Why am I getting less hours at work?

sissj

I know this is kinda the wrong forum but here we go. I'm 16 and have been working in retail for a month now, at first I was getting 30 hours a week, but from last week I keep getting less and less hours and I just found out I'm only doing 10 hours next week, (was originally doing 30) I asked my boss if I could have more but she just told me no. I need the hours to get money for my college course and summer is the only opportunity for me. Is my boss trying to drop hints that I should leave or that I'm not doing good enough? 

Please help me guys, do you have any ideas?

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Either it's a hint or they simply don't need as many people. You need the money, but they don't want to pay for people that end up not being needed.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Start looking for a new job.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

1 hour ago, sissj said:

I know this is kinda the wrong forum but here we go. I'm 16 and have been working in retail for a month now, at first I was getting 30 hours a week, but from last week I keep getting less and less hours and I just found out I'm only doing 10 hours next week, (was originally doing 30) I asked my boss if I could have more but she just told me no. I need the hours to get money for my college course and summer is the only opportunity for me. Is my boss trying to drop hints that I should leave or that I'm not doing good enough? 

Could be a number of reasons:

1. They want you to quit

2. Sales are down, and they don't need you

3. Some other reason

Why don't you simply ask your boss if there is a reason why you can't have more hours?

When you were hired, was there any expectation that 30 hours would be a regular thing?

I would start looking for another job - either one that has guaranteed hours, or a second job to supplement your income.

But frankly, it's retail. They'll change your hours all over the place, all the time, with little to no explanation.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Could be a number of reasons:

1. They want you to quit

2. Sales are down, and they don't need you

3. Some other reason

Why don't you simply ask your boss if there is a reason why you can't have more hours?

When you were hired, was there any expectation that 30 hours would be a regular thing?

I would start looking for another job - either one that has guaranteed hours, or a second job to supplement your income.

But frankly, it's retail. They'll change your hours all over the place, all the time, with little to no explanation.

I dont think sales are down

I dont want to ask my boss because it may 'twist the sword' if you know what I mean and its really easy to piss of my boss (she is very passive aggressive so she will act like everything is fine but she is pissed inside) My original hours that were listed was 4 but I said I need as many hours as possible and I got more but now she is drastically reducing them without saying why. Also, my co-workers are pretty much like me and also screw about but they dont face consequences. Am I just being paranoid that its a plot to make me leave on my own accord? And do you think its maybe just a test and she is pissed at my performance because its my probation period?

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Do you work with quite a few older people? If so, that might be the case. Could feel like the older people needs the hours more. It isn't fair but it happened to me when I worked retail.

Just now, valhalen said:

Do you work with quite a few older people? If so, that might be the case. Could feel like the older people needs the hours more. It isn't fair but it happened to me when I worked retail.

Well im 16 and other other people I work with are in their 20's/30's and 40's

Just now, sissj said:

I dont think sales are down

I dont want to ask my boss because it may 'twist the sword' if you know what I mean and its really easy to piss of my boss (she is very passive aggressive so she will act like everything is fine but she is pissed inside) My original hours that were listed was 4 but I said I need as many hours as possible and I got more but now she is drastically reducing them without saying why. Also, my co-workers are pretty much like me and also screw about but they dont face consequences. Am I just being paranoid that its a plot to make me leave on my own accord? And do you think its maybe just a test and she is pissed at my performance because its my probation period?

Well, for starters, I would stop screwing around - even if the other employees do it. It's just one more excuse to get rid of you.

I don't know how your labour laws work, but in Ontario, an employer can fire you within 90 days with zero notice, zero reason. You can, by extension, also quit within 90 days with zero notice, zero reason.

So if your boss is gonna fire you, she's gonna fire you. Just ask. And if she fires you, then move on to something else.

1 minute ago, sissj said:

Well, those people have more responsibilities then you do. They'll have rent, perhaps a car or a mortgage, perhaps a family. It's very common for the boss to favour older people who have financial commitments. You're young, and therefore, you're seen as not "needing" the job as much.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, sissj said:

That's what I was getting at, none-the-less retail isn't a very sturdy for hours, constantly changing. I'd look into either something else or try seeing if some of the others need some days off and offer to work for them, if your supervisor allows that of course.

They either don't need as many people because it's slow, or they are trying to get you to quit.  Like everyone else said, leave.

If you are in the US, they can't fire you without writing you up for the same thing three times.  Since (for sake of argument) they can't pin anything on you, they are trying to get you to quit.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, sissj said:

I worked in Retail for 2 year. Summer time is a slow time, at least at Sam's Club it was. Things pick up in August and run good till about January. After that, it can get a little slow. Most businesses keep track of sales and look at last year for an idea of how much labor they need. Of course your boss might fear you quiting when school starts, so they dont want to invest a lot of time in to you. Its hard to say. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

They either don't need as many people because it's slow, or they are trying to get you to quit.  Like everyone else said, leave.

If you are in the US, they can't fire you without writing you up for the same thing three times.  Since (for sake of argument) they can't pin anything on you, they are trying to get you to quit.

Do you have a source for that? Many businesses have an internal policy that uses the "three strikes" system, but if he's a new hire, I would not be surprised if there was a "probationary" period that allowed the business to fire him with zero notice, for no reason, with no consequences.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Do you have a source for that? Many businesses have an internal policy that uses the "three strikes" system, but if he's a new hire, I would not be surprised if there was a "probationary" period that allowed the business to fire him with zero notice, for no reason, with no consequences.

In Michgian you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. Thats fact. Although if your fired for bullshit you are able to collect unemployment. 

At that age, if they're pulling back your hours, I would believe it's related to your performance in the work place.  I experienced the same thing, it was a subtle hint to either become more valuable to the company or leave.  At the time I left as I didn't need a job, but the right choice would have been to improve my work ethic.

People who make themselves valuable to the company get hours.  You might be just useful enough to keep around for overflow.  

53 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I was a group manager at my old job, and I had a troublesome employee, so I called HR to see if it was company policy or law.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Bullshit. Three strikes system is policy, not law.

4 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I was a group manager at my old job, and I had a troublesome employee, so I called HR to see if it was company policy or law.

And according to your HR, it was law? It must be a local North Dakotan law then. Or, more likely, that troublesome employee was simply past the probationary period.

Obviously labour laws differ everywhere. Here in Canada, there are some very basic Federal guidelines, but for the most part, it's up to each province to decide the specifics (Though they all more or less mirror each other).

The basic rule here in Ontario is that within 90 days, this is called the Probationary period. You can quit. They can fire you. For no reason, no explanation. The reason behind this law is that during the first 90 days, you're learning the job and they're still teaching you. If they deem that it was a mistake to hire you, and you're not a good fit for the company (Eg: You got hired as a retail sales associate, but you hate selling stuff to people and won't push for sales), then legally they can fire you without worrying about it.

Conversely, you can quit without giving notice, in case you decide you hate the job, etc.

With that in mind, even during the probationary period, there are strict human rights laws in effect at all times. They cannot fire you over discrimination, such as gender, age (unless you lied on your resume and legally need to be 18+, for legal or insurance reasons, or you're literally so old you're about to die and can't physically do the work anymore, etc), and so on.

After 90 days, they need probable cause to fire you. For each business, the actual metric for probable cause is different. Some use the three strike system, others don't. But if they fire you for poor performance, and there's no documentation saying your performance was poor, and that they gave you an opportunity to improve, then you can apply for Wrongful Dismissal through the Workplace Board, and if you win the inquiry, you basically get paid a severance package. You can also sue them in court, of course, but that's not common because of the obvious associated costs with going to court.

Says he needs money, has a $1500+ setup :P 

But in all seriousness, how are you with customers? Because you're 16, you're going to be on a shorter leash by just meeting the legal age to work. Even the slightest problem could land you on the hot plate. Businesses are taking a risk by hiring you since you have no prior experience. So fooling around, even if it's as much as every one else, looks really bad on you.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

13 hours ago, sissj said:

I dont want to ask my boss because it may 'twist the sword' if you know what I mean and its really easy to piss of my boss

You won't get anywhere in life by being such a mouse. The world owes you absolutely nothing at all and people will not hesitate to walk all over you if they think that they can. Grow a spine and stand up for yourself.

13 hours ago, sissj said:

Also, my co-workers are pretty much like me and also screw about but they dont face consequences.

The very fact that you feel motivated to 'screw around' as you say indicates that you are not completely happy with this kind of work in any event.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

dunno properly well it depends if your 

1 casual/part time or what ever your min hours are( most likely this is the case)

2 the store employees more people(its a possibility)

3 the place your working is loosing money(its a possibility)

4 they want to save money(its a possibility)

5 complaints against you from consumers( not likely as they will be upfront to you if you do)

6 how experience you are too a more experience co worker which will most likey get more shifts(its a most likely possibility as  your 16)

7  you cost too much(since your 16 highly unlikely) 

8 since your worked there for a month they were properly most likely evaluating your performance (its a possibility)

maybe if you explain your situation she might understand or at least ask her why our getting less hours. i'll say give it time your only worked there for a month new comer ~70% of the time wont get that many hours.

as for me im part time so my min hours is 10. I avg about 20 hours, and my highest is 38 hours

lives on

BAKABT

6 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Says he needs money, has a $1500+ setup :P 

But in all seriousness, how are you with customers? Because you're 16, you're going to be on a shorter leash by just meeting the legal age to work. Even the slightest problem could land you on the hot plate. Businesses are taking a risk by hiring you since you have no prior experience. So fooling around, even if it's as much as every one else, looks really bad on you.

Umm, who says I paid for it? Do you know my life, Maybe you don't know that my parents cant pay anything anymore? 

I know it was meant as a funny post but please think before you speak because you sound quite insensitive.

But, I agree with the rest of your post.

20 hours ago, sissj said:

Why are you paying for your college course? Your 16, unless you are a genius and is already enrolled in college. The school should provide you with college courses. It's called college now, where high school students can take college classes. And when complete, depending in the college you want to go to. They may accept your college credits. 

Your boss isn't a boss, she is a employee like everyone else. She can get fired too by her boss. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Why are you paying for your college course?

I wondered the same thing. Im glad to see that the OP wants a college education. Doesn't the UK offer some sort of assistance like the US government does? I get 2 grants and student loans. Granted I have to pay that shit back with interest. 

20 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I wondered the same thing. Im glad to see that the OP wants a college education. Doesn't the UK offer some sort of assistance like the US government does? I get 2 grants and student loans. Granted I have to pay that shit back with interest. 

College is free but you still have to pay for the equipment.

19 minutes ago, sissj said:

College is free but you still have to pay for the equipment.

Better than paying the $1200 I have to pay per class on top of books, gas and other fees.