HDMI From MOBO to Displayport On Monitor

Which kind of cable do I need to connect the HDMI port on my MOBO to the Displayport on my monitor? Will there be any loss of performance since I'm going to have to transmit an HDMI signal to a Displayport?

Do I need an HDMI to Displayport cable or a Displayport to HDMI cable? Could you please post some product links to the correct cable as well, please?

I'm thinking about buying the Asus C623AQR monitor and the GIGABYTE GA-H170M-D3H Micro-ATX motherboard

Thanks!

BigDay

• CPU: AMD athlon  860k
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A58M-HD2
  • RAM:2x4gb HyperX Fury
  • GPU: XFX R9 380 4gb
  • Case: NXZT S340
  • PSU: EVGA 650G
  • Display: BenQ GL2460HM
  • Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo
  • Keyboard: Corsair k60 
  • Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 (white
  • Sound Logitech g430
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

•  

3 minutes ago, KearneyMC said:

i don't think this will work. the motherboard has no displayport. the monitor has the display port. this cable is meant for an hdmi input (monitor with an hdmi). the output (the motherboard) is hdmi.

BigDay

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

3 minutes ago, DrM said:

i have never heard of hdmi to displayport.

nvm, i just found that theyre really expensive

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/hdmi-displayport-converter-4k~HD2DP

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

If I went with a complete DVI-D connection from my motherboard to the monitor I suggested above in my original post, will there be any loss of performance compared to any other connection?

Thanks!

BigDay

I use HDMI from my PC's onboard graphics to DisplayPort on my monitor. Don't see why it wouldn't work as you can use a passive adapter for it to work.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I use HDMI from my PC's onboard graphics to DisplayPort on my monitor. Don't see why it wouldn't work as you can use a passive adapter for it to work.

Thanks bro. Could you please provide me with a link to a passive adapter that you believe will work?

BigDay

1 hour ago, BigDay said:

Thanks bro. Could you please provide me with a link to a passive adapter that you believe will work?

This is mine https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1468692542&sr=1-5&keywords=hdmi+to+displayport

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

46 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I don't think this will work if my motherboard has an HDMI port only and my monitor has a Displayport only. Am I wrong?

BigDay

HDMI ports do not have the ability to send DisplayPort signals, so passive adapters/cables will not work from an HDMI output to a DisplayPort monitor, this has been well-established. You will need a signal converter.

If you used DVI-D the picture would be exactly the same. If your monitor is not more than 1920×1080 at 144 Hz or 2560×1440 at 75 Hz, then it doesn't matter if you use DVI or something else. DVI also doesn't carry audio, if your monitor has built-in speakers and you are planning to use them.

58 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

HDMI ports do not have the ability to send DisplayPort signals, so passive adapters/cables will not work from an HDMI output to a DisplayPort monitor, this has been well-established. You will need a signal converter.

If you used DVI-D the picture would be exactly the same. If your monitor is not more than 1920×1080 at 144 Hz or 2560×1440 at 75 Hz, then it doesn't matter if you use DVI or something else. DVI also doesn't carry audio, if your monitor has built-in speakers and you are planning to use them.

Thank you! This is what I thought.

BigDay

2 hours ago, BigDay said:

I don't think this will work if my motherboard has an HDMI port only and my monitor has a Displayport only. Am I wrong?

That's exactly what I use mine for...

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That's exactly what I use mine for...

Can you please double check that? Because I have tried it before with many different adapters, it does not work, and I get questions here all the time from people using this configuration confused about why they aren't getting a signal. In fact this is the reason almost every DisplayPort to HDMI cable, including the one you linked above, has a warning in the description stating that configuration will not work. Here is the one on the amazon page you linked:

Cable Matters Gold-Plated DisplayPort to HDTV cable is an indispensable companion for your laptop or desktop equipped with DisplayPort. Enjoy movies on the big screen HDTV, extend your desktop to a second monitor (1080p) for an expanded workstation, or show presentations on a projector at school or work with this cable. The combination of gold-plated connectors, bare copper conductors, and foil & braid shielding provides superior cable performance and guarantees exceptional picture quality and authentic sound. 

Connection Notes 
- Can only convert signal from DisplayPort to HDTV. This is not a bi-directional adapter 
- Connect up to 2 monitors using AMD Eyefinity Multi-Display technology (one cable per monitor); An active cable is required to support more monitors 
- Depress the button on the DisplayPort connector to release the latches and avoid damage when unplugging 

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Can you please double check that? Because I have tried it before with many different adapters, it does not work, and I get questions here all the time from people using this configuration confused about why they aren't getting a signal. In fact this is the reason almost every DisplayPort to HDMI cable, including the one you linked above, has a warning in the description stating that configuration will not work. Here is the one on the amazon page you linked:

My Dell Ultrasharp uses this if that helps (so it's a nice monitor). Do you know it monitors can have active adaption built in like that? Cuz it works without issues for me, using HD4600 graphics on a B85M-DS3H. I'll double check when I get home. I also use DVI from the PC to HDMI (I know my cable configuration makes no sense but it's a length thing for cable management) using DVI from onboard as well.

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

You were right. I don't remember why I have this setup now, but apparently I did a cable overhaul awhile ago. I have DVI-DVI to my Dell and HDMI-DVI to my Asus, sorry about that!

58 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You were right. I don't remember why I have this setup now, but apparently I did a cable overhaul awhile ago. I have DVI-DVI to my Dell and HDMI-DVI to my Asus, sorry about that!

No problem, glad we got it sorted :)

17 hours ago, Glenwing said:

No problem, glad we got it sorted :)

Hi Glenwing.

Will a mini Displayport on a PC be able to connect to a full Displayport on a monitor with just a different cable? Or, will it need a special adapter?

Thanks!

BigDay

35 minutes ago, BigDay said:

Hi Glenwing.

Will a mini Displayport on a PC be able to connect to a full Displayport on a monitor with just a different cable? Or, will it need a special adapter?

Thanks!

It will work fine, there is no difference between them besides the physical shape. From the computer's point of view they are the same thing, so just a cable with a mDP connector on one end and a full DP on the other will be good to go.