Should I get an SSD Upgrade?

Hi all!

I've been using a Lenovo Y50-70 for about 3 months.
Got it used... I've heard the HDD that comes in this thing is flaky but I just wanted to see what others experiences were.

I use a lot of Chrome windows and after I sleep and then wake up the system, the system SERIOUSLY CHUGS pulling up the content in those Windows. RAM usually sits around 6GB.

Will getting an SSD fix my issues with this laptop specifically? Or do you think upgrading to 16GB RAM is more worthwhile?
What about a WD Black laptop HDD?

I would really value hearing about anyone's experiences with this laptop specifically in addition to your personal opinions.

-Matt

is your hdd 5400rpm ? or 7200rpm?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

An ssd will help a lot will load times from sleep/hibernation states.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Unless you have literally zero spare cash, get an SSD immediately. I recommend OCZ Trion for budget, Samsung 850 EVO for slightly more money.

A SSD makes a world of difference and you should get one if you can. It will help with waking up the system faster from sleep and with overall responsiveness.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I found that moving from a 5400rpm HDD to a hyperx SSD in my desktop fixed so many problems related to speed.

Windows loads in seconds, nowhere near as much lag loading webpages and such.

I edit my posts a lot.

3 minutes ago, Lumaterian said:

Unless you have literally zero spare cash, get an SSD immediately. I recommend OCZ Trion for budget, Samsung 850 EVO for slightly more money.

Here's the thing though, I have a similar laptop with similar specs, using 6 GB of RAM out of 8 is perfectly normal because chrome has hardware acceleration. It's intentionally using more RAM than it needs to for caching so things load faster and feel more responsive. Upgrading RAM will not likely give any noticeable performance. Upgrading to an SSD is a big improvement. However, don't get any OCZ stuff, they were in bankruptcy once and sold out mostly cause their products are unreliable after a couple years or so. Their drives are rated for like 60TB of write per 250 GB. That means you can write to it about 240 times before it starts to die. The hyper X however, is rated for 641 TB. That's like 2500+ writes before it starts to fail. That's why you should go for an SSD as well as a good one. Not that OCZ crap

Blue screens eh? Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

8 hours ago, mok said:

is your hdd 5400rpm ? or 7200rpm?

Its an SSHD. I have that laptop. Yes he needs an SSD. I cant afford one right now, so Im stuck using the slow ass SSHD. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.