Why are steam prices overpriced?

brullenbakken

I was looking at prices on steam the other day and I found that the prices on G2a are much lower than on steam, eg.: for IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad you pay 7.25€ and 45.99€ respectively also GTA V G2a: 37.40€, Steam:59.99€.

These aren't just differences, they're huge more than 50% for some games.

You might or might not get my point, but my question remains: Why does steam ask  for more money than a site?

links to my sources:

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad: http://store.steampowered.com/app/307960/ andhttps://www.g2a.com/il-2-sturmovik-battle-of-stalingrad-cd-key-global.html

Grand Theft Auto V: http://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/

https://www.g2a.com/grand-theft-auto-v-steam-cd-key-global.html

Steam is an official retail store whereas G2a is a bunch of resellers. It's like using ebay/craigslist as a baseline compared to Amazon. (A lot of G2A sellers buy keys when they're on sale/in bulk and/or from countries where prices are lower)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

not for me..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Because steam is official and with g2a you always have the chance of not getting your game.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

1 minute ago, Hero7750 said:

Because steam is official and with g2a you always have the chance of not getting your game.

If you pay the extra dollar or two, G2A will guarantee that it activates. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I know

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

32 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Steam is an official retail store whereas G2a is a bunch of resellers. It's like using ebay/craigslist as a baseline compared to Amazon. (A lot of G2A sellers buy keys when they're on sale/in bulk and/or from countries where prices are lower)

this

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C

Overpriced? No. The likes of G2A survives purely from undercutting official sellers, and is therefore under-priced, relative to the intended retail cost. Also, when you buy a game on G2A that most likely activates on Steam, who has to foot the bill of the bandwidth for the download? Hint: it's not G2A.

On Steam the publisher determines the price (not Steam), on G2A the seller determines the price (not the publisher).

-KuJoe

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

6 hours ago, Hero7750 said:

I don't ever get a not working Steam key. G2A just offers guarantee for profit porpose the keys get checked automatically. I know this since i've sold on G2A myself.

14 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Not really. Its more like you pay for warranty which replaces key with working one. There will be keys which don't activate and G2A can't do anything about them. All they can do is give another key.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Not really. Its more like you pay for warranty which replaces key with working one. There will be keys which don't activate and G2A can't do anything about them. All they can do is give another key.

Either way, you're guaranteed to get the item you pay for. How they guarantee that is irrelevant. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It isn't that Steam is overpriced, but their sales are only for a limited time, and then they revert back to the standard shelf-price. On G2A, a lot of the keys are bought in bulk during these cheap sales, during bundle sales, or other promotions. They'll mark the price up a bit, and then resell the keys. It's convenient, and they make a pretty good profit off of it. It's nice to be able to get a game that was on sale for the sale price if you end up missing it on Steam.

The majority of those GTA 5 keys were from the shark card bundle, and then later when it went on sale for like $30.

It's always nicer to get things on Steam itself though, as then you'll be able to utilize their support, and you won't have to worry about repercussions or anything. So, even if it is more expensive at times, it's still worth it for the service they provide. There is a cost to everything, they say. Maybe not always in terms of the monetary sense, but ease of mind.

I haven't had any issues with G2A yet. Yet.

I think I've actually bought the majority of my games from them. I'm always really terrible at hitting Steam sales. I end up buying a game for $60, then it goes on sale the next day for $20 with all the DLC included. Bah, I say. You will not make me feel bad about my luck, Steam.

steam is not overpriced. g2a is shady, I would never buy from them.

Steam in my country is cheaper than the price in Euro, and that is strange.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

G2A, ahhhh Nope, I will never ever buy from them because its shady as hell and I'd be very interested to know how many and which keys are being sold via scammed credit cards.

Also, the key may activate but a month or two down the road and its then blocked because it was a scammed key, G2A can't help you there, and to be frank, the website promotes a very real crime. Credit Card theft is a very serious crime and offering a quick way to make a buck is shady as heck.

23 minutes ago, Sovek said:

G2A, ahhhh Nope, I will never ever buy from them because its shady as hell and I'd be very interested to know how many and which keys are being sold via scammed credit cards.

Also, the key may activate but a month or two down the road and its then blocked because it was a scammed key, G2A can't help you there, and to be frank, the website promotes a very real crime. Credit Card theft is a very serious crime and offering a quick way to make a buck is shady as heck.

If keys being revoked was a seriously common problem then g2a would be at the receiving end of a massive internet shitstorm (which isnt happening).

Also, a lot of the keys also come from other sources (cheaper regional pricing, bundled codes, etc...). But if you want to avoid it on a moral reason, then that's fair. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If keys being revoked was a seriously common problem then g2a would be at the receiving end of a massive internet shitstorm (which isnt happening).

Right, just because you don't see any "shitstorm" doesnt mean it isnt happening.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2tlejw/ubisoft_is_banning_cd_keys_bought_off_websites/

https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/VGT9e/my-gift-just-disappeared

https://steamcommunity.com/app/427920/discussions/0/405692124740015724/

Just now, Sovek said:

And if it was a widespread issue that was actually problematic then you'd have more than the occasional thread where a few people have an issue.....unless of course you'd also like to call most hardware shit because you get the occasional product that's DOA. There will always be issues with every product you purchase. When you start seeing massive shitstorms is when you have an actual problem. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Sovek said:

And if it was a widespread issue that was actually problematic then you'd have more than the occasional thread where a few people have an issue.....unless of course you'd also like to call most hardware shit because you get the occasional product that's DOA. There will always be issues with every product you purchase. When you start seeing massive shitstorms is when you have an actual problem. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

If you purchase from Steam, you are directly supporting the developer and the steam platform. If it is an early access title, you are paying towards the development cost of the game.

Same reason as to why you pay less for things such as firearms from the "black" market vs to paying for them in a legit registered store. G2A is a bunch of bullshit, Steam is a legit place to buy games. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X | CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE | Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 5600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RX7800XT | PSU: Cooler Master V850 V2 Gold | SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB M.2 NVME  | HDD: WD Blue 1TB x2 | HDD: WD Blue 2TB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl 

Steam is expensive. I dont use G2A because they're hackfrauds but any other website where buy the cd key only is cheaper than steam. New Deus Ex 32 euro... vs 60euro on steam.. lol 

Did you try turning it on and off first?

On 9/4/2016 at 8:48 AM, eye2012 said:

Steam is expensive. I dont use G2A because they're hackfrauds but any other website where buy the cd key only is cheaper than steam. New Deus Ex 32 euro... vs 60euro on steam.. lol 

G2a aren't "hackfrauds" if you pay the extra dollar its guaranteed your key will work. I don't pay that and I only have had a problem once which was solved through contacting the seller and disputing it on both paypal and g2a. This was irritating but it is worth having the lower prices on most games.

11 minutes ago, Kpeckham said:

G2a aren't "hackfrauds" if you pay the extra dollar its guaranteed your key will work. I don't pay that and I only have had a problem once which was solved through contacting the seller and disputing it on both paypal and g2a. This was irritating but it is worth having the lower prices on most games.

"guaranteed to work" is not the same as "guaranteed to be legal". You really have no way to determine if the key you are purchasing was acquired using a stolen credit card or other illegal means..