How to port forward with multiple routers?

Gladithon

Hello I'm looking for a solution to my problem although it sounds very simple its turning out harder to do than I expected it to be.

So what I'm trying to do is port forward from my primary router to my secondary router to my PC and server. The reason this is proving complex is because for some reason I cant port forward from my primary router to my secondary one then to my PC. I have to have the second router because the master port in my house is on the opposite side f the house to where my PC is and I need the router plugged into that for highest speeds. My current networking setup is ;

BT HomeHub 4 (Primary router much cringe) (Stock ISP router)

Then I have a 25 M Cat 5E Ethernet cable connecting them

Then a secondary router (Netgear WNDR3700V3)

Then my PC and server connected via Ethernet.

My PC doesn't show up on the primary router just the extension router.

-Gladithon

You should be able to simply port forward to one router then port forward to the intended device. I am currently running 2 routers because I switched ISP's and don't have time to reconfigure everything just yet but I still had to access my server and this is what worked for me.

edit: nvm read entire post. I got nothing.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you have 2 routers. You can run the second one in a bridged mode so that you don't have to port forward 2 routers.

I have tried bridging but the isp router doesnt allow it.

30 minutes ago, trag1c said:

You should be able to simply port forward to one router then port forward to the intended device. I am currently running 2 routers because I switched ISP's and don't have time to reconfigure everything just yet but I still had to access my server and this is what worked for me.

edit: nvm read entire post. I got nothing.

I have tryed that but the primary router wont pick up on the other devices but the extention one.

4 hours ago, JaredM54 said:

Why not just move the ethernet cable on the 2nd router from WAN to LAN? Then you'll simply be extending the network and won't have a double NAT (and therefore any port forwarding problems.)

Id have to agree with @JaredM54. The setup that he suggests works. For a time thats how I ran my router as Comcast gave us an all in one unit. On the second router you will need to give it a static IP thats different then the main router and turn off the DHCP server. This way the first router will handle all of that. Effectively you will be connecting a switch to a switch. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Gladithon said:

Hello I'm looking for a solution to my problem although it sounds very simple its turning out harder to do than I expected it to be.

So what I'm trying to do is port forward from my primary router to my secondary router to my PC and server. The reason this is proving complex is because for some reason I cant port forward from my primary router to my secondary one then to my PC. I have to have the second router because the master port in my house is on the opposite side f the house to where my PC is and I need the router plugged into that for highest speeds. My current networking setup is ;

BT HomeHub 4 (Primary router much cringe) (Stock ISP router)

Then I have a 25 M Cat 5E Ethernet cable connecting them

Then a secondary router (Netgear WNDR3700V3)

Then my PC and server connected via Ethernet.

My PC doesn't show up on the primary router just the extension router.

-Gladithon

this is for if you cant just use the ISP router alone  do what @Donut417 said first if no good then do what i have

on the ISP one set it to port forward to you second router . on the second router set the port forward to where you want to . i do this on my ISP router to my main one . so if you pc is at 10.0.0.25 you set the ISP router to 192.168.1.2 the .2 is the second router or 10.0.0.1  then on the second router set it to the pc you want to port forward to so the .25 . also make sure you do udp/tcp or both option removes some of the headache and dont forget to put the  port info  on both routers setup .

im stuck doing it this way since my isp router is a pain its all ports for direct connection(stupid option ) or   a set one for just ip range . if you port forwarding a server out some isps ant happy the least once you do it . so they  may have locked it out, i have to call when im opening it up sometimes .i  dont like the account page spamming a port has been opened every sec for hours . 

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS