The Skylake Core i3 (51W) CPU Review: i3-6320, i3-6300 and i3-6100 Tested

4960X

Out of every generation of Intel processors, the headline acts are the high core count parts, the ones with a high-frequency or the most expensive models. Of course, any manufacturer that has a high performing halo product will want that story out of the door on day one, but for typical user sales, it is the mid-range that is more relevant. The Intel Core i3 line comes without any Turbo, offering a flat frequency at load, and is synonymous with dual-core configurations with hyperthreading. In this review, we test three of the Core i3 processors, the i3-6100, the i3-6300 and i3-6320, all of which are set at a 51W thermal design power.

1a_678x452.jpg

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10543/the-skylake-core-i3-51w-cpu-review-i3-6320-6300-6100-tested

you can't go wrong with skylake i3. It can pretty much handle anything.

6 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Is this actually allowed to advertise your site here? o.O 

Are you saying that he's someone like Ian Cutress or Ryan Smith?!? Because if he was his name would probably be something like Anandtech_RyanSmith or Ryan Smith or something and he'd probably have an industry affiliate badge.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Regardless,

It gave me insight into lower end processors I would have never considered. I've been an i7 gamer since Sandy bridge. For what I do outside of gaming, I feel the extra spent on the i7 is worth it. 

I never realized for 800 bucks you could essentially get an i3-6320 and enjoy some games. Throw in a decent graphics card and be able to game for a while. While the i3 is underpowered, it's not doing as bad I would have thought.

My new office PC runs a i5 6500 8gb of ram on the iGPU. It's running ALOT faster than my old 2500k. Going from a unlocked to a locked cpu, I wouldn't imagine there would be gains. It's an office PC, the hardest thing it's gotta do run Chrome, MS Office programs, and probably the occasional gaming session (I own the place, I can do what I want).

I might build an i3 ITX rig and mess around with it. See how it handles 1 Strix 1080.

12 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

1) I don't think it's the case

2) I don't think he's even officially affiliated with andan tech

3) I is not allowed but community reps from companies actually Do actively post here (i.e. Digital Storm, some guys from a case company I belive, etc). It is a fine line between advertising and just being in contact with the community but LTT has deemed it acceptable in any case.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Might get one for my brother now with an rx 460

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

36 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

I mean, the section is Tech News & Reviews, so doesn't this fit under that?

38 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Theres a thin line between posting articles and advertising,you'll learn how to find it ;)

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Theres a thin line between posting articles and advertising,you'll learn how to find it ;)

Post seems to follow all guidelines for the section though.

EDIT: Anyway back on topic:

This seems to go well with a thread I was replying to I believe yesterday that pinned the 4460 vs the 6100. What the i3 skylake lacks in extra cores sorta makes up for in IPC increase and higher frequency.

I believe that this chips can easily handle a 480 or a 1060 and for certain games (most actually) it can even handle a 1070/Fury X card without too much trouble. More over is a nice placeholder since unlike Haswell, getting a z170 board and an i3 today leaves you ready for an eventual upgrade to say a 7600k for example.

Most people really underestimate i5 chips already and flatout ignore the i3 chips which as shown are more capable than anything AMD has to offer today for example (I hereby acknowledge all "wait for Zen" comments however)

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm surprised as to how well these performed

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I know how powerful these little beasts can be, I ran an i3 4360 with an r9 390 and maxed out most of my games.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

1 hour ago, Hero7750 said:

I know how powerful these little beasts can be, I ran an i3 4360 with an r9 390 and maxed out most of my games.

This. It seems like a lot of people think that an i3 will bottleneck an r9 390 but it doesn't. It performs just as good as an i5 in most games.

2 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

What are you talking about? This is the Tech News and Reviews section, this is what you're supposed to do.

Plus, the original poster doesn't own Anandtech.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

So I guess I don't need to jump to an i5 then. I have my i3 6100 paired with a R9 380X and haven't had too many issues with any games. 

Guess I'll pick up another one for my guest/back up PC. May get a GTX 1060 for the main rig as well. 

All I do on my PC is play games. All my work related tasks I do my rMBP. 

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

8 minutes ago, Ze_Mako said:

So I guess I don't need to jump to an i5 then. I have my i3 6100 paired with a R9 380X and haven't had too many issues with any games. 

Guess I'll pick up another one for my guest/back up PC. May get a GTX 1060 for the main rig as well. 

All I do on my PC is play games. All my work related tasks I do my rMBP. 

Is that even worth it going from a 380x to a 1060 ?

Only games that show a marked difference are games like GTA V or (not on this benchmarks but I'm certain it will be the case) Cities: Skylines.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, Demonking said:

Is that even worth it going from a 380x to a 1060 ?

My other PC doesn't have a GPU, so it kind of makes sense to get one?

I could wait an see what the 1050 turns out to be and get one for my other PC, but I'm impatient and I have the funds to get a 1060 if I decide to not wait.

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

I wonder when we will finally see the date of a quad core i3,

20 minutes ago, Inkz said:

I wonder when we will finally see the date of a quad core i3,

Probably not before Zen APUs which could* compete with the i3.

Spoiler

*could doesn't means they actually will though

-------

Current Rig

-------

AMD wins in the iGPU department so there's that. Their A10 APUs are pretty good for basic gaming.

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Probably not before Zen APUs which could* compete with the i3.

Reveal hidden contents

*could doesn't means they actually will though

You know they can make them for that cheap with how years they have had quad cores for just a little bit more money. I guess they are just using the don't use your hand until you need to tactic.

6 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

U are new in here, Linus talks about anandtech like every month, he likes the guys who run the website before they sold it etc. Its not OP's site lol. Every tech news must have a source link and in this case its anandtech. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I own a i3-6100, I make the poor thing, edit, render, stream, play GTA V, ECT, i3's are really underrated.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

You can usually find a G1 sniper on sale for less than 90$ as well for it.