Can you mix ram?

Hi guys i have 8GB DDr3 HyperX Ram. Can i but another 8 GB that is DDR3 but is not the same brand speed price and so on will it not work or not be better? 

1 minute ago, R3DOPS said:

Hi guys i have 8GB DDr3 HyperX Ram. Can i but another 8 GB that is DDR3 but is not the same brand speed price and so on will it not work or not be better? 

im pretty sure you can, but i think it runs at whichever ram has the lower clock speed

Depends if your motherboard will support it or not 

2 minutes ago, R3DOPS said:

Yes. It will just run at the lower frequency/timings, etc., of the two. If it does cause any instability issues, it's easy enough to just remove one of the sticks.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, R3DOPS said:

Hi guys i have 8GB DDr3 HyperX Ram. Can i but another 8 GB that is DDR but is not the same brand speed price and so on will it not work or not be better? 

asus z97a 3.1

2 minutes ago, R3DOPS said:

It's not guaranteed to work, but it most likely will work. Just remember, your motherboard will default to the lowest speeds/higher latencies of the sticks, so it's better to get RAm that is the same specs or better.

1 minute ago, R3DOPS said:

It's touch and go with mixing RAM at times, it should default to the lowest setting possible of the two kits but it's never an absolute guarantee that it will be stable by mixing kits. In some rare cases I've seen two kits of the same brand, size, and speed not work with each other but at other two completely different ones work flawlessly. 

4 minutes ago, R3DOPS said:

It will run fine, just at the your lowest speed's Ram speed. For example you have 1 1600Mhz Ram and 1 2133Mhz Ram, both of them will run at 1600Mhz. If you have 1 1333Mhz and 1 1600Mhz both will run at 1333Mhz. 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

3 minutes ago, R3DOPS said:

Its better to have the sticks identical, but you really only have problems mixing sticks of RAM when its high and low density being mixed together, and with RAM on old (pre 2000) motherboards. I've had no problems mixing 4 different DDR3 sticks with this computer, 4 different DDR2 sticks on my older computer, and 4 different SDRAM sticks on my Abit VP6 (as in 32MB PC66, 64MB PC100, 128MB PC133 and 512MB PC133-all ran at 66MHz though)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL