Somebody trying to scam me?

pit5000

Somebody somehow got a hold of my number..., saying they are some sort of Help support line thing... They say they were for the windows platform, but i rarely use my windows machine... They said that since my Mac is on the same network it's also infected with some sort of attacks or whatever... After probing them for how they got my number, they said they got it from a public database... This all sounds very weird, I asked for a supervisor, I talked to him a bit. He said they are the Help support line now not just for Windows, but for Mac as well now.

Like wtf, I suspected a scam from the start but after that I hung up. They tried to call back twice but I didn't answer.

They wanted me to go to 162. 144. 126. 128: 8040 (without the spaces). They called from +1 (358) 295-9257

Am I being targeted for a scam?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Its a scam, ignore em

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Totally a scam. I've got a few calls from folks like those as well.

ah, your friends from finland! 

Finland country

Finland international dialing 358 is followed by an area code. The Finland area code table below shows the various city codes for Finland. Finland country codes are followed by these area codes. With the complete Finland dialing code, you can make your international call.

2 minutes ago, pit5000 said:

Somebody somehow got a hold of my number..., saying they are some sort of Help support line thing... They say they were for the windows platform, but i rarely use my windows machine... They said that since my Mac is on the same network it's also infected with some sort of attacks or whatever... After probing them for how they got my number, they said they got it from a public database... This all sounds very weird, I asked for a supervisor, I talked to him a bit. He said they are the Help support line now not just for Windows, but for Mac as well now.

Like wtf, I suspected a scam from the start but after that I hung up. They tried to call back twice but I didn't answer.

They wanted me to go to 162. 144. 126. 128: 8040 (without the spaces). They called from +1 (358) 295-9257

Yeah Just Troll em when they call 

Microsoft, Apple, nor Google, will NEVER EVER call you unsolicited.

Anytime someone calls you telling you your machine is infected, but they can "fix" the issue for you, it's a scam. Usually they'll try and get you to straight up pay them via PayPal, BTC, or Credit Card, and even if they do go onto your computer, they're generally installing a backdoor or a fake virus program, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If they are saying your mac is infected by using same network, there is one possibilty. It's a scam. Just talk with them for 2 hours.

Ask about how to fix it, and keep ask the same thing.

Edited by PCNoobie

Just now, pit5000 said:

they had Indian accents, didn't sound european at all...

Not being racist or anything but its common practise these days now for someone with an indian accent to try and scam. Im not saying all are scammers but it does happen alot. I normally ring them up and let them onto my virtual machine and bait them to waste their time lol 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

Did they sound Indian and did they have a bland American name? (David, Michael, Bob, Steve, etc.) if so: it was a scam. if not: still a scam :^)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think this forum and other tech communities need to come together and build an anti-scam phone directory of all the numbers they call from and all the URL's they want us to go to in order to create a blacklist of stuff.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

1 minute ago, nuttytechy said:

I normally ring them up and let them onto my virtual machine and bait them to waste their time lol 

nice xD

2 minutes ago, MicrosoftCertTechnician said:

Did he say he is a Microsoft certified technician, because I am, I will give you free tech support, just give me your computer's remote access.

scam confirmed

1 minute ago, pit5000 said:

I think this forum and other tech communities need to come together and build an anti-scam phone directory of all the numbers they call from and all the URL's they want us to go to in order to create a blacklist of stuff.

The numbers are generally throwaways, so building a database has very limited usefulness. They will often use bulk groups of numbers all at once, then discard them and get new ones, repeating the process over and over again.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

if I was some sort of hacker, I would hack their computers and give them access to their own shit!!!!! They will fear my 1337ness when they realize what's going on!

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

There are phone numbers and websites which have been set up for this type of thing, Malwarebytes keeps a track of all "Fake"  tech support sites and includes phone numbers past and present. I shall be setting up a site up in the near future with the UK numbers and possibly US numbers too. 

People who phone up saying they are from microsoft and claim you have a virus is complete BS. 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

my question is how in the world did they get my number??!

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

It's pot luck. If your phone number has been entered online etc. People will pass it on etc. 

Just now, pit5000 said:

Its not that hard or confusing. Same way any scammer gets any numbers.

Or how telemarketers do.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

social network have you shared your phone anywhere

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

social network have you shared your phone anywhere

yes but only privately messages only

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Cold calling, you just dial number after number and when someone picks up you get transferred to a real person.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: