How to make my rig quieter ?

AngryFishLady

Hello everyone. I've recently experimented with my fan setup and I've never been able to settle on a configuration that have both decent cooling and sound level.

My rig is :

970 GTX from msi

i5 3570k

NZXT s340

1 SSD, 1 HDD

Corsair h80i

My current fan/rad configuration is :

2 stock h80i fans on the h80i in push pull, the whole thing is at the front of the case in intake at the top

1 140mm thermaltake riing fan in intake at the front, under the h80i

1 120mm thermaltake riin fan at the back in exhaust

I often have to push the h80i fans in the 80-100 range to have its temperature stabilize, it often gets around 45C otherwise (ambiant is 28, dang summer).

I was wondering how I could make the whole setup silent while keeping it cool, I know stock corsair fans gets really loud when above 60% load, and it seems riings are not really good on that front either. It also seems that my PSU is making a lot of noise, and was wondering if it was okay to remove its fan entirely. Any advice needed really.

Don't touch the psu fan, change out the H80 120-l fans, if your overclocked bring it down to stock, run the case fans at a low rpm. Sometimes it's about compromise, but you and only you knows how you want your rig to run. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

What would you suggest for the H80I fans as a replacement ? Also the case fans are not PWM so I can't really tone them down except for the low-noise adapter given in the package but it's not really effective.

The noise you hearing from PSU is probs coil whine. 

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

The noise you hearing from PSU is probs coil whine. 

Ah, maybe. I'll test with all fans off to hear in detail. Any way to fix it if that's the case ?

21 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

Hello everyone. I've recently experimented with my fan setup and I've never been able to settle on a configuration that have both decent cooling and sound level.

My rig is :

970 GTX from msi

i5 3570k

NZXT s340

1 SSD, 1 HDD

Corsair h80i

My current fan/rad configuration is :

2 stock h80i fans on the h80i in push pull, the whole thing is at the front of the case in intake at the top

1 140mm thermaltake riing fan in intake at the front, under the h80i

1 120mm thermaltake riin fan at the back in exhaust

I often have to push the h80i fans in the 80-100 range to have its temperature stabilize, it often gets around 45C otherwise (ambiant is 28, dang summer).

I was wondering how I could make the whole setup silent while keeping it cool, I know stock corsair fans gets really loud when above 60% load, and it seems riings are not really good on that front either. It also seems that my PSU is making a lot of noise, and was wondering if it was okay to remove its fan entirely. Any advice needed really.

You never mentioned your PSU, what is it? You may be able to get a fanless one if it's in your budget. Otherwise, the EVGA G2 or GS or Seasonic G-series are quiet.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

14 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

What would you suggest for the H80I fans as a replacement ? Also the case fans are not PWM so I can't really tone them down except for the low-noise adapter given in the package but it's not really effective.

bequiet! or Noctua or Noiseblocker eLoops

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Corsair sell pretty decent SP fans; in some places even in a two-pack. You could use PCPartPicker to look for fans.

SP fans are good for radiators, don't mistake them for their AF fans cause that's something I accidentally do all the time.

Otherwise, I'd say 45C is not so bad at all especially if those higher temps allow you to have a quiet system, but swapping out the fans is probably the first step if you want both cool & quiet.

1 hour ago, PointlessSteel said:

Corsair sell pretty decent SP fans; in some places even in a two-pack. You could use PCPartPicker to look for fans.

SP fans are good for radiators, don't mistake them for their AF fans cause that's something I accidentally do all the time.

Otherwise, I'd say 45C is not so bad at all especially if those higher temps allow you to have a quiet system, but swapping out the fans is probably the first step if you want both cool & quiet.

Thanks for the answer. I went on and order 2 Noctua NF-F12 for the radiatior. I'll use the stock corsairs for casefans.

Put something like scythe slip streams or noiseblocker blacksilentpros 1200rpm on h80 push pull.

Fan that pulls air is going to make more noise set that to 7 or 5 volts.

45c isn't high. Why are you running your fans so fast?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

45c isn't high. Why are you running your fans so fast?

45C is the temp that I get on Link for the radiator/water (I don't really know which it is, I guess the rad), CPU is 35-70 depending on load. I run the fans that high because otherwise it only rises and from what I understand causes a feedback loop where everything gets hotter. Am I wrong on this ? Should I lower the fans anyway because whatever ? I've read that for watercooling you're supposed to aim for +10C max from ambiant, and my ambiant is 28C so 45 is a bit high in comparison to what I've read.

8 hours ago, AngryFishLady said:

45C is the temp that I get on Link for the radiator/water (I don't really know which it is, I guess the rad), CPU is 35-70 depending on load. I run the fans that high because otherwise it only rises and from what I understand causes a feedback loop where everything gets hotter. Am I wrong on this ? Should I lower the fans anyway because whatever ? I've read that for watercooling you're supposed to aim for +10C max from ambiant, and my ambiant is 28C so 45 is a bit high in comparison to what I've read.

It may take longer to stabilize and at a higher temperature but that's the norm for liquid cooling. At a certain point, there might not be enough cooling to compensate for the heat and that's when the temperature keeps rising. 

The temps seem a bit high though. What are you powering the pump off of?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It may take longer to stabilize and at a higher temperature but that's the norm for liquid cooling. At a certain point, there might not be enough cooling to compensate for the heat and that's when the temperature keeps rising. 

The temps seem a bit high though. What are you powering the pump off of?

It's a corsair h80i so it's off the CPU fan header of the motherboard. You think it could be underpowered therefore underperforming ? The pump says it's at 2800 in performance mode in Link.

8 hours ago, AngryFishLady said:

It's a corsair h80i so it's off the CPU fan header of the motherboard. You think it could be underpowered therefore underperforming ? The pump says it's at 2800 in performance mode in Link.

Try powering the pump off of a 3pin off of the motherboard and running it at full speed or an adapter off of the psu to see if that makes any difference.