Keep your office/room cool in the summer!

Busconian
Go to solution Solved by Busconian,
4 minutes ago, Urishima said:

It's a bad idea even if you don't have AC.

Lets imagine a summer like last year in Europe, where we had insane temperatures for a few days, around 40° C. You want to keep those windows closed until the outside air has cooled down, when it's late in the evening.

You want to air the room once in the morning, and then again in the evening. You want to keep them closed during the day, because even if it is hot inside, trust me, it's hotter outside.

Unless you are an insane person like me, and decide that it's the perfect time to bake a cake...

I put very little thought into this. I myself live am in a area where it is mostly hotter inside the work space after a long day than outside..... Kinda running on 4 hours of sleep ;_; and been up for about 16 hours now.

I don't know how many people thought of this but I have never seen people put there PC near a open window? If you crack the window open and put your PCs exhaust aimed as close as you can get to the open window, all that hot air won't just be sitting in your room increasing the ambient temperature. 

For a better visual. 

Red arrow = exhaust

Blue arrow = intake

You would most likely want to have a filter for the window.

Untitled-1.jpg

That would be a bad idea if your house has an air conditioning unit.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

1 minute ago, Gale said:

True. But I personally do not have one, this method is for people that do not have the resource. It can be quite expensive and this is more of the budget side of things.

8 minutes ago, Gale said:

Lets imagine a summer like last year in Europe, where we had insane temperatures for a few days, around 40° C. You want to keep those windows closed until the outside air has cooled down, when it's late in the evening.

You want to air the room once in the morning, and then again in the evening. You want to keep them closed during the day, because even if it is hot inside, trust me, it's hotter outside.

Unless you are an insane person like me, and decide that it's the perfect time to bake a cake...

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

Just now, Urishima said:

Kinda. If you live in a hot and humid place, then yes, it is a bad idea even without AC. If your area is hot but dry, it wouldn't be as bad.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Just now, Gale said:

Kinda. If you live in a hot and humid place, then yes, it is a bad idea even without AC. If your area is hot but dry, it wouldn't be as bad.

Yeah, true. The air around here is quite humid, because we are surrounded by wetlands. Fun times...

4 minutes ago, Urishima said:

I put very little thought into this. I myself live am in a area where it is mostly hotter inside the work space after a long day than outside..... Kinda running on 4 hours of sleep ;_; and been up for about 16 hours now.

I would

but I have hayfever so fuck that :D

Also, many rooms have annoying places for windows where you cannot put your desk

If its a bit stuffy opening the windows does help a little

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You could do something like this: https://hardforum.com/threads/my-pc-hot-air-exhaust-project-vent-hot-air-outside-the-room.1642510/

That way your PC's heat is exhausting out of the room and you're keeping your window closed/sealed except for the exhaust exit. Just make sure you seal up the opening in the window and use something to reflect the sun so the heat stays outside.

I was going to do something like that because of how hot my office got in the summer here in Florida but when our AC died a few months back we bough window AC units until it got fixed, now that it's fixed I have 2 spare window units so I installed one in my office and I turn it on when my desktop is powered on for more than an hour or so.

-KuJoe

19 minutes ago, Urishima said:

Clearly, the most important thing here is the little mirror.

What do you mean?

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

What do you mean?

Fapping arrestor ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

7 minutes ago, Urishima said:

Fapping arrestor ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm still lost.

I searched Google for this term but it only showed me that same thread. Is there a meme I'm missing or something? Should I not have mirrors on my monitors?

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, Urishima said:

I don't know about that... Now, I'm the kind of person who prefers darkness, like, almost to an extreme. I keep all of the blinds in my house shut 24/7, I even have the windows and doors in my bedroom fully blacked out so when I close the door I am immediately dropped into complete darkness.

Now, that being the case, during the day I have no doors or windows open to say the least; but I also live in freaking southern california... and its freaking hot during the day... especially in the summer. I also don't have working AC because my damn house is 60 years old.

That being the case, I can say from experience that being cooped up in a house with no ventilation to speak of during summer while running gaming and work rigs can easily get temps 20 degrees above the outside temps. I've measured my workroom getting into the 115 degree area easily not too long ago when the external temperature was only high 80s, which to my dismay forced me into opening a couple windows and using fans to draw in some fresh air. my precious darkness has been gone ever since. :(

What you said might work, if you live in a house with decent insulation, or have a computer that doesn't put out a lot of heat; but where I come from especially a lot of the places have like 0 insulation. Our houses heat up like a solar oven, just soaking up those damn solar death rays. you gotta vent the place out or you'll just die in fire.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

14 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I'm still lost.

I searched Google for this term but it only showed me that same thread. Is there a meme I'm missing or something? Should I not have mirrors on my monitors?

He doesn't want to be snuck up on while he's jerkin' his gherkin. That's why the mirrors are there.

4 minutes ago, Atmos said:

What you said might work, if you live in a house with decent insulation, or have a computer that doesn't put out a lot of heat; but where I come from especially a lot of the places have like 0 insulation. Our houses heat up like a solar oven, just soaking up those damn solar death rays.

Well, I don't think you can build a house without insulation here in Germany. So that's the position I am coming from.

Just now, Urishima said:

Well, I don't think you can build a house without insulation here in Germany. So that's the position I am coming from.

Well, I'm not saying we don't have insulation down here, we do, just not nearly what you find elsewhere.

In germany, if I'm not mistaken, most houses are externally brick or concrete, built to withstand the weather and aging. Where as here in the US, most houses are built almost entirely of wood and drywall, with at most only around 4-5 inches of void between the interior paneling and exterior wall. Insulation is usually at least here in socal, only in roofs. it makes the houses easy to build, and flexible enough to withstand the yearly earthquakes; however it comes at the downside of not having any real ability to not turn into ovens whenever its around high noon.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Tower fan from amazon works and isn't too expensive.

Linus is my fetish.

Recently, like in the last couple days, it's been like 83-86°F and 72-75% humidity in the house, and 95-105+°F and 20-25% humidity outside. Our house doesn't have A/C, and we're in the eastern suburbs of San Diego, CA area.  It's by FAR a LOT more comfortable being outside!

Also I think my PC might contribute to the heat a little, even though my i7-4790K is running only at stock.  I hope when I get a GTX 1070 (unless I change again and go for the 1060) it doesn't contribute too much to the heat.  Any ideas on that front?  (My case is the Rosewill Thor V2, with the side panel fan disconnected due to insufficient 4-pin mobo headers.  PSU is the Corsair AX760.)