The New Razer Blade screen?

Quick question about the glossy screen on the New Razer Blade, is it usable in sunlight, like in a car or in the grass? I have used my Macbook Pro in the car and it is awful trying to squint and see what is going on in dark scenes or environments

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Woah. If you're having problems on your Macbook Pro, you're going to have even heavier problems on that screen. While great, it's even glossier and more reflective than the Macbook's. And Macbooks have a higher nit than Razer Blade screen. However, both screens are 300 nit's plus so unless it's like in BRIGHT direct sunlight you shouldn't be having problems. Also the screens on these things + xps line up are some of the brightness screens on the market today. If you're having problems with these, nothing much could help you.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

6 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Woah. If you're having problems on your Macbook Pro, you're going to have even heavier problems on that screen. While great, it's even glossier and more reflective than the Macbook's. And Macbooks have a higher nit than Razer Blade screen. However, both screens are 300 nit's plus so unless it's like in BRIGHT direct sunlight you shouldn't be having problems. Also the screens on these things + xps line up are some of the brightness screens on the market today. If you're having problems with these, nothing much could help you.

Its not the brightness that I have trouble with, it is the glaring. When I am in the car and the sun is shining on me the reflection of the bright sun on my shirt is far brighter than the screen on my Macbook Pro. After a couple hours of that my eyes hurt. Even now I am on it and if I stop focusing on the screen and instead on the reflection I can clearly see myself on darker images like KSP (which is what I am playing rn)

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Ahhhhh, the Macbook already has a layer of anti glare that is superior to the Razer's. You can just get a matte glass screen protector for your macbook. The Moshi iVisor is great I hear. Of course things won't look as sharp, but that's the trade off.

Laptop Main

3 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Ahhhhh, the Macbook already has a layer of anti glare that is superior to the Razer's. You can just get a matte glass screen protector for your macbook. The Moshi iVisor is great I hear. Of course things won't look as sharp, but that's the trade off.

So if I decide to get the Razer Blade I should look for a matte screen protector that I can put on if I plan to be outside or in a car alot that day?

The Razer Blade is not a good laptop. May I ask what you need your laptop to do? and your budget. If you have a Macbook Pro, I don't see any reason to change it. If the screen is too glaring: https://www.amazon.ca/iVisor-Anti-Glare-Screen-Protector-MacBook/dp/B00ATJLI76

Laptop Main

The Razer Blade is not a good laptop. May I ask what you need your laptop to do? and your budget. If you have a Macbook Pro, I don't see any reason to change it. If the screen is too glaring: https://www.amazon.ca/iVisor-Anti-Glare-Screen-Protector-MacBook/dp/B00ATJLI76

What is a better laptop for around $2000 that has at least a 970m? The Macbook Pro is the schools once I go to college in a month I have to return it

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-clevo-p641re-custom-built-gaming-laptop.html 14inch, 970m.

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650rg-15-6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-980m-w-g-sync.html 15inch, 980m.

^ this thing with the gsync screen is one of my fav laptops. Just crank ultra and msaa and everything up at 1080p. gsync smooths out the 40-50 fps you'll be getting on 1080 ultra+. And it's thinner and lighter than the socketed stuff.

For Skylake, just remember that its not like DDR3 where literally the ram speeds don't matter at all. get like 2 fps increase from 1866mhz to like 2800mhz ram. DDR4 scales quite well up to around 2800mhz and 3000mhz. That's when diminishing return start hitting really hard. 

I'm assuming you don't need socketed desktop enthusiast stuff on your laptop. 

Laptop Main

1 minute ago, Pendragon said:

I have a couple of problems with these kinds of laptops though. (I don't have first-hand experience with them so if I am wrong please point it out).

From reviews and videos I have found the screens tend to be lower quality, they are plastic instead of the Blades metal, Macbook-like construction, and the trackpads are terrible. As much as people hate on Apple, if the Macbook had better hardware, a touchscreen, and a few other slight tweaks and nitpicks (and Windows of course), I would be hard pressed to find a better laptop. The trackpad is fantastic, the keyboard is plenty good enough for me, and the construction is far better than a plastic laptop. The Razer Blade, from what I have seen, is the closest to that kind of build quality. The EVOC laptops may have just as good of hardware, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, they cut corners on build, screen, and/or trackpad/keyboard quality.

23 minutes ago, Keudn said:

From reviews and videos I have found the screens tend to be lower quality, they are plastic instead of the Blades metal, Macbook-like construction, and the trackpads are terrible. As much as people hate on Apple, if the Macbook had better hardware, a touchscreen, and a few other slight tweaks and nitpicks (and Windows of course), I would be hard pressed to find a better laptop. The trackpad is fantastic, the keyboard is plenty good enough for me, and the construction is far better than a plastic laptop. The Razer Blade, from what I have seen, is the closest to that kind of build quality. The EVOC laptops may have just as good of hardware, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, they cut corners on build, screen, and/or trackpad/keyboard quality.

For sure, the Macbook has the best trackpad on anything by far. I have a Macbook Pro too. I totally believe that if the Macbooks weren't gimped on hardware they would be perfect. (Mac OS isn't designed for touch, so it really doesn't need it). Battery life on the Macbooks are unbeatable anywhere.

