Google is desperate - Chrome OS "transformation pack" for Windows 8

GoodBytes

Google is working on making a Chrome OS part of Windows 8 in some transformation pack / overlay thing.

It will work a bit like Chrome web browser touch mode, where instead of actually making a web browser for Modern UI, like what Firefox is working on (beta version available), it opted to simply runs on your desktop, a touch friendly UI version.

The way it seams to work, is like a giant full screen app, going over your task bar, much like a game, where you run ChromeOS based programs.

chromeoswin89_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

chromeoswin87_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/5/4806562/google-building-chrome-os-into-windows-8

It is sad to see Google being this desperate to push it's OS. But this is what is in the works.

Personally, I see 0 advantage of this, and makes no sense. The point of Chrome OS was a light weight OS, for ultra low power computer so that they use web based programs offered by Google (e.g.: web browser + Google docs), to make a low cost system. Now, not only you need to a full power computer, but you end up running Chrome OS shell and program (not core) over Windows, meaning you definitely need to spend money on extra RAM to suppose this.. and for what? Programs that are honestly inferior to free alternatives to Open Office, LibreOffice, let alone, arguably, Office in SkyDrive, if you really must use Office? This is just silly.

And it's not like Chrome has the best reputation on system resource optimization.. look at Chrome, while it is a very fast web browser, and fairly impressive, look at how much CPU and RAM resources it needs to operate smoothly, so now an OS overlay?

What do you think about this?

Google Chrome OS, desperation edition.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

So it's a Windows 8 re-skinning...?

More of an overlay, from my understanding, where you need to alt+Tab the hole thing to access Windows programs. Much like a running a program when you are playing a full screen game.

No way I would use this.

2500k @ 4.8, R9 290x, 256GB Vertex 4, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Brown, Logitech G602 Mouse, Kingwin Lazer 1000w Platinum PSU, Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 8GB @1866, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, Xonar U7, Sennheiser 598, Switch 810, Coolermaster Hyper 212 with 1x Noctua nf-f12

Right.............I have no words to express how stupid this is lol

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

More of an overlay, from my understanding, where you need to alt+Tab the hole thing to access Windows programs. Much like a running a program when you are playing a full screen game.

So it's leaching off Windows to make it work? This sounds like a needless resource hog.

So it's leaching off Windows to make it work? This sounds like a needless resource hog.

Pretty much what it looks like.

Problem is we know better so won't install it but Jane and Joe consumer will be nagged to death to install this evey single time they navigate to Google, from there it is reasonable to assume a good chunk of them will install it.

And that is really Googles plan get a section of people who can live just in this and therefore will hopefully buy a chroomebook next time they need a computer.

As much as you can do a lot in a web browser, there is no substitute to a proper fully functional local OS, local applications or local storage.

Very true Neon. We used to have such setup back in the old days where computers where room size, and super expensive.

People got fed up with connection issue, resource sharing, security issues (which is more threatening today), unable to install apps that you want, forced to use what's the IT installed (in this case, Google made) so when PC's came along, it was huge, and people where perfectly willing to cash out 3000$+ for a system, just for that. Same for companies. And now it looks like Google tries to return us to these old days.

Microsoft is starting to get it, where it uses cloud not for online programs, but rather syncing things between system, removing going "Damn, that file I need is on my home computer.", and really makes other devices feel like you are taking your main computer with you. For example, in Windows 8, if you use a Microsoft account based account instead of the traditional local account, your Modern UI program, background, password, language preferences, App settings (Modern UI apps), and so on, sync between your systems. They pushed this on Office 2013, and even on Visual Studio 2013. I think this is a good use of cloud, where it's convenient, but optional.

Lol how is this sad?? This is the smartest thing ever. Google is bringing back multitasking to windows before ms is. If all u want is a chrome browser for metro all u do is click start in windows 8 mode in the settings of regular chrome.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Lol how is this sad?? This is the smartest thing ever. Google is bringing back multitasking to windows before ms is. If all u want is a chrome browser for metro all u do is click start in windows 8 mode in the settings of regular chrome.

You can perfectly multi-task with Windows 8. Nothing was changed in that regard. You should actually try Windows 8. And Chrome has no Modern UI app. It's just a more touch friendly interface change it does. This breaks the whole experience as it doesn't behave properly, with other Modern UI programs, as it's the desktop.

For example, if you set your screen to be 70% Modern UI app, and 30% Chrome, you can't. Windows will show on that 30% space thumbnail preview of program. However IE and Firefox Modern UI, have no problem, and the page is formatted accordingly (auto-switch to mobile version of the web site, if there is one). See? Smart!

if this is what I think it is... This is awesome!

Lightweight and "portable desktop" with unified user interface, data, settings and application access that is free of hardware and operating system is the future.  Browsers started that step, now html 5 is not living up to it's potentials.  Additionaly, people need "desktop".. at least for now that's what they are used to.    Windows RT would have been that bridge... if but the price got conflicted with intel atom + full windows tablets.  The ubuntu phone was going to push that concept.

If this works... all I need is a phone with hybrid data storage and plug a big screen when I need.  Not google has that project in which you can work off your phone on the big screen just by going up to it.  So NFC + monitor.  Future cars with monitors for the passengers... that's the next step of evolution to being hunched over a tiny screen.  Or maybe it's straight to people mindlessly looking into the air with their "hud" or "glasses".

Anywhere I digress.

