x99 Asus Rampage V Extreme 5930k vs 6700k Asus ROG VIII Ranger

Hi im really new in building computer and my friend suggested me this 2 and im curious which is better for gaming and Using Virtual machines

x99 Asus Rampage V Extreme 5930k or 6700k Asus ROG VIII Ranger

please help.. 

The 

x99 Asus Rampage V Extreme 5930k

But note it will be more expensive

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

• Gaming: 6700k
  • VMing: 5820k or 5960x. Extremely unlikely that you'd actually need the extra lanes from a 5930k.

Take your pick as to what's more important for you.

Hm?

What is it?

Oh yeah, that's right. The mobo. I almost forgot about it, yeah... either one is probably a lot more expensive that you'd ever make use of. We can suggest cheaper options once you've decided on the CPU; for now, though, just be happy with a "neither" answer.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

first off, unless you are runing a virtual os while gameing use a cheeper MB but the 5820K is a great CPU if you do loads of workloads like running VM's

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

@Imakuni i heard that 5820k is the same as 5930k but 5930k have more pcie lane thats what i heard

@samiscool51 yes i am planning to run virtual OS while gaming i forgot to put that

k..... (haha see what i did there) the 5820k would be better if you don't need the extra pcie lanes's but if you plan on running loads if pcie componets then the 5830k is your better bet

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

@samiscool51 you meant 5930k right?? and just wondering is the PCIE lanes are the only thing that 5930k better than 5820k?? is it not faster without OCing it? does it work the same load with Multiple Virtual OS while gaming

and i saw you are from colorado cool i am living im colorado too ^^

8 hours ago, Kardel81 said:

@samiscool51 you meant 5930k right?? and just wondering is the PCIE lanes are the only thing that 5930k better than 5820k?? is it not faster without OCing it? does it work the same load with Multiple Virtual OS while gaming

and i saw you are from colorado cool i am living im colorado too ^^

The 5930k isnt worth the premium over the 5820k, unless your running 3 way SLI for whatever reason

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Depends allot on the kind of virtualization workloads he´s going to do.

I would personaly say go for X99, since it offers more options, and of course more cores / threads which will be handy to have, if he does gaming and running a VM at the same time.

But a 6700K is basicly also capable of doing it.

However there are a couple things that you need to keep in mind doe.

For example if his plan is to use Linux as the host OS, and run Windows in a KVM container for gaming with pci-e pass trough.

Then the 40 lanes of the 5930K can be a benefit to have.

This is because X99 enthusiast cpu´s dont feuture an igpu like main stream cpu´s, so you gonne need 2 physical video cards then, one for the linux host, and the other one for the Windows KVM that you pass trough.

You can still do this on a 28 lane cpu aswell of course but still, its something to keep in mind.

But if he just want to run windows as the host OS, and just run Linux in a VM.

Then you are fine with a single gpu.

If you run virtualization on a Z170 platform with the 6700K, you are basicly fine with one single gpu in either scenario´s.

Because the 6700K offers an igpu.

As far as thread handling goes with virtualization.

THe Host OS handles the workload of the virtualizated OS as incomming threads.

@Sintezza so you are saying 6700k are capable of doing gaming + virtualization but im curious which is better at doing it 6700k? or 5930k? what if im doing gaming + virtualization gaming too just example or multiple Virtual gaming. which is better for it the 6700k or 5930k? 

4 minutes ago, Kardel81 said:

@Sintezza so you are saying 6700k are capable of doing gaming + virtualization but im curious which is better at doing it 6700k? or 5930k? what if im doing gaming + virtualization gaming too just example or multiple Virtual gaming. which is better for it the 6700k or 5930k? 

If you want multiple gaming VMs, the 5960x (with it's mighty 8 cores) will be your best bet.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

@Imakuni the price of that is just too much for me thats why im thinking of either 6700k or 5930k only and tbh im really not a fan of X series 

@Imakuni the price of that is just too much for me thats why im thinking of either 6700k or 5930k only and tbh im really not a fan of X series 

Right... so you are fine with spending 1000$ on a 5930k + Rampage V, but 1150$ on a 5960X + not an overkill mobo is too much? Really?

19 hours ago, Kardel81 said:

5930K or 5820K will be better of course 2 extra physical cores.

Its a 12 threads cpu vs a 8 threads cpu.

19 hours ago, Kardel81 said:

If price is an issue why are you getting the 5930k over a 5820k ?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

@iDeFecZx well im not really a fan of X series just saying and so if you guys are asking me to pick 5820k over 5930k so Which is a better combo 5930k with Asus x99 Rampage V or 5820k With Msi X99 SLI PLUS?

21 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Right... so you are fine with spending 1000$ on a 5930k + Rampage V, but 1150$ on a 5960X + not an overkill mobo is too much? Really?

That's actually a pretty good idea when you put it that way.  Obviously the X is intimidation and scares some folks.  :D

20 minutes ago, Kardel81 said:

@iDeFecZx well im not really a fan of X series just saying and so if you guys are asking me to pick 5820k over 5930k so Which is a better combo 5930k with Asus x99 Rampage V or 5820k With Msi X99 SLI PLUS?

I'm not understanding your combinations.  More expensive 5930k with more expensive RVE or less expensive 5820k with less expensive MSI x99?  

You don't want an X series for whatever reason, but you're in between a 6700k, 5820k, or 5930k.  From a PCIe lane perspective, if the 6700k is even up for consideration, then a 5820k would be more than enough if you decided on 6 core.  I don't understand why you're even considering the 5930k.  If you're thinking like that, you might as well consider the idea that @Imakuni threw out there with the 5960x and a less expensive board.

@done12many2 i heard that 5920k is good when u put it with msi x99 sli plus

and its whats available on hand only 6700k 5930k or 5820k thats why im in those 3 things

"i meant 5820k not 5920k"

sorry guys if im confusing you my only problem with X is its not available on hand cuz currently we only have 5820k 5930k or 6700k thats why im asking those 3 i was asking 5930k vs 6700k since its the highest of 5th gen and newest gen the 6700k thats why i ask first which is good cuz idk if i should stick on a 5th gen or 6th gen for gaming with virtual machine since ppl say 6700k is good but idk if its better than 5930k

43 minutes ago, Kardel81 said:

sorry guys if im confusing you my only problem with X is its not available on hand cuz currently we only have 5820k 5930k or 6700k thats why im asking those 3 i was asking 5930k vs 6700k since its the highest of 5th gen and newest gen the 6700k thats why i ask first which is good cuz idk if i should stick on a 5th gen or 6th gen for gaming with virtual machine since ppl say 6700k is good but idk if its better than 5930k

Unless you know for a fact that you need 40 CPU PCIe lanes, I'd drop the 5930k from any further consideration.  If you are trying to think of what you can use 40 lanes for, you probably will never need it.  The 5930k is a complete waste of money if you don't know if you need it or not.  There is no performance difference between a 5820k and 5930k once overclocked.

The 6700k will also work well, but the 5820k will be ideal for your application.

@done12many2 ohh cool thanks thats a big help so does 5820k good with MSI x99 SLI PLUS? or should i get a better MOBO?

Just now, Kardel81 said:

@done12many2 ohh cool thanks thats a big help so does 5820k good with MSI x99 SLI PLUS? or should i get a better MOBO?

You're welcome.  I'm going to have to defer the MSI recommendations to other members as I've only used one of their boards in the past.  I can tell you that I wasn't impressed with it, but that was an entirely different platform.  

I would avoid the msi x99 sli boards until they sort their usb drivers out first. I've had an x99 sli and an x99a sli, both had sub issues on two of the usb controllers. Windows 8.1 and 10 have the issues.

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset