Choosing a cheap laptop

Sorry for the weird HORRIBLE formatting, I'm trying to do this on someone else's iPad, and it's being very uncooperative.
So, we need to get some kind of laptop, as we suffered from a disaster a while ago and lost all of our stuff, and my family needs something that's a little portable. 
I need some advice, though, as I've not been able to keep up with tech news recently....And I hate laptops. 
We're not 100% sure how much we can afford to pay for it yet, it might have to be about £280, or we might be able to stretch to £320.
I'm somewhat perplexed as to what the most reliable and least bloated option might be, as from various reviews I came across, it was seeming like one of the Asus X555 laptops might be the best quality for my price range....and then I came across a bunch of Amazon reviews for the i3 5005U version, which were complaining about their laptops getting bricked.
I also have often found that AMD have been the best value for what I want in the past, but I've noticed that some AMD laptops seem to have more complaints than similar Intel laptops.
Ugh, I hate computer manufacturers, I wish I could just build it myself.
Here's some of the laptops I've been looking at.

Asus X540 with Intel i3 4005U (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01A9EO7H8/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile £270), or with an i3 5005U (£320), or with an AMD Dual Core E1-7010 for £280 or so, although I'm guessing that that option is a bad deal. 
(I'm writing this on someone else's iPad, and every time I save it in an email a different  part of it turns a flamboyant colour. This is becoming quite entertaining to write)
Asus X555 with Intel i3 4005U (£280), or with an AMD A6 7310 (£300). I'm also being irritated by this AMD A8 HP (£340) as it's just slightly above my price range...it might be possible to stretch to if it's really worth it, though.
Anyway, I'd really appreciate some suggestions, as I'm kinda stumped right now.  Thanks for taking time to read this. 
TL;DR: I hate laptops.
Edited by Robbietalk

Get a used ThinkPad... It is not going to get any better than that

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Get a second hand first gen i3 or i5 (or whatever AMD had in 2009-2011) laptop and smash in an SSD preferably. It would do just fine if you don't have a lot of cash. And it will crush first hand offerings in terms of £ per performance.

Example: The DELL Latitude E6410 with a first gen Core i5 will go for about 120 euros on second hand sites in the Netherlands. Pair that with an SSD and have really good bang for the buck.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'd love to go down the second hand route (I've seen some really tempting refurbs), but for complex reasons I need something that's new :/.

I'm going to have a look at some benchmarks and reviews again. That Dell that Wedsea posted looks like it might be a good option if I can't go over £280, I'll have to think about it. And I apologise again for putting your eyes through reading that awful spaghetti paragraphing :P