The Razer is FAR from the Macbook. Sure it's all aluminum, but how it's put together is garbage in comparison. Numerous quality control issues meaning you could get a perfect one, or you could RMA it 5 times and still gg. You'll also want to kill someone when your going through Razer's customer support which is one of the worst. The cooling system in the Razer is terrible, especially with the new cooling system where it diverts heat away from your hands, you have no idea how hot your laptop actually runs unless you check it with software. Fans ramp up to like 50db which is unbearably loud. Often times under load the CPU reaches 95+ and GPU is 85+ which kills everything in your system (heat kills your battery and all component life span), so you would be lucky to get 2 years out of that thing. The heat also means everything is throttling and not running at the speeds it can. The keyboard in this generation got worst LOL. It has shorter travel distance than the 2015 version. The screen is niiice. Glossy af, but its nice. Not Razer's fault but Window's scaling is still a serious problem here. 

EVOC is just a rebrand of Clevo. The build material is plastic. But it's hard ABS plastic, so its really strong. It doesn't "feel" as premium as the Macbook, but its built like a tank. There are generally no QC issues, and customer support from EVOC is top tier. You can ask them to price match things (like ram or drives), I think. The cooling in them is also top-tier, keeps everything running a max without burning your hand. No overheating, no throttling issues. Its also not as loud as the Razer Blade, often at 42-45db. Keyboard is meh, you're definitely right here. I'd say its maybe a tad worst than Razer 2015 and comparable to the 2016 version. Trackpads on windows have gotten surprisingly good in recent things, but here the Razer wins out. The glass Razer track pad is definitely better than the one on the Clevo. Not alot, but definitely better. The screen is like fucking amazing here LOL. 1080p IPS with Gsync. This is tier 1. 

32 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

^ this thing with the gsync screen is one of my fav laptops. Just crank ultra and msaa and everything up at 1080p. gsync smooths out the 40-50 fps you'll be getting on 1080 ultra+. And it's thinner and lighter than the socketed stuff.

Things that both these laptop suffer from is subpar battery life. The Razer gets like 4.5-5 hours and the Clevo gets around the same. Reason why is because Razer's 1800p screen drains battery more heavily. 

If you're looking for the Macbook feel. Wait for the 2016 Macbook Pro refresh. I'm waiting and deciding between the 2016 Macbook Pro and the Pascal Clevo's with 100hz gsync screens for personal. I already have a workstation for professional use.

Laptop Main

Alright, I will look into it, thank you for the help!

@D2ultima is our resident NBR Clevo guy. 

Laptop Main

Huh what I was summoned what do I do? No, don't buy Razer anything.

(There's a lot of text I don't want to read right now, so go ahead and tell me what you specifically require of me xD)

Seriously though don't buy a single razer product. There's better gear for the same price or less for ALL their products.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

41 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Seriously though don't buy a single razer product. There's better gear for the same price or less for ALL their products.

Razer Blade 14

Find me a thin and light gaming notebook with the same or better build quality, for a lower price, with the same or better specs.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

Razer Blade 14

Find me a thin and light gaming notebook with the same or better build quality, for a lower price, with the same or better specs.

What exactly do you consider "thin and light"? Because otherwise I'd suggest the P640RE which is cheaper with the same specs and more storage options. Razer does not have good build quality. It has a nice feel and look and finish on the outside, but the cooling system, cooling subsystem, and internal layout leave much to be desired.

If you don't need it to be 14", then an Aorus X5S V5 has a 980M with otherwise generally the same specs for $7 USD more

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

6 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

What exactly do you consider "thin and light"? Because otherwise I'd suggest the P640RE which is cheaper with the same specs and more storage options. Razer does not have good build quality. It has a nice feel and look and finish on the outside, but the cooling system, cooling subsystem, and internal layout leave much to be desired.

If you don't need it to be 14", then an Aorus X5S V5 has a 980M with otherwise generally the same specs for $7 USD more

It has to be basically ultrabook sized to be considered thin and light.

5 minutes ago, Henry said:

It has to be basically ultrabook sized to be considered thin and light.

Then Aorus machines should suffice. Or a plain gigabyte p35x should be fine, and cost less.

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Then Aorus machines should suffice. Or a plain gigabyte p35x should be fine, and cost less.

Eh, they don't look as thin and don't have as nice a design or made of metal.

1 minute ago, Henry said:

If the looks are what you consider to be something worth it, or metal construction trumping good hard plastic JUST because it's metal, then I can't help you. Those things don't help their performance or cooling or storage options.

5 hours ago, Henry said:

Razer Blade 14

Gigabyte Aero 14

15 hours ago, Henry said:

and so what just because something is not made out of metal on the outside it doesn't mean that it is worse build, a really easy example would be the older ThinkPad's good luck killing those, they have a plastic shell, but are build much better than a mac and can take a bigger beating than a mac.

16 hours ago, Henry said:

Razer Blade 14

um what build quality? Have you been taking something? The build quality on a razer blade is a joke, they use nice materials, but a 4 year old can put them nicer together than razer can.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.