Your first-time dual (or more) monitor experiences?

alca

So I'm finally getting a dual monitor added this Wednesday (can't wait).

I think it'll give me so much more space to work with, and ease my life a lot.

Currently have an 18.5" 1366x768, the new one is a 23" 1920x1080.

What are your experiences when you first got your multi-monitor set up? :)

I honestly couldn't live without dual monitor or equivalent. At work I have dual monitors and it just makes everything so much quicker and easier. At home I have a big 1440p monitor which is almost as good, as you can easily have two different windows split screen.

I love it, would never go back.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

Since I always had two windows open next to each other prior to getting my second display, the transition was instant and smooth. It felt a little like this on the inside:

0Q6wAtu0.png

(First I had one 22" 1080p screen and later got a 24" 1080p display)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I finnally could watch twitch streams and other stuff wile gaming, and freaking loved it, being stuck whit a single 15" laptop screen sucks now

Two 1080 screens

So fucking good, I can finally play games and chat at same time without shit tab/alt tab

when editing videos I now can just stretch premier pro, it looks disgusting but hey It works, and i like it :D

best thing about dual screens is playing rocket league split screen with your mate and you each have a screen :P  

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

dual-monitors_o_2054495.jpg

First time was my samsung tv (21") and my 2009 iMac. Became so proficient. Now I have trouble doing anything on a single monitor, unless its an ultrawide (wanted one since Phillips annouced one in 2009)

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, treeroy said:

best thing about dual screens is playing rocket league split screen with your mate and you each have a screen :P  

Holy shit you can do that?!

Also, once you go multi-monitor, you don't go back. Just make sure you are using Windows 10 if you are. Or if you aren't, google something called a "Window Manager". It will help tremendously.

3 minutes ago, Logarithm said:

Also, once you go multi-monitor, you don't go back. Just make sure you are using Windows 10 if you are. Or if you aren't, google something called a "Window Manager". It will help tremendously.

Never heard of multi-screening Rocket League, neither.

I'm on Windows 10.

Also a small question: is there a way to lock the cursor while playing games with a key bind? So that I can use my second monitor when I want (while I'm dead or similar) :D 

Just now, alca said:

Never heard of multi-screening Rocket League, neither.

I'm on Windows 10.

Also a small question: is there a way to lock the cursor while playing games with a key bind? So that I can use my second monitor while I'm dead or similar :D 

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "lock the cursor"?

4 minutes ago, Logarithm said:

A lot of games allow you to do this, but it usually requires editing files. I used to do something similar for l4d and portal.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

6 minutes ago, Logarithm said:

yeah it's nuts :P need to do have windows display the monitors above each other and modify the .ini files to change the resolution and display settings accordingly (e.g. 2x 1080p would be 1920x2160 res)... but yeah you can effectively split the game vertically and stretch the game to two monitors stacked on top of each other. So the top half of the game displays on one monitor and the bottom half displays on the other. there are couple of bugs when you replay a goal/match video, and navigating the menus is a pain, but gameplay wise it's perfect! :D 

Just now, Logarithm said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "lock the cursor"?

Lock it to one monitor, so that it can't go on the second monitor while I'm playing something (or just generally not being able to go on the second monitor)

I have 2 quad-monitor setups and both work fine on W7.

With W10... terrible, both setups just completely fart as soon as i want to extend my desktop to a 4th monitor :/

Just one of the many reasons i'm still on W7 :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

With W10... terrible, both setups just completely fart as soon as i want to extend my desktop to a 4th monitor :/

My thoughts:

With W10... terrible

Oh god, no

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

to a 4th monitor

Phew.

:D 

none im too poor to have even see one in person

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

2 minutes ago, alca said:

My thoughts:

Oh god, no

Phew.

:D 

Up to 3 monitors it's usually no problem so unless you have a stupid setup like i have it's fine.

And tbh 4 monitors is about right for me :D i tried 5 for a day and it felt a bit silly so i got rid of it again.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Which window manager do you use?

6 minutes ago, Logarithm said:

Which window manager do you use?

Umm i'm perfectly fine with what stock W7 offers me...

I have tried displayfusion but i don't really need its functions.

It's sometimes annoying enough the stock aero stuff isn't working on every system :D

Umm i'm perfectly fine with what stock W7 offers me...

I have tried displayfusion but i don't really need its functions.

It's sometimes annoying enough the stock aero stuff isn't working on every system :D

Really? Okay. Did not expect that.

You know, now that I think about it, with that many monitors, proper window tiling isn't really necessary, is it?

Just now, Logarithm said:

Really? Okay. Did not expect that.

You know, now that I think about it, with that many monitors, proper window tiling isn't really necessary, is it?

Not really, Using win key + left or right arrow usually does the trick :)

That's the aero shortcut to put the selected window to the left half or right half of the screen it is on. 

I can't stand using a PC that doesn't have a multi monitor setup. Rockin 3 displays myself.

Lmao, my first experience with dual monitors was back when I was like 10. I plugged two gigantic CRTS into some old dell out of curiosity and my mind was blown. DUAL MSPAINTS!!!!!!!!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

9 hours ago, alca said:

Lock it to one monitor, so that it can't go on the second monitor while I'm playing something (or just generally not being able to go on the second monitor)

All games that arent coded by incompetent doorknobs should do basicly just that when running in borderless windowed mode.

If necessary (like for shooters where the mouse flails around) the game will 'grab' the cursor, and let go of it again in specific menus.

My favourite way of fishing my cursor out a grab is steam overlay.