Sign me up... as long as it's free  :lol:

Edit:  IMO, if google sets it up with proper user profile and security, this could be a big boom to productivity.  I'll gladly buy another tablet or computer for different rooms since you no longer have to be tied down to one location.  One can also separate work from play in tablets and phones.

My Rigs (past and present)

Doesn't sound desperate to me. They're giving users functionality and options. What's wrong with that?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Doesn't sound desperate to me. They're giving users functionality and options. What's wrong with that?

They OS is not doing well. So instead of just making separate applications, and simply go "Look you have the application you love, on Chrome book, and look it's ridiculous cheap (the laptop with Chrome OS)", you have to load this entire OS interface shell, to load applications.

They are trying to gain market share by simply hoping people will go "Yea i really don't like Windows 8, let me install this and set as start-up and just never touch Windows 8", and then maybe, hope that your next system is a Chrome book. Sadly, if the user doesn't like Windows 8 because there is a learning curve, why switch to something that also require a learning curve, have virtually no apps in comparison, and the provided web apps are very limited? It makes no sense. What Google should have done, at least, is make Chrome OS downloadable, and at least people with old systems can get that, that would have been a smarter move. But no, it's desperate, it's hopes that it will gain moment with Windows 8.

The fact that more and more people are starting to like Windows 8, this won't do anything for Google.  Most people don't like cloud based software, and don't like being limited, even though one can argue that this is what they normally use on day to day. Also, Chrome OS has ads everywhere.. as all apps are Google loaded pages in Chrome OS. So you have targeted ads. Meaning all your work and search are all track by Google.

You can perfectly multi-task with Windows 8. Nothing was changed in that regard. You should actually try Windows 8. And Chrome has no Modern UI app. It's just a more touch friendly interface change it does. This breaks the whole experience as it doesn't behave properly, with other Modern UI programs, as it's the desktop.

For example, if you set your screen to be 70% Modern UI app, and 30% Chrome, you can't. Windows will show on that 30% space thumbnail preview of program. However IE and Firefox Modern UI, have no problem, and the page is formatted accordingly (auto-switch to mobile version of the web site, if there is one). See? Smart!

This.

You could also perfectly do this in Vista, an OS many people hated. Multi-tasking ability added is a straw man argument. Someone can multi task on an old XP box running a dual core....it's the user that decides whether or not their machine is "multi-taskable" - not some overlay eating resources.

yeah chrome does have a windows 8 mode. . . Go to the three lines on the top right corner and there is a "relaunch in windows 8" mode" right below the recents tab. If u want that, there u go. If u want chrome os u have an option for that too.

yeah chrome does have a windows 8 mode. . . Go to the three lines on the top right corner and there is a "relaunch in windows 8" mode" right below the recents tab. If u want that, there u go. If u want chrome os u have an option for that too.

I don't think you know what I am talking about. You should get Windows 8. I can assure you, you wont' use that mode with a foot pole. You'll run get Firefox Beta or actually use IE for a significantly better experience.

I don't think you know what I am talking about. You should get Windows 8. I can assure you, you wont' use that mode with a foot pole. You'll run get Firefox Beta or actually use IE for a significantly better experience.

yeah i do. I have windows 8. Your right, I wouldn't touch it. You know why? because i'm using a mouse+keyboard. And what's soo wrong with it?

They OS is not doing well. So instead of just making separate applications, and simply go "Look you have the application you love, on Chrome book, and look it's ridiculous cheap (the laptop with Chrome OS)", you have to load this entire OS interface shell, to load applications.

They are trying to gain market share by simply hoping people will go "Yea i really don't like Windows 8, let me install this and set as start-up and just never touch Windows 8", and then maybe, hope that your next system is a Chrome book. Sadly, if the user doesn't like Windows 8 because there is a learning curve, why switch to something that also require a learning curve, have virtually no apps in comparison, and the provided web apps are very limited? It makes no sense. What Google should have done, at least, is make Chrome OS downloadable, and at least people with old systems can get that, that would have been a smarter move. But no, it's desperate, it's hopes that it will gain moment with Windows 8.

The fact that more and more people are starting to like Windows 8, this won't do anything for Google.  Most people don't like cloud based software, and don't like being limited, even though one can argue that this is what they normally use on day to day. Also, Chrome OS has ads everywhere.. as all apps are Google loaded pages in Chrome OS. So you have targeted ads. Meaning all your work and search are all track by Google.

Chrome OS is rapidly growing due to the price of Chromebooks. So I would say their OS is doing alright. I have used Chrome OS, I like the look and simplicity of it. Most people are looking for an inexpensive machine that surfs the web. Chromebooks fit most peoples budget and use case and that's why they are selling well. Having said that, they want to branch out into new territory, and the best way of doing things is an overlay. The demographic that ChromeOS is aimed at isn't the type that would feel comfortable installing their own OS from scratch, so why not give them an easy experience bundled in a simple download. Do I like the idea? I'm indifferent because it doesn't fit my use case. Is it a bad thing? No, more freedom and options, that's what the PC is about in all reality regardless of what OS you run or prefer. I don't think desperate is the word, Google doesn't have to be desperate when they're selling like hotcakes. Google is just offering people choice. You can run Chrome (browser) and if you love the applications and love the interface you can run ChromeOS. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

question is... why only windows 8?  or maybe that's their starting point.

My Rigs (past and present)

So, if I understand correctly... This is a Chrome OS emulator for Windows 8.

Because...

Nope, can't think of a reason.