Why are steam prices overpriced?

brullenbakken
1 minute ago, Squirrel724 said:

"guaranteed to work" is not the same as "guaranteed to be legal". You really have no way to determine if the key you are purchasing was acquired using a stolen credit card or other illegal means..

I guess so. It seems like if a purchase was made on a stolen credit card and was disputed the code could be deactivated before it was sold. I'm just guessing here but that seems like it would be true at least on games that don't sell as fast as they are put up.

Well, steam games are about 30-40% more expensive in Australia than the US. Why? Apparently we have higher living standards so they reckon it's OK to rip us off.

G2A is my go to place to buy games.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

If you care about the people who developed the game you are buying, you will want to get your copy from Steam or GOG. Key resellers aren't really safe and are pretty damaging to smaller studios. They've also spammed popular gaming sites with bot messages. :dry:

7 hours ago, killcomic said:

Well, steam games are about 30-40% more expensive in Australia than the US. Why? Apparently we have higher living standards so they reckon it's OK to rip us off.

and Norway do apparently have lower living standards that the EU.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

9 hours ago, killcomic said:

For crying out loud..

USD=/AUD

1 USD -> 1.3 AUD

Also prices in USD exclude VAT and in Australia you pay VAT fir digital goods.

The prices are exactly the same exluding VAT.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

For crying out loud..

USD=/AUD

1 USD -> 1.3 AUD

Also prices in USD exclude VAT and in Australia you pay VAT fir digital goods.

The prices are exactly the same exluding VAT.

Wrong.

Steam sell game in Australia with US prices. Not only that but increased US prices.

We don't pay VAT, it's called GST. Steam games are not subject to GST.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

On 8/27/2016 at 11:11 AM, steamkiller said:

You might or might not get my point, but my question remains: Why does steam ask  for more money than a site?

Because Steam is an authorized reseller, so they ask retail price for their games as set by the game's publisher. When there is a sale, it is generally a sale price the publisher of the game approved. Same with Origin, Uplay, GOG, the Humble Store, Amazon, and so forth.

G2A is a grey market reseller. They are not authorized, they have no [positive] relationship with any publishers, and the pricing there usually has no relationship with what the publisher wants their games to sell for. Games on G2A can come from a lot of places. Some are keys purchased for very low prices from the Humble Bundle, some are involved in cases of credit card fraud, and some are games purchased for low prices in cheaper territories such as India or Russia and then resold in the west to undercut authorized resellers.

19 hours ago, Kpeckham said:

G2a aren't "hackfrauds" if you pay the extra dollar its guaranteed your key will work. I don't pay that and I only have had a problem once which was solved through contacting the seller and disputing it on both paypal and g2a. This was irritating but it is worth having the lower prices on most games.

I never said the key wouldnt work. You dont know where's its from and how it's obtained. 

Did you try turning it on and off first?