Does 100mbps speed equal 100mbps bandwidth?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,
On 8/9/2016 at 1:14 AM, BeatTheFreak said:

My school has a connection of 100mbps and when I download a file I get that full speed, even if there are hundreds of people on the network. So, a Verizon spokesperson called me and told me about the network speeds I could get at my home. He said 50mbps is good for 3 devices and 100mbps is good for 7 devices. This makes no sense to me. If my school and my house get 100mbps and even if there are tens or even hundreds of devices I always get that exact same speed when downloading files (the full 100mbps). So, why are they saying that 100mbps is good for 7 devices when other places have way more the 7 devices and everyone still gets that 100mbps speed? What if I have 200 devices would I pay for 100gbps (I don't even think that's a thing)?

Lots of people here give you bad answers, or incomplete answers.

There's no such thing as 50mbps for 3 devices and 100 mbps good for 7 devices. That's just something their marketing department made up to trick people into buying the more expensive 100 mbps plans. There is no correlation between the number of computers or devices (phones, tablets, internet connected TV or consoles) and the internet plan.

There is however a seed of truth behind what they say, and it's mostly related to how your internet connection will behave if you're using the internet connection heavily on several devices at the same time.  As an example, let's say that your mom watches Netflix in her room (which is streaming with 8-10 mbps), you're watching a Youtube video at 8-10 mbps and your brother is downloading some playstation/xbox game patches with 20 mbps ... the router or cable modem you have in your house will divide those 50 mbps as even as possible between the 3 devices and everyone will be happy. However, if you had more devices playing Youtube videos or Netflix, each device may get less than 8-10 mbps needed to keep the video stream play smoothly and then you'll be unhappy, Youtube or Netflix would start to stutter and buffer, if someone in your house is playing an online game they may have higher pings/lag  - that's partly why they recommend 100 mbps if there's more than 3 devices in your network.

It's up to you to determine if what you have in the house will behave like this, if you'll have often moments when most of your internet connected devices will use a lot of bandwidth. If it's going to happen extremely rarely, which is often the case, you would probably be fine with 50 mbps even if you have more than 3 devices in your home.

As for your first questions.

The internet connection goes into a modem or something which has several network jacks in the back (basically a network switch).  All computers that connect to the back of that router are treated equally. If you have a 100 mbps plan and one the computers connected to the router starts to download from a website that's fast and can send the data to you at 100 mbps, that computer will receive the data at 100 mbps.

If another computer in your house starts to download data from a website, the router is smart enough to give each computer an amount of the internet connection and both will get reasonable speeds. The first computer will not slow down all the other computers in your house, its download speed will probably go down a bit to make room for the download belonging to the second computer.

Your school's internet plan is most likely slightly different than an internet plan you'll be able to buy at home.

First of all, the plan is probably for 1gbps (1000 mbps) and not 100 mbps, but the internet cable goes into a router (a computer or a dedicated box like a switch) and then it's probably connected to a few network switches. 

The rooms in your school are probably each connected to those switches at a central location in your school using a 100 mbps connection. Therefore, if you're in a classroom and you download something, you get 100 mbps up to those switches, which are connected to the Internet using a 1000 mbps internet connection.

If two people in different classrooms would start to download something, each will have a 100 mbps connection to those switches, and then to the internet through that 1000 mbps connection.

If two people in the same classroom start to download something, they'll probably be limited by the connection between the classroom and the switches, which is probably 100 mbps.

Also, schools and universities often employ transparent proxy servers. Imagine a fast computer connected to those switches in the school with a 1000 mbps connection, so this computer can download from the internet with up to 1000 mbps and can send data to people in the school at up to 1000 mbps.

This fast computer just sits there and listens to what people access on the internet, the websites they visit and the downloads they start. When a download is started, this computer simply checks if that file was already downloaded by someone else and if that's the case it reads the file from the hard drive and sends it to the person requesting it instead of downloading the file from the remote website. If the computer doesn't find the file locally, it downloads it and at the same time it sends it to the computer that requested it inside the school, and next time someone wants the file it's stored on the computers' hard drive.

You as a regular user don't know if you downloaded the file from the remote website or from the computer inside your school, it can be completely transparent to you.

This is often done at LAN parties , see this article as an example.

You should also keep in mind that the internet plans of schools are often "special" - the schools receive IP addresses from a special range reserved for business or educational customers, and the data traffic is sometimes going through separate fiber optics cables, so the school's internet connection is less likely to be slowed down. A regular home user shares a fiber optic connection with lots of people in his neighborhood and depending on time of day and other people's behavior, the people around you may use a large amount of the bandwidth available on the fiber cable coming to your neighborhood.

Also, some schools and universities are part of various education networks like GÉANT or HEAnet in Ireland for example (you can even see the connections this network has with other networks and locations here if you're curious) and lots of others - basically what this means that Verizon may have a deal or understanding so that when your school tries to connect to some kinds of websites (like websites belonging to educational or research websites of other countries), instead of sending and receiving the data through regular fiber optics owned by Verizon (which may be saturated with data from other customers of theirs), the data is routed through some of these separate high speed networks which often have more available bandwidth.

For example, if you'd try to download a file from your home connection from somewhere remote, Verizon may only have a 10 gbps optical fiber going to that remote location and lots of people like your may download stuff from websites in that remote location, so you get poor speeds. From your school however, you may get higher speeds because the moment Verizon receives the requests in their center, it routes your requests through one of these private networks which may have 25-40 gbps of bandwidth to that remote location, and which is used by fewer people. So from school you'd get faster downloads.

My school has a connection of 100mbps and when I download a file I get that full speed, even if there are hundreds of people on the network. So, a Verizon spokesperson called me and told me about the network speeds I could get at my home. He said 50mbps is good for 3 devices and 100mbps is good for 7 devices. This makes no sense to me. If my school and my house get 100mbps and even if there are tens or even hundreds of devices I always get that exact same speed when downloading files (the full 100mbps). So, why are they saying that 100mbps is good for 7 devices when other places have way more the 7 devices and everyone still gets that 100mbps speed? What if I have 200 devices would I pay for 100gbps (I don't even think that's a thing)?

I'm assuming at your school they're using some type of program to limit your downloading speed for everyone (100mb/s max) and their plan is gigabit or higher. That's why you can have lots of people downloading and still have the same speed. 

For your home connection they only give you 100mb for example. You can use 100mb on 1 device or use 80 on 1 device and 20 on another or anywhere in between. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Usually ISPs guarantee 20% of the speed you are being sold. At your school they could be getting much faster speeds and use some type of management to make it 100mb/s when usually schools have gigabit+. 

ƆԀ S₱▓Ɇ▓cs: i7 6ʇɥפᴉƎ00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GT҉X҉1҉0҉8҉0 Zotac Amp ExTrꍟꎭe),Si6F4Gb D???????r PlatinUm, EVGA G2 Sǝʌǝᘉ5ᙣᙍᖇᓎᙎᗅᖶt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGeeTeeX, Windows 10, K70 R̸̢̡̭͍͕̱̭̟̩̀̀̃́̃͒̈́̈́͑̑́̆͘͜ͅG̶̦̬͊́B̸͈̝̖͗̈́, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. פN∩SW∀S 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 9̵̨̢̨̧̧̡̧̡̧̡̧̡̡̢̢̡̢̧̡̢̡̡̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̱̖͈̠̝̯̹͉̝̞̩̠̹̺̰̺̲̳͈̞̻̜̫̹̱̗̣͙̻̘͎̲̝͙͍͔̯̲̟̞͚̖̘͉̭̰̣͎͕̼̼̜̼͕͎̣͇͓͓͎̼̺̯͈̤̝͖̩̭͍̣̱̞̬̺̯̼̤̲͎̖̠̟͍̘̭͔̟̗̙̗̗̤̦͍̫̬͔̦̳̗̳͔̞̼̝͍̝͈̻͇̭̠͈̳͍̫̮̥̭͍͔͈̠̹̼̬̰͈̤͚̖̯͍͉͖̥̹̺͕̲̥̤̺̹̹̪̺̺̭͕͓̟̳̹͍̖͎̣̫͓͍͈͕̳̹̙̰͉͙̝̜̠̥̝̲̮̬͕̰̹̳͕̰̲̣̯̫̮͙̹̮͙̮̝̣͇̺̺͇̺̺͈̳̜̣̙̻̣̜̻̦͚̹̩͓͚̖͍̥̟͍͎̦͙̫̜͔̭̥͈̬̝̺̩͙͙͉̻̰̬̗̣͖̦͎̥̜̬̹͓͈͙̤̜̗͔̩̖̳̫̑̀̂̽̈́̈́̿͒̿̋̊͌̾̄̄̒̌͐̽̿̊͑̑̆͗̈̎̄͒̑̋͛̑͑̂͑̀͐̀͑̓͊̇͆̿͑͛͛͆́͆̓̿̇̀̓͑͆͂̓̾̏͊̀̇̍̃́̒̎̀̒̄̓̒̐̑̊̏̌̽̓͂͋̓̐̓͊̌͋̀̐̇̌̓̔͊̈̇́̏͒̋͊̓̆̋̈̀̌̔͆͑̈̐̈̍̀̉̋̈́͊̽͂̿͌͊̆̾̉͐̿̓̄̾͑̈́͗͗̂̂́̇͂̀̈́́̽̈́̓̓͂̽̓̀̄͌̐̔̄̄͒͌̈́̅̉͊̂͒̀̈́̌͂̽̀̑̏̽̀͑̐̐͋̀̀͋̓̅͋͗̍́͗̈́̆̏̇͊̌̏̔̑̐̈́͑̎͑͆̏̎́̑̍̏̒̌̊͘͘̚̕̚̕̕̚̕̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅ8̵̨̛̛̛̛̮͍͕̥͉̦̥̱̞̜̫̘̤̖̬͍͇͓̜̻̪̤̣̣̹̑͑̏̈́̐̐́̎͒̔͒̌̑̓̆̓͑̉̈́́͋̌͋͐͛͋̃̍̽̊͗͋͊̂̅͊͑́͋͛̉̏̓͌̾̈́̀͛͊̾͑̌̀̀̌̓̏̑́̄̉̌͂́͛̋͊̄͐͊̈́̀̌̆̎̿̓̔̍̎̀̍̚̕̕͘͘͘̕̚͝͝͠͠͠0̶̡̡̡̢̨̨͕̠̠͉̺̻̯̱̘͇̥͎͖̯͕̖̬̭͔̪̪͎̺̠̤̬̬̤̣̭̣͍̥̱̘̳̣̤͚̭̥͚̦͙̱̦͕̼͖͙͕͇̭͓͉͎̹̣̣͕̜͍͖̳̭͕̼̳̖̩͍͔̱̙̠̝̺̰̦̱̿̄̀͐͜͜ͅͅt̶̡̨̡̨̧̢̧̢̨̧̧̧̧̢̡̨̨̢̨̢̧̢̛̛̛̛̛̠͍̞̮͇̪͉̩̗̗͖̫͉͎͓̮̣̘̫͔̘̬̮̙̯̣͕͓̲̣͓͓̣̹̟͈̱͚̘̼̙̖̖̼̙̜̝͙̣̠̪̲̞̖̠̯̖̠̜̱͉̲̺͙̤̻̦̜͎̙̳̺̭̪̱͓̦̹̺͙̫̖̖̰̣͈͍̜̺̘͕̬̥͇̗̖̺̣̲̫̟̣̜̭̟̱̳̳̖͖͇̹̯̜̹͙̻̥̙͉͕̜͎͕̦͕̱͖͉̜̹̱̦͔͎̲̦͔̖̘̫̻̹̮̗̮̜̰͇̰͔̱͙̞̠͍͉͕̳͍̰̠̗̠̯̜̩͓̭̺̦̲̲͖̯̩̲̣̠͉̦̬͓̠̜̲͍̘͇̳̳͔̼̣͚̙͙͚͕̙̘̣̠͍̟̪̝̲͇͚̦̖͕̰̟̪͖̳̲͉͙̰̭̼̩̟̝̣̝̬̳͎̙̱͒̃̈͊̔͒͗̐̄̌͐͆̍͂̃̈́̾͗̅̐͒̓̆͛̂̾͋̍͂̂̄̇̿̈͌̅̈́̃̾̔̇̇̾̀͊͋̋̌̄͌͆͆̎̓̈́̾̊͊̇̌̔̈́̈́̀̐͊̊̍͑̊̈̓͑̀́̅̀̑̈́̽̃̽͛̇́̐̓̀͆̔̈̀̍̏̆̓̆͒̋́̋̍́̂̉͛̓̓̂̋̎́̒̏̈͋̃̽͆̓̀̔͑̈́̓͌͑̅̽́̐̍̉̑̓̈́͌̋̈́͂̊́͆͂̇̈́̔̃͌̅̈́͌͛̑̐̓̔̈́̀͊͛̐̾͐̔̾̈̃̈̄͑̓̋̇̉̉̚̕̚͘̕̚̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠ͅͅͅͅͅi̵̢̧̢̧̡̧̢̢̧̢̢̢̡̡̡̧̧̡̡̧̛̛͈̺̲̫͕̞͓̥̖̭̜̫͉̻̗̭̖͔̮̠͇̩̹̱͈̗̭͈̤̠̮͙͇̲͙̰̳̹̲͙̜̟͚͎͓̦̫͚̻̟̰̣̲̺̦̫͓̖̯̝̬͉̯͓͈̫̭̜̱̞̹̪͔̤̜͙͓̗̗̻̟͎͇̺̘̯̲̝̫͚̰̹̫̗̳̣͙̮̱̲͕̺̠͉̫̖̟͖̦͉̟͈̭̣̹̱̖̗̺̘̦̠̯̲͔̘̱̣͙̩̻̰̠͓͙̰̺̠̖̟̗̖͉̞̣̥̝̤̫̫̜͕̻͉̺͚̣̝̥͇̭͎̖̦̙̲͈̲̠̹̼͎͕̩͓̖̥̘̱̜͙̹̝͔̭̣̮̗̞̩̣̬̯̜̻̯̩̮̩̹̻̯̬̖͂̈͂̒̇͗͑̐̌̎̑̽̑̈̈́͑̽́̊͋̿͊͋̅̐̈́͑̇̿̈́̌͌̊̅͂̎͆̏̓͂̈̿̏̃͑̏̓͆̔̋̎̕͘͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅZ̴̧̢̨̢̧̢̢̡̧̢̢̢̨̨̨̡̨̧̢̧̛̛̬̖͈̮̝̭̖͖̗̹̣̼̼̘̘̫̠̭̞͙͔͙̜̠̗̪̠̼̫̻͓̳̟̲̳̻̙̼͇̺͎̘̹̼͔̺̹̬̯̤̮̟͈̭̻͚̣̲͔͙̥͕̣̻̰͈̼̱̺̤̤͉̙̦̩̗͎̞͓̭̞̗͉̳̭̭̺̹̹̮͕̘̪̞̱̥͈̹̳͇̟̹̱̙͚̯̮̳̤͍̪̞̦̳̦͍̲̥̳͇̪̬̰̠͙͕̖̝̫̩̯̱̘͓͎̪͈̤̜͎̱̹̹̱̲̻͎̖̳͚̭̪̦̗̬͍̯̘̣̩̬͖̝̹̣̗̭͖̜͕̼̼̲̭͕͔̩͓̞̝͓͍̗̙̯͔̯̞̝̳̜̜͉̖̩͇̩̘̪̥̱͓̭͎͖̱̙̩̜͎̙͉̟͎͔̝̥͕͍͓̹̮̦̫͚̠̯͓̱͖͔͓̤͉̠͙̋͐̀͌̈́͆̾͆̑̔͂͒̀̊̀͋͑̂͊̅͐̿́̈́̐̀̏̋̃̄͆͒̈́̿̎́́̈̀̀͌̔͋͊̊̉̿͗͊͑̔͐̇͆͛̂̐͊̉̄̈́̄̐͂͂͒͑͗̓͑̓̾̑͋̒͐͑̾͂̎̋̃̽̂̅̇̿̍̈́́̄̍͂͑̏̐̾̎̆̉̾͂̽̈̆̔́͋͗̓̑̕͘̕͘͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͠͠͝ͅo̶̪͆́̀͂̂́̄̅͂̿͛̈́̿͊͗́͘͝t̴̡̨̧̨̧̡̧̨̡̢̧̢̡̨̛̪͈̣̭̺̱̪̹̺̣̬̖̣̻͈̞̙͇̩̻̫͈̝̭̟͎̻̟̻̝̱͔̝̼͍̞̼̣̘̤̯͓͉̖̠̤͔̜̙͚͓̻͓̬͓̻̜̯̱̖̳̱̗̠̝̥̩͓̗̪̙͓̖̠͎̗͎̱̮̯̮͙̩̫̹̹̖͙̙͖̻͈̙̻͇͔̙̣̱͔̜̣̭̱͈͕̠̹͙̹͇̻̼͎͍̥̘͙̘̤̜͎̟͖̹̦̺̤͍̣̼̻̱̲͎̗̹͉͙̪̞̻̹͚̰̻͈͈͊̈́̽̀̎̃̊́̈́̏̃̍̉̇̑̂̇̏̀͊̑̓͛̽͋̈́͆́̊͊̍͌̈́̓͊̌̿̂̾̐͑̓̀́͒̃̋̓͆̇̀͊̆͗̂͑͐̀͗̅̆͘̕͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅḁ̶̢̡̨̧̡̡̨̨̧̨̡̡̢̧̨̡̡̛̛̛͍̱̳͚͕̩͍̺̪̻̫̙͈̬͙̖͙̬͍̬̟̣̝̲̼̜̼̺͎̥̮̝͙̪̘̙̻͖͇͚͙̣̬̖̲̲̥̯̦̗̰̙̗̪̞̗̩̻̪̤̣̜̳̩̦̻͓̞̙͍͙̫̩̹̥͚̻̦̗̰̲̙̫̬̱̺̞̟̻͓̞͚̦̘̝̤͎̤̜̜̥̗̱͈̣̻̰̮̼̙͚͚̠͚̲̤͔̰̭̙̳͍̭͎̙͚͍̟̺͎̝͓̹̰̟͈͈̖̺͙̩̯͔̙̭̟̞̟̼̮̦̜̳͕̞̼͈̜͍̮͕̜͚̝̦̞̥̜̥̗̠̦͇͖̳͈̜̮̣͚̲̟͙̎̈́́͊̔̑̽̅͐͐͆̀͐́̓̅̈͑͑̍̿̏́͆͌̋̌̃̒̽̀̋̀̃̏̌́͂̿̃̎̐͊̒̀̊̅͒̎͆̿̈́̑̐̒̀̈́̓̾͋͆̇̋͒̎̈̄̓̂͊̆͂̈́̒̎͐̇̍̆̋̅̿̔͒̄̇̂̋̈́͆̎̔̇͊̊̈́̔̏͋́̀͂̈́̊͋͂̍̾̓͛̇̔̚͘̚̕̚͘͘̕̕̕̚͘͘̚̕̚̕͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅç̵̧̢̨̢̢̢̧̧̡̨̡̢̧̧̧̨̡̡̨̨̢̢̢̧̨̢̨̢̛̛͉̗̠͇̹̖̝͕͚͎̟̻͓̳̰̻̺̞̣͚̤͙͍͇̗̼͖͔͕͙͖̺͙̖̹̘̘̺͓̜͍̣̰̗̖̺̗̪̘̯̘͚̲͚̲̬̞̹̹͕̭͔̳̘̝̬͉̗̪͉͕̞̫͔̭̭̜͉͔̬̫͙̖̙͚͔͙͚͍̲̘͚̪̗̞̣̞̲͎͔͖̺͍͎̝͎͍̣͍̩̟͈͕̗͉̪̯͉͎͖͍̖͎̖̯̲̘̦̟̭͍͚͓͈͙̬͖̘̱̝̜̘̹̩̝̥̜͎̬͓̬͙͍͇͚̟̫͇̬̲̥̘̞̘̟̘̝̫͈̙̻͇͎̣̪̪̠̲͓͉͙͚̭̪͇̯̠̯̠͖̞̜͓̲͎͇̼̱̦͍͉͈͕͉̗̟̖̗̱̭͚͎̘͓̬͍̱͍̖̯̜̗̹̰̲̩̪͍̞̜̫̩̠͔̻̫͍͇͕̰̰̘͚͈̠̻̮͊̐̿̏̐̀̇̑̐̈͛͑͑̍̑̔̃̈́̓̈́̇̐͑̐̊̆͂̀̏͛̊̔̍̽͗͋̊̍̓̈́̏̅͌̀̽́̑͒͒̓͗̈́̎͌͂̕̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅS̵̡̡̧̧̨̨̡̢̡̡̡̡̧̧̡̧̢̫̯͔̼̲͉͙̱̮̭̗͖̯̤͙̜͚̰̮̝͚̥̜̞̠̤̺̝͇̻̱͙̩̲̺͍̳̤̺̖̝̳̪̻̗̮̪̖̺̹̭͍͇̗̝̱̻̳̝̖̝͎̙͉̞̱̯̙̜͇̯̻̞̱̭̗͉̰̮̞͍̫̺͙͎̙̞̯̟͓͉̹̲͖͎̼̫̩̱͇̲͓̪͉̺̞̻͎̤̥̭̺̘̻̥͇̤̖̰̘̭̳̫̙̤̻͇̪̦̭̱͎̥̟͖͕̣̤̩̟̲̭̹̦̹̣͖̖͒̈́̈́̓͗̈̄͂̈́̅̐̐̿̎̂͗̎̿̕͘͜͜͜͜͝͝ͅͅt̸̡̡̧̧̨̡̢̛̥̥̭͍̗͈̩͕͔͔̞̟͍̭͇̙̺̤͚͎͈͎͕̱͈̦͍͔͓̬͚̗̰̦͓̭̰̭̎̀̂̈́̓̒̈́̈́̂̄̋́̇̂͐͒̋̋̉͐̉̏̇͋̓̈́͐̾͋̒͒͐̊̊̀̄͆̄͆̑͆̇̊̓̚̚̕̚̕͜͠͝͝ͅͅơ̵̡̨̡̡̡̨̛̺͕̼͔̼̪̳͖͓̠̘̘̳̼͚͙͙͚̰͚͚͖̥̦̥̘̖̜̰͔̠͕̦͎̞̮͚͕͍̤̠̦͍̥̝̰̖̳̫̮̪͇̤̱̜͙͔̯͙̙̼͇̹̥̜͈̲̺̝̻̮̬̼̫̞̗̣̪̱͓̺̜̠͇͚͓̳̹̥̳̠͍̫͈̟͈̘̯̬̞͔̝͍͍̥̒̐͗͒͂͆̑̀̿̏́̀͑͗̐́̀̾̓́̌̇̒̈́̌̓͐̃̈́̒̂̀̾͂̊̀̂͐̃̄̓̔̽̒̈́̇̓͌̇̂̆̒̏̊̋͊͛͌̊̇̒̅͌̄̎̔̈́͊́̽̋̈̇̈́́͊̅͂̎̃͌͊͛͂̄̽̈́̿͐̉̽̿́́̉͆̈́̒́̂̾̄̇̌̒̈̅̍̿̐͑̓͊̈́̈̋̈́̉̍̋̊̈̀̈́̾̿̌̀̈́͌̑̍́̋̒̀̂̈́́̾̏̐̅̈̑͗͐̈͂̄̾̄̈́̍̉͑͛͗͋̈́̃̄̊́́͐̀̀̽̇̓̄̓̃͋͋̂̽̔̀̎͌̈́̈́̑̓̔̀̓͐͛͆̿̋͑͛̈́͂̅̋̅͆͗̇́̀̒́̏͒̐̍͂̓͐͐̇̂̉̑̊͑̉̋̍͊