Stop buying 970's you fools

Iron Knickers

So many of you peeps are buying the Gtx 970 because since the release of the Rx 480, you can find the GTX 970 used on ebay for around $230 if you're lucky. 

This is what I have to say:

Why spend $230 for a used card, when you can buy a SUPERIOR NEW CARD FOR ONLY $260 RIGHT NOW. (Only 30 bucks more)

The MSI AMD R9 390 is ONLY $260 with mail in rebate on newegg RIGHT NOW, and you also get a free copy of total war: warhammer. (Not to mention this card is new and not used, while cards you buy on ebay might be messed up in some way since they're used)

The R9 390 scores better than the GTX 970 in benchmarks, and, as a bonus, has 8 GB of vram. (Also this card scores miles ahead of the 970 in Dx12 games of course.)

All im saying is that for 30 bucks more you get a faster card than the 970, a new card, and 8 GB of vram, and the superiority in Dx12 games using async, and total war warhammer. 

you can find 970s for 200 dollars new ... and you shouldn't get either one if the rx 480 is at mrsp in your country

I mean if someone only has a budget of around $250 and they have a G-sync monitor already i don't see why not to recommend the 970

"If you ain't first, you're last"

On 7/1/2016 at 3:12 PM, spartaman64 said:

you can find 970s for 200 dollars new ... and you shouldn't get either one if the rx 480 is at mrsp in your country

Where? 

On 7/1/2016 at 3:12 PM, Memories4K said:

I mean if someone only has a budget of around $250 and they have a G-sync monitor already i don't see why not to recommend the 970

Well sure if you already bought into G-sync than you dont have a huge amount of choice haha

2 minutes ago, Iron Knickers said:

Well sure if you already bought into G-sync than you dont have a huge amount of choice haha

You can get an amd card if you want too buy you cant use G-sync

MY RIG

I5 6600k

16gb Corsair vengeance 2666mhz

MSI Gaming X 1070

WD blue 2tb

samsung 850 evo 250gb

EVGA supernova G2 650w

1 minute ago, Chewique said:

You can get an amd card if you want too buy you cant use G-sync

Yep but considering if someone theoretically spend an extra $200 bucks on a g-sync monitor just for being s-sync, they would probably want to take advantage of this and buy nvidia. Otherwise its a big waste. 

used 290x's were well under $200 in the US especially in the used market. RX 480 is more or less 290x level for the same price as the 290x for a year now. not really impressive 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

1 minute ago, Iron Knickers said:

Yep but considering if someone theoretically spend an extra $200 bucks on a g-sync monitor just for being s-sync, they would probably want to take advantage of this and buy nvidia. Otherwise its a big waste. 

Yeah, but im just saying that it still works

MY RIG

I5 6600k

16gb Corsair vengeance 2666mhz

MSI Gaming X 1070

WD blue 2tb

samsung 850 evo 250gb

EVGA supernova G2 650w

1 minute ago, Chewique said:

Yeah, but im just saying that it still works

True

I might buy another one.

Cos why not.

Cheap as.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

RX 480 is more expensive than a NEW GTX 970 or R9 390 (both custom coolers) in Sweden. 

11 minutes ago, HydraGaming said:

RX 480 is more expensive than a NEW GTX 970 or R9 390 (both custom coolers) in Sweden. 

I'd not want one as it performs less, and the Vram issue on the GTX970 isn't an issue, whatsoever. (Treat it as a 3.6GB card, it performs fast, no stutters in any game I play using DSR @ Ultra to test it myself)

Plus GTX970's being cheaper, will be snapped up regardless by others... (also has existing Driver support already)

GTX970's are a brilliant bargain now in the used market,...Best get a good deal while you can.

R9 390 is a beast as well, no complaints (apart from power draw compared to RX480) but its the nature of the Nanometres

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

23 minutes ago, afyeung said:

used 290x's were well under $200 in the US especially in the used market. RX 480 is more or less 290x level for the same price as the 290x for a year now. not really impressive 

the 480 is also a new card with better support, more VRAM, a better GPU, better VR performance, uses less power, runs cooler (well, the aftermarket ones will ;) ) so it's kinda impressive. 

also the 290x was $549 at launch, this is $199/229 at launch.

I used to be quite active here.

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I'd not want one as it performs less, and the Vram issue on the GTX970 isn't an issue, whatsoever. (Treat it as a 3.6GB card, it performs fast, no stutters in any game I play using DSR @ Ultra to test it myself)

Plus GTX970's being cheaper, will be snapped up regardless by others... (also has existing Driver support already)

GTX970's are a brilliant bargain now in the used market,...Best get a good deal while you can.

R9 390 is a beast as well, no complaints (apart from power draw compared to RX480) but its the nature of the Nanometres

The 480 is not slower, drivers are just immature, and some reviewers even used the wrong drivers for their reviews. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion it's slower than a 970 and 390 when it competes with a 390x and even Fury in some games.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just throwing this very unverified leak out there but...

GTX1060

If True, bang for the buck might be something Nvidia offers to rival AMD in this case... Might be worth waiting 6 days for more info or 13 days for limited availability.

Only a fanboy would write a post like this, people will buy what they feel like buying, wether they take advice from you or anyone else, its their decision not yours and also the 480 doesnt perform like  390x or fury at all, dont say something and not post proof.

Its their choice. But i wouldn't recommend buying the 970. The vram handicap is already starting to affect newer games.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

12 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Its their choice. But i wouldn't recommend buying the 970. The vram handicap is already starting to affect newer games.

But its really not considering both of mine were fine in single or sli mode.

3 minutes ago, TheHappyJarhead said:

But its really not considering both of mine were fine in single or sli mode.

It is a lil bit of a problem. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 minutes ago, Suika said:

GTX 970 doesn't risk frying your motherboard, though ;)

That, and a reference cooler that still after all this time, even at 14nm runs hotter than the center of the sun. The leaf blower err I mean reference 480 was measured at almost 70 decibels at 100% fan speed! :o 

(A)nother (M)ajor (D)isappointment.

Id suggest everyone to wait for the GTX 1060. Leaks show it bitch slapping the 480 and guess what!?!? It won't fry your motherboard!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I can understand the idea of the amount of VRam being a concern. However games come with graphics settings for a reason, to tailor game to the performance ability of the card. With proper settings adjustment nearly any new game will run well on a 970 or 390, each card is different and both are very good...

However I personally feel 200 USD is a bit much for both cards if they are used, but about right if they are new, especially when the current generation of cards and upcoming cards is considered.

14 hours ago, Iron Knickers said:

So many of you peeps are buying the Gtx 970 because since the release of the Rx 480, you can find the GTX 970 used on ebay for around $230 if you're lucky. 

This is what I have to say:

Why spend $230 for a used card, when you can buy a SUPERIOR NEW CARD FOR ONLY $260 RIGHT NOW. (Only 30 bucks more)

The MSI AMD R9 390 is ONLY $260 with mail in rebate on newegg RIGHT NOW, and you also get a free copy of total war: warhammer. (Not to mention this card is new and not used, while cards you buy on ebay might be messed up in some way since they're used)

The R9 390 scores better than the GTX 970 in benchmarks, and, as a bonus, has 8 GB of vram. (Also this card scores miles ahead of the 970 in Dx12 games of course.)

All im saying is that for 30 bucks more you get a faster card than the 970, a new card, and 8 GB of vram, and the superiority in Dx12 games using async, and total war warhammer. 

I paid £150 for my 970. That's $199 at the current exchange rate. Currently used 970s go for £170ish (230 USD) and RX480s sell new for £230, which is $305. I think I got a good deal.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

jaytwocents did a video avout the rx 480 crossfire vs 1080 it almost had the same preformence for 200 dollars less the 1080 was running stock tho not OC so AMD did a pretty good job on that