TomsHardware vs LTT

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
15 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

THG came out way before LTT. THG uses to be awesome with its oil cooling rig, purposely burning a AMD Athlon XP CPU, and OC a chip to 5GHz all with techno music playing in the background. Forum response time is slow, LTT on the other hand are really quick. And their system requirement standard is too damn high.

I think the response time are equal. But does moderator come up here often cause in Toms they appear quite frequent and help others too. I haven't seen mods here or they don't help people?

How is your experience with TomsHardware 

I used TomsHardware for quite some time before I got banned perma and now I swtiched to LTT. 

Why did you guys choose LTT but not other forums?

I am new here and if they don;t unban me then I might stay here :)

In case you are curious why I got banned 

well I never used tomshardware much but I guess I chose ltt because the I liked the layout more

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

well I never used tomshardware much but I guess I chose ltt because the I liked the layout more

Indeed LTT looks clean and cool but maybe TomsHardware is more popular I don't know? LTT is surrounding Linus and his youtube with other people but TomsHardware is everyone. I could be wrong

THG came out way before LTT. THG uses to be awesome with its oil cooling rig, purposely burning a AMD Athlon XP CPU, and OC a chip to 5GHz all with techno music playing in the background. Forum response time is slow, LTT on the other hand are really quick. And their system requirement standard is too damn high.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

15 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I think the response time are equal. But does moderator come up here often cause in Toms they appear quite frequent and help others too. I haven't seen mods here or they don't help people?

Also I just noticed you can not put image under signature (something like SpeedTest result or PC specs from CPUID)

I like LTT because it's easy to navigate and the community is (mostly) great,

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

14 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Ltt is faster by light years. Go to their forum and sort new builds by unanswered.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3157283/gaming-800.html

Still no response. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Toms does good reviews

But LTT has better moderation imo.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Ltt is faster by light years. Go to their forum and sort new builds by unanswered.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3157283/gaming-800.html

Still no response. 

The one time I asked for help after spilling coffee on my keyboard I was told that "i had it coming" and that "well, that's one way to learn not to drink coffee close to your keyboard" by toms users.

So I asked in LTT forums and received help to open the keyboard, take the PCB off and clean it with Isopropyl alcohol. Since then I only post in LTT

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

They do, I think there's just less of them.

Or they're all crazy about college like myself xD

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Tom's Hardware looks a bit.. Not super good. The only times I went there were via Google search (as it is often at the top of the page for results), but often enough I see the first answer was just not a very good answer from a poster with a high post amount. The layout of the site doesn't really compel me to check it out too.

Not that LTT is perfect though, no forum is perfect.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 hours ago, Minibois said:

Tom's Hardware looks a bit.. Not super good. The only times I went there were via Google search (as it is often at the top of the page for results)

Same here.

I never used Tom's hardware's forum before. But did some google search and it shows me the forum's hardware review/rankings and stuff.

I like LTT's forum because you can get relatively objective opinions here. 

And also if you posted some questions, a lot of the veterans here are glad to help.

You gotta chance to listen different people's perspective. Can always learn a lot from that. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Same here.

I never used Tom's hardware's forum before. But did some google search and it shows me the forum's hardware review/rankings and stuff.

I like LTT's forum because you can get relatively objective opinions here. 

And also if you posted some questions, a lot of the veterans here are glad to help.

You gotta chance to listen different people's perspective. Can always learn a lot from that. 

A lot of experienced people there too. But yeah. TomsHardware sometime gets a little bit dominating. There is one guy who is best at everything and for me he seems to be giving the decisive answer. Also TomsHardware has rank/badges so those with lots of badges will most likely to receive their answer as solution and continue dominate the site

22 minutes ago, Charger said:

Well I joined the forum because of the super Mario after party's and basically only remain here because of the anime club.

i joined mostly because of some giveaway 3 years ago, and now i only hang out on the car thread lol. and maybe post a status or two.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Is there any kind of badge to show off you are experienced and stuff or people just look at number of posts below your avatar and name? 

LTT is superbly less strict than any other forum I've used.

That still hasnt stopped me from getting temp bans though :(

I cant help when I type bad things.

Linus is my fetish.

Just now, Bhav said:

LTT is superbly less strict than any other forum I've used.

That still hasnt stopped me from getting temp bans though :(

I cant help when I type bad things.

Why did you get ban I want to compare my bans from TomsHardware with LTT

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

Why did you get ban I want to compare my bans from TomsHardware with LTT

It was deservedly so, even though I sent complaints about it, and I dont think I'm allowed to say why because it was that naughty.

Linus is my fetish.

21 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Is there any kind of badge to show off you are experienced and stuff or people just look at number of posts below your avatar and name? 

There used to be badges, but not anymore. Basically there is no way to see if someone is very very smart, or very very dumb. It's just likely when you post something that is just false, someone will call you out for it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

TH is for adults

LTT is for kids

there's more kids on the internet so LTT is more popular

TH users are starting to die of old age already so it's becoming less active

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

18 minutes ago, Minibois said:

There used to be badges, but not anymore. Basically there is no way to see if someone is very very smart, or very very dumb. It's just likely when you post something that is just false, someone will call you out for it.

I told people at TomsHardware that you can not upgrade a laptop's cpu and then the mod team keeps giving me warnings saying you should stop posting. Hmm.

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

TH is for adults

LTT is for kids

there's more kids on the internet so LTT is more popular

TH users are starting to die of old age already so it's becoming less active

Yeah. But then you get a lot of experienced people there. Some have been there for 5 years