Am I asking for too much?!?!!!???

BDubTulsa

Hey there all!

First off, I need to give a big thank you to all of you that gave me valuable advice on my previous topic concerning a budget, future upgradable gaming rig.

That said, I've moved the goal post, and I'm trying to see if this new concept in my mind's eye is even really doable. So, I'm wondering if you could all chime in on this, and let me know what you think.

I loved watching the video Linus did on his ultimate comfort gaming room. I'm currently gaming on both an Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and I'd really like to switch out to just having a gaming/htpc to reside in the living room.

So, I'd like to have a case solution optimized to use as little space as possible. I think I'll only have a SSD initially, but could potentially add a massive HDD for movies, etc. in the future. I'm thinking that I'm still going with the RX 480 8GB, and want to have the option to run a second RX 480 if necessary later..(no sure just how likely this will be, however). I'm not sure that I need an optical drive, as I don't initially plan to rip BlueRays up front, and I'm not sure there exists a Mini ITX case that would allow me to run one in the first place.

All of that out there, just how small a motherboard do you think I can get away with? I think I've pretty much ruled out a Mini ITX, but I know that a full ATX or XL-ATX is a last resort, because I really don't want to have to stand a mid- or full-sized tower NEXT to my tv stand.

So, am I asking for too much in one machine? Which, if any, of my constraints will have to go?

Well, first how much money are you going to use for your PC?

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

You need matx if you want the have a second slot to add another 480.

This is pretty much the best MATX case there is http://www.kimeraindustries.com/cerberus#cerberus-hero

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's going to be cheaper and probably easier to do the build around a basic mid tower case. Do you really need mitx for the space or do you just wanna be fancy?

Looks like you are probably going to be doing couch gaming, can't you just have a tower on the floor next to the TV?

I've got a Corsair Obsidian 350D which is Micro-ATX and I'm looking for $50 shipped if you're interested. 

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

20 hours ago, ForsakenLive said:

It's going to be cheaper and probably easier to do the build around a basic mid tower case. Do you really need mitx for the space or do you just wanna be fancy?

Looks like you are probably going to be doing couch gaming, can't you just have a tower on the floor next to the TV?

Nope. I'm not trying to be fancy. I'm here to get your opinion. I'd really like to avoid a tower on the floor if at all possible. I'm not set on the board, either. Mini ITX is just small, so that's where I started looking. If I can use a larger board, but still stick to a fairly small case and get everything to fit, great!

What are your thoughts on MATX?

Unless you're doing a lot of rendering or other cpu intensive tasks that can take advantage of all the cores and threads you would be better off going with the Skylake 6700K and a Z170 motherboard instead of the 5820K.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

35 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Unless you're doing a lot of rendering or other cpu intensive tasks that can take advantage of all the cores and threads you would be better off going with the Skylake 6700K and a Z170 motherboard instead of the 5820K.

Very good point, sir. What are your thoughts on this then?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3K3K4C

3 minutes ago, BDubTulsa said:

Very good point, sir. What are your thoughts on this then?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3K3K4C

Looks solid to me, hopefully a few others can chime in as well in case I missed something.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: