Good AND Cheap PSU

Vegetable

Hi all. Just looking to replace my sketchy ass Corsair TX850W. The thing is straight from the stone age (2008.) Works fine, just not the BEST PSU ever made, and I just want to upgrade. Need something that's capable of running GTX 970 SLI/4790k (all of that overclocked.) Plan to pickup another 970 dirt cheap sometime here soon and just want to ensure everything goes right. I'd prefer semi/fully modular if possible. Budget is like $75 usd. Thanks.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

2 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Hi all. Just looking to replace my sketchy ass Corsair TX850W. The thing is straight from the stone age (2008.) Works fine, just not the BEST PSU ever made, and I just want to upgrade. Need something that's capable of running GTX 970 SLI/4790k (all of that overclocked.) Plan to pickup another 970 dirt cheap sometime here soon and just want to ensure everything goes right. I'd prefer semi/fully modular if possible. Budget is like $75 usd. Thanks.

Hmm, 75 USD is a little low for an SLI 970 capable PSU. I'd say an EVGA 750B2 would be a good choice but it's like $5 out of your price range everywhere. Often it gets down to 70 dollars.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

I looked at that. Is it a quality PSU? I know the 500B isn't great, so is the B2 a different series or what?

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

Re-reading your OP, I just realized you had more than one 970. I was going to suggest this...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zNK7YJ/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

Though that might not be enough for an SLI set up.

And actually the 500B isn't terrible. It's not as good as Seasonic Safesonic.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Re-reading your OP, I just realized you had more than one 970. I was going to suggest this...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zNK7YJ/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

Though that might not be enough for an SLI set up.

And actually the 500B isn't terrible. It's not as good as Seasonic Safesonic.

500w definitely isn't enough for 2 Gtx 970's and a 4790k, let alone overclocking. I'm a PSU noob and I know that much. 

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Ok, just found out about the BQ series. I'm assuming it's the bronze equivalent to the GQ series. Good quality, good price. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways I can get an 850BQ for $70, which is just a lot of headroom. Is that a good buy or no?

Just now, Vegetable said:

500w definitely isn't enough for 2 Gtx 970's and a 4790k, let alone overclocking. I'm a PSU noob and I know that much. 

I don't have much experience with PSUs either since I've not really worked with desktops and I've not yet built a PC. Though @STRMfrmXMN has been pretty helpful, and especially his PSU whitelist which is in his sig.

5 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

I looked at that. Is it a quality PSU? I know the 500B isn't great, so is the B2 a different series or what?

The 500B is a HEC design, whereas the B2 is made by SuperFlower (one of the best power supply OEMs alongside Seasonic). The two are very different in terms of build quality, component selection, warranty etc.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Ok, just found out about the BQ series. I'm assuming it's the bronze equivalent to the GQ series. Good quality, good price. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways I can get an 850BQ for $70, which is just a lot of headroom. Is that a good buy or no?

It's made by HEC and literally nothing is known about it by anybody except that it's quiet. The B2 is a safer buy at this time.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, wcreek said:

I don't have much experience with PSUs either since I've not really worked with desktops and I've not yet built a PC. Though @STRMfrmXMN has been pretty helpful, and especially his PSU whitelist which is in his sig.

It's fine lol. Basically I know just my SINGLE 970 can pull 200w+ with my overclocks and stuff, so two of them is 400w, then my 4790k overclocked (call it 100w), so that 500B wouldn't cut it.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

It's made by HEC and literally nothing is known about it by anybody except that it's quiet. The B2 is a safer buy at this time.

but the BQ. what about the BQ lad.

3 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

It's a HEC unit. I'm not one to judge but I'm guessing it's a subpar unit alongside the EVGA 500/600B series.

Spoiler

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Did you read my comment and quote?

my bad misread. totally thought u were talking about the 500b.

It's a HEC unit. I'm not one to judge by I'm guessing it's a subpar unit alongside the EVGA 500/600B series.

ouch okei nevermind.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Did you read my comment and quote?

anywho so do you think a 750B2 can safely power an overclocked 4790k/970 sli system?

anywho so do you think a 750B2 can safely power an overclocked 4790k/970 sli system?

Easily. I haven't seen any GTX 970 SLI builds consume more than 550W.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

EVGA should add another B to the BQ line.

lmao "Introducing the new power supply lineup from EVGA. Fully non-modular ACTION PACKED OVERHEATING, FULLY READY TO MAKE YOUR NEXT BBQ A HIT FOR ALL THE NEIGHBORHOOD WHITE FAMILIES."

1500w BBQ (80+ bronze efficiency, fan not included, OEM by AMD)

fair enough. will keep it in mind. thanks lad

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Well having a bit of overhead isn't a bad idea, a 650W PSU would be fine and probably a little cheaper.