentially be an HTPC and at the very least needs to rip down several HUNDRED DVD and Blu ray disks over the next however long that takes. Plus i'm just to old school to give up on a fixed optical drive, I actually have a slim external DVD for when I run across PC's that lack optical drives.

2 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

If you are going to use all 3 slots of odd cage. I don't recommend this case. It will not fit with 240mm rad in top.

only need 1 slot, would the lowest one work?

only need 1 slot, would the lowest one work?

Yea, it won't be hard to fit in the lowest one.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, decided to abandon the "silent" aspect (i'll just put the fans on really low speed), my current list of possible cases are:

1. MasterCase Maker 5 (will support the H100i V2 and the Optical drive)

2. Fractal Define R5 (will support the H100i V2 and the Optical drive but looks kind of bland and boring)

3. NZXT Noctis 450 (plenty of Ventilation but loses Optical Drive support)

4. Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass (Looks AWESOME, but loses Optical support)

5. Phanteks Eclipse (retains some silence and is cheaper then the others)

6. Inwin 805 Infinity (loses Optical and the rad has to mount in the front but looks AMAZING)

7. Corsair 460x RGB (loses Optical but looks AWESOME, also have to wait for it to release)

thoughts? Also I like cases that can do red accent lighting to fit the theme of my build.

If you're looking for silence, go for a bequiet! case, that's what they prioritize. But the case wont suddenly make it silent if you have really noisy water-cooling or old hard drives, so consider your parts too!

PC Specs: 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K  GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (FE)  Motherboard: ASRock x99 Extreme4  PSU: Bequiet! Powerzone 650W  RAM:  32Gb DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (white) 2400mhz  CPU Cooler: Bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  Storage: 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, 1x WD Blue 2tb HDD 5400rpm, 1x Toshiba 500gb HDD  Case: NZXT H440 (matte black w/ case fans)  Case Fan (Top Mounted): Notcua AF-14 144mm  LED Lights: TOP LED 2x30 Strips

Peripherals:

Speakers: M-AUDIO AV-42 (pair)  Headphones: AudioTechnica ATH-M20X,  Keyboard: AULA 859  Mouse: Tecknet  Microphone: RODE NT1-A  Audio Interface: ZOOM R8  

Camera Specs:

Cameras: BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Canon 4000, Olympus OM-1, Zorki 4  Lenses: Olympus OM-1 Zuiko Macro, Regular and Telephoto, EFS 18mm-55mm, MFT 12mm, 25mm and 35mm, 50mm Jupiter 8, 50mm EFS

Software:

Editing: BlackMagic Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Cubase LE AI Elements 6, Adobe Elements

Phone: Pixel 4

2 hours ago, AlisterMultimedia said:

If you're looking for silence, go for a bequiet! case, that's what they prioritize. But the case wont suddenly make it silent if you have really noisy water-cooling or old hard drives, so consider your parts too!

I have a VERY QUIET Water Cooler, even in my open air case I can barely hear it from 4 feet away (this will be a Entertainment center type build so that is good enough). the ONLY drive in it is an M.2 NVME SSD (will connect the external drive when I need to access storage files) so over all very quiet components. the quietness of my components is why I've decided the "silent" case is less of a factor and I just want a good looking case that supports my cooler.

10 hours ago, AlisterMultimedia said:

Be quiet cases are not very quiet under load because they have such crappy thermals. Just saying.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS