host own server

yesman

hi everyone is there away to host your own server at home for game and sell slots

If you're willing to shell out the big bucks for a business class ISP line then yes, otherwise no as almost all ISPs forbid the hosting of servers on home lines.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

sure, just build a server(if you dont already have one), portforward to it and the set up some game servers on it. your ISP might not like it tho so check with them first. also to sell slotts or whatever it is you are doing you will need a website and some software to do that for you if you dont want it to be a huge pain

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yes if you have an old PC you can do it with the help of software I'm not sure if it's easy and I don't know anything more but I heard that it works 

Home hosting for other people tends to suck pretty bad unless if you have really good internet, and an investment of over £1000. The problem is also finding a target market. No one will buy a game server off some random guy that home hosts, they will go to the bigger companies with guaranteed over 99% uptime.

Well i do host servers for CS 1.6

1.You need beastly internet speed,I have 5mb's of download speed thru the torrent (thats how i compare dont judge) and find that little for 10 people playing Clan War in CS 1.6 is solid yet its a old game

2.You need the game's server program,the CS series uses HLDS to host servers

3.You need to portforward

NOTE : If you plan on being a host machine you need to have a custom gamepanel for your users and some good Anti-DDoS protection + a REALLY beffy PC

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you're willing to shell out the big bucks for a business class ISP line then yes, otherwise no as almost all ISPs forbid the hosting of servers on home lines.

?

You can host game servers on home internet connections.

The only issue is that home internet connections are awful and would cause bad fps in some games and lag.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

?

You can host game servers on home internet connections.

The only issue is that home internet connections are awful and would cause bad fps in some games and lag.

You can host servers yes but almost all of the time if you look at the fine print you will see something about not being allowed to host servers. Most of the time ISPs don't actually care since it's a few friends or something but if you start trying to host servers for 100s of people on a residential they will start to care.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Game servers are a huge target for DDOS attacks so don't bother. Then again if you don't have working internet at home you can't hear your clients complaining.

-KuJoe

i think i wont have a lot of people for it start out small then work my way up and i think my internet would be fine am on a 200mbps 

30 minutes ago, yesman said:

at home for game and sell slots

that's a recipe for disaster.

if you insist on doing anything public, rent a box at a datacenter.

27 minutes ago, Lurick said:

not rogers

i fucking ran a webserver, mcserver, terraria and gmod off of a "residential line" 

well, it was private but..

6 minutes ago, yesman said:

i think i wont have a lot of people for it start out small then work my way up and i think my internet would be fine am on a 200mbps 

you need good upload

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

not rogers

i fucking ran a webserver, mcserver, terraria and gmod off of a "residential line" 

well, it was private but..

you need good upload

my upload it reaching 30 is that any good for it 

Just now, yesman said:

probably

but dont host your own server on your line

ddos man, it happens.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

It's real easy to host your server. The problem is ISP. You need a solid upload speed aswell as download but most home packages don't offer crazy good uploads speeds and if they do it's expensive.

1 minute ago, theanimun said:

I see alot of people saying ISPs not liking it much, but dont forget the power it takes to have it running 24/7

Who cares about power? 500watts max we're talking about here

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

probably

but dont host your own server on your line

ddos man, it happens.

3 minutes ago, yesman said:

No that is really not optimal. Look at at least 60+ .

4 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

No that is really not optimal. Look at at least 60+ .

Depends on what you're running and How many people

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

but thats only per hour, thats 12kilowatts per day for a single machine

i can get 1gb speed where i am if that helps

1 hour ago, yesman said:

1gbs upload? You sure? That's real good if it is.

1 hour ago, yesman said:

It doesn't. What kind of SLA will you offer? What will you do if your internet goes out for 12 hours? What about if your power goes out for 12 hours? What happens if somebody breaks into your house and takes your server and client's data? What is your monthly budget for this business? There are plenty of options for you out there to rent a server or VPS in a data center with DDOS protection that offers much better redundancy (both hardware, power, and network) and security.

-KuJoe

Do not do it...

Your ISP most likely does not allow it on your home line

You need to pay for internet, power, redundancy, cooling, supoport/customer service and backup hardware when something fails, so all that needs to be calculated into your price.

You will most likely be ddos'ed when some angry anti-social kid loses a game or something

It is in most cases not worth the hazzle.

Hosting something for close friends for free or allow donations, no problem..

Taking money for a services becomes a problem, if you are not able to keep that service running (people might become dissatisfied and inquire their money back for the service they did not get, thus leaving you with no income and all the expenses)

Hosting a server in a rented rack space in a datacenter that has all the monitoring and infrastructure you need, is a better solution.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

you need good upload

you need good protection. that's more important that bitrate at a certain point.

and with a home connection it's not rare to see one "unhappy custommer" take down the entire neighborhood.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

you need good protection. that's more important that bitrate at a certain point.

and with a home connection it's not rare to see one "unhappy custommer" take down the entire neighborhood.

i can get 1gb conectin in uk and that for big companys has