̄̀͂̎͒̔͊̃̏̕̚̕̕͘͘͘̚͘̚͘̕͘̚͘̚̚̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅc̴̨̡̢̢̢̡̡̢̛̛̛̻͇̝̣͉͚͎͕̻̦͖̤̖͇̪̩̤̻̭̮̙̰̖̰̳̪̱̹̳̬͖̣͙̼̙̰̻̘͇͚̺̗̩̫̞̳̼̤͔͍͉̟͕̯̺͈̤̰̹̍̋́͆̾̆̊͆͋̀͑͒̄̿̄̀̂͋̊͆́͑̑̽͊̓́̔̽̌͊̄͑͒͐̑͗̿̃̀̓̅́̿͗̈́͌̋̀̏̂͌̓́̇̀͒͋̌̌̅͋͌̆͐̀̔̒͐̊̇̿̽̀̈́̃̒̋̀̈́̃̏̂̊͗̑̊̈̇̀̌͐̈́̉̂̏͊̄͐̈̽͒̏̒̓́̌̓̅́̓̃͐͊͒̄͑̒͌̍̈́̕͘̚͘̕͘̚̕͜͝͠͝͝͝ͅǩ̴̢̢̢̧̨̢̢̢̨̨̨̢̢̢̨̧̨̡̡̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̜̥̩̙͕̮̪̻͈̘̯̼̰̜͚̰͖̬̳͖̣̭̼͔̲͉̭̺͚̺̟͉̝̱̲͎͉̙̥̤͚͙̬̪̜̺͙͍̱̞̭̬̩̖̤̹̤̺̦͈̰̗̰͍͇̱̤̬̬͙̙̲̙̜͖͓̙̟̙̯̪͍̺̥͔͕̝̳̹̻͇̠̣͈̰̦͓͕̩͇͈͇̖͙͍̰̲̤̞͎̟̝̝͈͖͔͖̦̮̗̬̞̞̜̬̠̹̣̣̲̮̞̤̜̤̲̙͔͕̯͔͍̤͕̣͔͙̪̫̝̣̰̬̬̭̞͔̦̟̥̣̻͉͈̮̥̦̮̦͕̤͇̺͆͆̈͗̄̀̌̔̈́̈̉̾̊̐̆̂͛̀̋́̏̀̿͒̓̈́̈́͂̽̾͗͊̋̐̓̓̀̃̊̊͑̓̈̎̇͑̆̂̉̾̾̑͊̉̃́̑͌̀̌̐̅̃̿̆̎̈́̀̒́͛̓̀̊́̋͛͒͊̆̀̃̊͋̋̾̇̒̋͂̏͗͆̂̔́̐̀́͗̅̈̋̂̎̒͊̌̉̈̈́͌̈́̔̾̊̎́͐͒̋̽̽́̾̿̚̕͘͘̚̕̕̕̚̚̕̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅB̸̢̧̨̡̢̧̨̡̡̨̡̨̡̡̡̢̨̢̨̛̛̛̛̛̛͉̞͚̰̭̲͈͎͕͈̦͍͈̮̪̤̻̻͉̫̱͔̞̫̦̰͈̗̯̜̩̪̲̻̖̳͖̦͎͔̮̺̬̬̼̦̠̪̤͙͍͓̜̥̙̖̫̻̜͍̻̙̖̜̹͔̗̪̜̖̼̞̣̠̫͉̯̮̤͈͎̝̪͎͇͙̦̥͙̳̫̰̪̣̱̘̤̭̱͍̦͔̖͎̺̝̰̦̱̣͙̙̤͚̲͔̘̱̜̻͔̥̻͖̭͔̜͉̺͕͙͖̜͉͕̤͚̠̩̮̟͚̗͈͙̟̞̮̬̺̻̞͔̥͉͍̦̤͓̦̻̦̯̟̰̭̝̘̩̖̝͔̳͉̗̖̱̩̩̟͙͙͛̀͐̈́̂̇͛̅̒̉̏̈́̿͐́̏̃̏̓̌̽͐̈́͛̍͗͆͛̋̔̉͂̔̂̓̌͌͋̂͆̉͑̊̎́̈́̈̂͆͑́̃̍̇̿̅̾́́̿̅̾̆̅̈́̈̓͒͌͛̃͆̋͂̏̓̅̀͂̽̂̈̈́̎̾̐͋͑̅̍̈́̑̅̄͆̓̾̈́͐̎̊͐̌̌̓͊̊̔̈́̃͗̓͊͐̌͆̓͗̓̓̾̂̽͊͗́́́̽͊͆͋͊̀̑̿̔͒̏̈́́̏͆̈́͋̒͗͂̄̇̒͐̃͑̅̍͒̎̈́̌̋́̓͂̀̇͛̋͊͆̈́̋́̍̃͒̆̕̚̚̕̕̕͘̕̚̚͘̕͜͜͜͜͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅI̵̡̢̧̨̡̢̨̡̡̢̡̧̡̢̢̢̡̢̛̛͕͎͕̩̠̹̩̺̣̳̱͈̻̮̺̟̘̩̻̫͖̟͓̩̜̙͓͇̙̱̭̰̻̫̥̗̠͍͍͚̞̘̫͉̬̫̖̖̦͖͉̖̩̩̖̤̺̥̻̝͈͎̻͓̟̹͍̲͚͙̹̟̟̯͚̳̟͕̮̻̟͈͇̩̝̼̭̯͚͕̬͇̲̲̯̰̖̙̣̝͇̠̞̙͖͎̮̬̳̥̣̺̰͔̳̳̝̩̤̦̳̞̰̩̫̟͚̱̪̘͕̫̼͉̹̹̟̮̱̤̜͚̝̠̤̖̮̯̳͖̗̹̞̜̹̭̿̏͋̒͆̔̄̃̾̓͛̾̌́̅̂͆̔͌͆͋̔̾́̈̇̐̄̑̓̂̾́̄̿̓̅̆͌̉̎̏̄͛̉͆̓̎͒͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͠ͅͅƠ̷̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̟̰͔͔͇̲̰̮̘̭̭̖̥̟̘̠̬̺̪͇̲͋͂̅̈́̍͂̽͗̾͒̇̇̒͐̍̽͊́̑̇̑̾̉̓̈̾͒̍̌̅̒̾̈́̆͌̌̾̎̽̐̅̏́̈̔͛̀̋̃͊̒̓͗͒̑͒̃͂̌̄̇̑̇͛̆̾͛̒̇̍̒̓̀̈́̄̐͂̍͊͗̎̔͌͛̂̏̉̊̎͗͊͒̂̈̽̊́̔̊̃͑̈́̑̌̋̓̅̔́́͒̄̈́̈̂͐̈̅̈̓͌̓͊́̆͌̉͐̊̉͛̓̏̓̅̈́͂̉̒̇̉̆̀̍̄̇͆͛̏̉̑̃̓͂́͋̃̆̒͋̓͊̄́̓̕̕̕̚͘͘͘̚̕̚͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠ͅS̷̢̨̧̢̡̨̢̨̢̨̧̧̨̧͚̱̪͇̱̮̪̮̦̝͖̜͙̘̪̘̟̱͇͎̻̪͚̩͍̠̹̮͚̦̝̤͖̙͔͚̙̺̩̥̻͈̺̦͕͈̹̳̖͓̜͚̜̭͉͇͖̟͔͕̹̯̬͍̱̫̮͓̙͇̗̙̼͚̪͇̦̗̜̼̠͈̩̠͉͉̘̱̯̪̟͕̘͖̝͇̼͕̳̻̜͖̜͇̣̠̹̬̗̝͓̖͚̺̫͛̉̅̐̕͘͜͜͜͜ͅͅͅ.̶̨̢̢̨̢̨̢̛̻͙̜̼̮̝̙̣̘̗̪̜̬̳̫̙̮̣̹̥̲̥͇͈̮̟͉̰̮̪̲̗̳̰̫̙͍̦̘̠̗̥̮̹̤̼̼̩͕͉͕͇͙̯̫̩̦̟̦̹͈͔̱̝͈̤͓̻̟̮̱͖̟̹̝͉̰͊̓̏̇͂̅̀̌͑̿͆̿̿͗̽̌̈́̉̂̀̒̊̿͆̃̄͑͆̃̇͒̀͐̍̅̃̍̈́̃̕͘͜͜͝͠͠z̴̢̢̡̧̢̢̧̢̨̡̨̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̲͚̠̜̮̠̜̞̤̺͈̘͍̻̫͖̣̥̗̙̳͓͙̫̫͖͍͇̬̲̳̭̘̮̤̬̖̼͎̬̯̼̮͔̭̠͎͓̼̖̟͈͓̦̩̦̳̙̮̗̮̩͙͓̮̰̜͎̺̞̝̪͎̯̜͈͇̪̙͎̩͖̭̟͎̲̩͔͓͈͌́̿͐̍̓͗͑̒̈́̎͂̋͂̀͂̑͂͊͆̍͛̄̃͌͗̌́̈̊́́̅͗̉͛͌͋̂̋̇̅̔̇͊͑͆̐̇͊͋̄̈́͆̍̋̏͑̓̈́̏̀͒̂̔̄̅̇̌̀̈́̿̽̋͐̾̆͆͆̈̌̿̈́̎͌̊̓̒͐̾̇̈́̍͛̅͌̽́̏͆̉́̉̓̅́͂͛̄̆͌̈́̇͐̒̿̾͌͊͗̀͑̃̊̓̈̈́̊͒̒̏̿́͑̄̑͋̀̽̀̔̀̎̄͑̌̔́̉̐͛̓̐̅́̒̎̈͆̀̍̾̀͂̄̈́̈́̈́̑̏̈́̐̽̐́̏̂̐̔̓̉̈́͂̕̚̕͘͘̚͘̚̕̚̚̚͘̕̕̕͜͜͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅī̸̧̧̧̡̨̨̢̨̛̛̘͓̼̰̰̮̗̰͚̙̥̣͍̦̺͈̣̻͇̱͔̰͈͓͖͈̻̲̫̪̲͈̜̲̬̖̻̰̦̰͙̤̘̝̦̟͈̭̱̮̠͍̖̲͉̫͔͖͔͈̻̖̝͎̖͕͔̣͈̤̗̱̀̅̃̈́͌̿̏͋̊̇̂̀̀̒̉̄̈́͋͌̽́̈́̓̑̈̀̍͗͜͜͠͠ͅp̴̢̢̧̨̡̡̨̢̨̢̢̢̨̡̛̛͕̩͕̟̫̝͈̖̟̣̲̖̭̙͇̟̗͖͎̹͇̘̰̗̝̹̤̺͉͎̙̝̟͙͚̦͚͖̜̫̰͖̼̤̥̤̹̖͉͚̺̥̮̮̫͖͍̼̰̭̤̲͔̩̯̣͖̻͇̞̳̬͉̣̖̥̣͓̤͔̪̙͎̰̬͚̣̭̞̬͎̼͉͓̮͙͕̗̦̞̥̮̘̻͎̭̼͚͎͈͇̥̗͖̫̮̤̦͙̭͎̝͖̣̰̱̩͎̩͎̘͇̟̠̱̬͈̗͍̦̘̱̰̤̱̘̫̫̮̥͕͉̥̜̯͖̖͍̮̼̲͓̤̮͈̤͓̭̝̟̲̲̳̟̠͉̙̻͕͙̞͔̖͈̱̞͓͔̬̮͎̙̭͎̩̟̖͚̆͐̅͆̿͐̄̓̀̇̂̊̃̂̄̊̀͐̍̌̅͌̆͊̆̓́̄́̃̆͗͊́̓̀͑͐̐̇͐̍́̓̈́̓̑̈̈́̽͂́̑͒͐͋̊͊̇̇̆̑̃̈́̎͛̎̓͊͛̐̾́̀͌̐̈́͛̃̂̈̿̽̇̋̍͒̍͗̈͘̚̚͘̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͠͝͝ͅͅͅ☻♥■∞{╚mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I'm assuming at your school they're using some type of program to limit your downloading speed for everyone (100mb/s max) and their plan is gigabit or higher. That's why you can have lots of people downloading and still have the same speed. 

For your home connection they only give you 100mb for example. You can use 100mb on 1 device or use 80 on 1 device and 20 on another or anywhere in between. 

That doesn't make sense to me either. I can't find any plan in my state that allows gigabit speeds, so my school can possibly be getting a connection like that. 

I'll use the pipe idea.

You get a pipe of size x (this could be 100mbps, 50mbps, 1gbps eta).

That is the bandwidth.

All the devices share that bandwidth.

For example if you have a 100mbps pipe, 1 device could use it all or 1 device could be using 80mbps or it and another using 20mbps of it.

Your school probably has a 1gbps or more connection. They then limit each users to a maximum of 100mbps of that.

My school does something very similar to that.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

1 minute ago, BeatTheFreak said:

That doesn't make sense to me either. I can't find any plan in my state that allows gigabit speeds, so my school can possibly be getting a connection like that. 

Look for business connections or dedicated lease lines.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, BeatTheFreak said:

Enterprise/educational/business connections are different from residential connections. The ISPs offer vastly more speed to those types of buildings than residential because they need it and it's way more expensive. 

Also they probably won't want over saturation of their network for residents. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, mcraftax said:

I'll use the pipe idea.

You get a pipe of size x (this could be 100mbps, 50mbps, 1gbps eta).

That is the bandwidth.

All the devices share that bandwidth.

For example if you have a 100mbps pipe, 1 device could use it all or 1 device could be using 80mbps or it and another using 20mbps of it.

Your school probably has a 1gbps or more connection. They then limit each users to a maximum of 100mbps of that.

My school does something very similar to that.

Can you explain to me how my school gets 1gbps if no ISP near my school offers anything above 100mbps?

Just now, BeatTheFreak said:

Can you explain to me how my school gets 1gbps if no ISP near my school offers anything above 100mbps?

2 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, BeatTheFreak said:

They use a business line which usually has way more capacity and bandwidth than residential connections. 

Go onto Verizon's website and try to find the business section. 

They even sometimes offer custom speeds for some businesses. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

14 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

14 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Enterprise/educational/business connections are different from residential connections. The ISPs offer vastly more speed to those types of buildings than residential because they need it and it's way more expensive. 

Also they probably won't want over saturation of their network for residents. 

12 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

12 minutes ago, themctipers said:

They use a business line which usually has way more capacity and bandwidth than residential connections. 

Go onto Verizon's website and try to find the business section. 

They even sometimes offer custom speeds for some businesses. 

Ok, so what all of you are saying is that if 1 device is using all 100mbps then no other device on the network can use anything, correct?

2 hours ago, BeatTheFreak said:

Ok, so what all of you are saying is that if 1 device is using all 100mbps then no other device on the network can use anything, correct?

Yes. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

22 hours ago, BeatTheFreak said:

In reality, no one device would use all 100Mbps - the various devices on the network would fight for bandwidth and it would be split up between them.

The one exception is if no other device is using bandwidth, then your computer could use all 100Mbps. But as another device comes online (Starts YouTube or something), your bandwidth will scale down a bit.

You can also configure QoS (Quality of Service), which is a load balancing feature that tries to ensure that no device steals all the bandwidth (which would prevent other devices from getting online or would cause the other devices to have a very slow connection).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 hours ago, BeatTheFreak said:

There are a couple of other things to consider.

This first being Upload and Download speeds, even if you had a dedicated 100Mbps download if you tried to download a file from a server that only had a 2Mbps uplink then you could only download at the max 2Mbps.

Secondly, your school probably has a few external lines that are managed through firewalls to look like a single connection to the end user.

Oh and the 3 devices on 50Mbps and 7 on 100Mbps is confusing because it is wrong, the amount of client connections depends on so many different things that you couldn't just pull a number out of the air like that. For example you could have a 10gig downstream but an accent wifi AP and only be allowed like 20 connections at a time. 

Phew, rant over ;) 

On 8/8/2016 at 6:20 PM, BeatTheFreak said:

Your school Isn't a residential area. Any major place of education is usually hooked up to really good internet by an ISP (It would be very odd if it wasn't). and ISP would make a fiber line to a school with thousands of students, but might not embark on wiring up an entire neighborhood.

As said there is probably a management system in place, any smart school admin would implement one. Restrict everyone to 100mbps, and then you can have 10 students have good connection. Without it, then one student could saturate the entire bandwidth and slow down everyone elses work

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

On 8/8/2016 at 3:14 PM, BeatTheFreak said:

never

Entire university campuses used to run on T1 lines, eventually upgrading to T3 before moving to OC3 and beyond.  The more users you have on a given network, the more that you can generally rely upon statistical multiplexing (ie: the concept that large numbers of users won't always be trying to hit the same resources!). 

The Verizon guy wasn't very well informed, and was just trying to sell you something.  I personally survive quite well on an 8mbit/sec connection and see absolutely no reason to upgrade. 

Most university campuses don't have sophisticated bandwidth management schemas, but most student use computers will only have, at best, Gig-E connections.  So they are somewhat limited in the traffic they can even push through the Gig-E.  Excess student bandwidth users in the dorms are most likely addressed through acceptable use policies, if the university's IT people even care.  Its been my experience that they generally just throw more bandwidth at the problem and only crack down if problems are being caused for "other" users.

On 9.8.2016 at 0:17 AM, themctipers said:

as a guy who works at a school. this is most likely true. unless the hardware is really really bad and limited

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Just now, paradigm249 said:

as a guy who works at a school. this is most likely true. unless the hardware is really really bad and limited

My school enjoys it's Mac G3 and G5 on leopard 

and they enjoy the core 2 duo macs on snow leopard.. 

Also that 5/50mb shared across 500 students or so. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

18 minutes ago, themctipers said:

My school enjoys it's Mac G3 and G5 on leopard 

and they enjoy the core 2 duo macs on snow leopard.. 

Also that 5/50mb shared across 500 students or so. 

this is enough to make a man cry...

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Just now, paradigm249 said:

this is enough to make a man cry...

Pentium 3 computers running Windows xp

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Pentium 3 computers running Windows xp

this brings me nostalgia

Spoiler

On 8/9/2016 at 1:14 AM, BeatTheFreak said:

Lots of people here give you bad answers, or incomplete answers.

There's no such thing as 50mbps for 3 devices and 100 mbps good for 7 devices. That's just something their marketing department made up to trick people into buying the more expensive 100 mbps plans. There is no correlation between the number of computers or devices (phones, tablets, internet connected TV or consoles) and the internet plan.

There is however a seed of truth behind what they say, and it's mostly related to how your internet connection will behave if you're using the internet connection heavily on several devices at the same time.  As an example, let's say that your mom watches Netflix in her room (which is streaming with 8-10 mbps), you're watching a Youtube video at 8-10 mbps and your brother is downloading some playstation/xbox game patches with 20 mbps ... the router or cable modem you have in your house will divide those 50 mbps as even as possible between the 3 devices and everyone will be happy. However, if you had more devices playing Youtube videos or Netflix, each device may get less than 8-10 mbps needed to keep the video stream play smoothly and then you'll be unhappy, Youtube or Netflix would start to stutter and buffer, if someone in your house is playing an online game they may have higher pings/lag  - that's partly why they recommend 100 mbps if there's more than 3 devices in your network.

It's up to you to determine if what you have in the house will behave like this, if you'll have often moments when most of your internet connected devices will use a lot of bandwidth. If it's going to happen extremely rarely, which is often the case, you would probably be fine with 50 mbps even if you have more than 3 devices in your home.

As for your first questions.

The internet connection goes into a modem or something which has several network jacks in the back (basically a network switch).  All computers that connect to the back of that router are treated equally. If you have a 100 mbps plan and one the computers connected to the router starts to download from a website that's fast and can send the data to you at 100 mbps, that computer will receive the data at 100 mbps.

If another computer in your house starts to download data from a website, the router is smart enough to give each computer an amount of the internet connection and both will get reasonable speeds. The first computer will not slow down all the other computers in your house, its download speed will probably go down a bit to make room for the download belonging to the second computer.

Your school's internet plan is most likely slightly different than an internet plan you'll be able to buy at home.

First of all, the plan is probably for 1gbps (1000 mbps) and not 100 mbps, but the internet cable goes into a router (a computer or a dedicated box like a switch) and then it's probably connected to a few network switches. 

The rooms in your school are probably each connected to those switches at a central location in your school using a 100 mbps connection. Therefore, if you're in a classroom and you download something, you get 100 mbps up to those switches, which are connected to the Internet using a 1000 mbps internet connection.

If two people in different classrooms would start to download something, each will have a 100 mbps connection to those switches, and then to the internet through that 1000 mbps connection.

If two people in the same classroom start to download something, they'll probably be limited by the connection between the classroom and the switches, which is probably 100 mbps.

Also, schools and universities often employ transparent proxy servers. Imagine a fast computer connected to those switches in the school with a 1000 mbps connection, so this computer can download from the internet with up to 1000 mbps and can send data to people in the school at up to 1000 mbps.

This fast computer just sits there and listens to what people access on the internet, the websites they visit and the downloads they start. When a download is started, this computer simply checks if that file was already downloaded by someone else and if that's the case it reads the file from the hard drive and sends it to the person requesting it instead of downloading the file from the remote website. If the computer doesn't find the file locally, it downloads it and at the same time it sends it to the computer that requested it inside the school, and next time someone wants the file it's stored on the computers' hard drive.

You as a regular user don't know if you downloaded the file from the remote website or from the computer inside your school, it can be completely transparent to you.

This is often done at LAN parties , see this article as an example.

You should also keep in mind that the internet plans of schools are often "special" - the schools receive IP addresses from a special range reserved for business or educational customers, and the data traffic is sometimes going through separate fiber optics cables, so the school's internet connection is less likely to be slowed down. A regular home user shares a fiber optic connection with lots of people in his neighborhood and depending on time of day and other people's behavior, the people around you may use a large amount of the bandwidth available on the fiber cable coming to your neighborhood.

Also, some schools and universities are part of various education networks like GÉANT or HEAnet in Ireland for example (you can even see the connections this network has with other networks and locations here if you're curious) and lots of others - basically what this means that Verizon may have a deal or understanding so that when your school tries to connect to some kinds of websites (like websites belonging to educational or research websites of other countries), instead of sending and receiving the data through regular fiber optics owned by Verizon (which may be saturated with data from other customers of theirs), the data is routed through some of these separate high speed networks which often have more available bandwidth.

For example, if you'd try to download a file from your home connection from somewhere remote, Verizon may only have a 10 gbps optical fiber going to that remote location and lots of people like your may download stuff from websites in that remote location, so you get poor speeds. From your school however, you may get higher speeds because the moment Verizon receives the requests in their center, it routes your requests through one of these private networks which may have 25-40 gbps of bandwidth to that remote location, and which is used by fewer people. So from school you'd get faster downloads.