1 gtx 1080 or 2 980ti?

mariobros
Go to solution Solved by The Realist,
2 minutes ago, App4that said:

xD I did. Too many arguments at once.

You get my point though. You have a monster set up, I'd rock the hell out of it. But Pascal is has features that outweigh the fps lead a SLI config has on it.

The 1080 advantages :

-Beter upgrade path

-Newer Architecture

-Good power efficiency

-Better scaling with there new SLI Bridge

-Eyefinity

-No bottlenecks

-No stutters

Cons :

-Raw performance over 980 Ti's

The 980 Ti SLI Advantages :

-Raw performance

Cons : Everything the 1080 has in advantages expect in a minus

4 minutes ago, mariobros said:

my thinking behind not taking the trade right away was the future upgrade path and the future better support than the 980ti

Right now? The 980ti SLI is beast, bloodthirsty beast that would kill anything. But in a year? Could still be a beast or you could watch as your setup barely keeps up with budget cards in new titles. So if all you do is play older games, it's a slight improvement. But what if in 6 months you get VR? Pascal has way better VR features than Maxwell.

I was harsh with those guys because I'd hate to see you throw away a card with way more potential for a little instant gratification.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just be aware that dual GM200s will exhaust like three times as much heat as GP104. If you can deal with that heat, and the majority of the titles you play are SLI optimized, sure.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I'd keep the 1080 if I was you. If someone came to me offering a trade of 2 Ti's for my 1080 I'd laugh them off. And besides, since I upgrade quite often (every 6 months or so) my 1080 will hold more resale value than those 980 Ti's

In theory it sounds great, but you will be regretting it in time imo.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

@App4that i agree with you since the GTX 1080 has a MUCH better future path and not talking about heat that the 980 Ti's have + the 980 Ti's in some cases will cause bottlenecks and some games have horrible SLI support and some dont even support SLI,+ in a couple years you can sell the GTX 1080 for more than the 980 Ti's because some will offer you some low cash and probs nobody will buy them in SLI,stay with the GTX 1080 and just in a couple years upgrade to a new card or get another one on the cheap...

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

26 minutes ago, App4that said:

Right now? The 980ti SLI is beast, bloodthirsty beast that would kill anything. But in a year? Could still be a beast or you could watch as your setup barely keeps up with budget cards in new titles. So if all you do is play older games, it's a slight improvement. But what if in 6 months you get VR? Pascal has way better VR features than Maxwell.

I was harsh with those guys because I'd hate to see you throw away a card with way more potential for a little instant gratification.

I'm not trying to say the 1080 isn't a good option, it's simpler, more user friendly, has a better upgrade path etc etc.

But you cannot argue that raw performance wise, 980 ti SLI dumps all over a single 1080, and not just by "a few fps"

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

5 hours ago, Lays said:

I'm not trying to say the 1080 isn't a good option, it's simpler, more user friendly, has a better upgrade path etc etc.

But you cannot argue that raw performance wise, 980 ti SLI dumps all over a single 1080, and not just by "a few fps"

Actually I can argue with the raw performance. Because that raw performance is based on games covered by the 980ti's driver support. What happens once that's gone? I'd bet you in a year the single 1080 will "dump" all over the 980ti SLI, if you could even get the SLI configuration to work. Meanwhile the 1080 gets a HB SLI bridge.

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

Actually I can argue with the raw performance. Because that raw performance is based on games covered by the 980ti's driver support. What happens once that's gone? I'd bet you in a year the single 1080 will "dump" all over the 980ti SLI, if you could even get the SLI configuration to work. Meanwhile the 1080 gets a HB SLI bridge.

Are you basing that off what happened with Kepler?  Hasn't there already been lots of videos disproving that?

I dunno about you but I used to have a 780 a long time ago, and I have one again on the newest driver, all my benchmark scores are better than they used to be back when I had one a few years back.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

So you're saying Nvidia simply drops support for their cards? 

I thought the nvidia fanclub has always been against this notion?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

So you're saying Nvidia simply drops support for their cards? 

I thought the nvidia fanclub has always been against this notion?

Not me, pretty clear they drop driver support. Why I wouldn't trade a current card for two cards who's value has dropped faster than the Pound.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Not me, pretty clear they drop driver support. Why I wouldn't trade a current card for two cards who's value has dropped faster than the Pound.

Now that makes it even worse than AMD. Also that video shows which card aged the best, not even comparing old and new drivers. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Now that makes it even worse than AMD. Also that video shows which card aged the best, not even comparing old and new drivers. 

Don't see how it make it worse than AMD, you think AMD will support the past cards now that they have Polaris to keep fed? And watch the videos, he compares drivers.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Don't see how it make it worse than AMD, you think AMD will support the past cards now that they have Polaris to keep fed? And watch the videos, he compares drivers.

I don't think you've watched the video you linked me. He compared old to new games. Not old to new drivers. 

Even in the video desc he stated all the drivers he used: 

DRIVERS USED
AMD Crimson Edition 16.5.1
Nvidia GeForce GameReady Driver 365.10

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

I don't think you've watched the video you linked me. He compared old to new games. Not old to new drivers. 

Even in the video desc he stated all the drivers he used: 

He uses the older games as the judge of driver support as compared to the newer titles.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

He uses the older games as the judge of driver support as compared to the newer titles.

And you came to a conclusion that Nvidia dropped driver support because the 680 did not age as well as the 7970 did? 

And you came to a conclusion that Nvidia dropped driver support because the 680 did not age as well as the 7970 did? 

We're drifting. This isn't about AMD verses Nvidia, plenty of topic that cover that topic. Graphics cards do not age, their performance drop off is tied to their support. It's been shown in multiple videos that driver support drops off after the release of a new architecture.

I'd just keep the 1080 myself. Two 980 Ti SC for a 1080 FE sounds too good to be true, there has gotta be a catch.

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

We're drifting. This isn't about AMD verses Nvidia, plenty of topic that cover that topic. Graphics cards do not age, their performance drop off is tied to their support. It's been shown in multiple videos that driver support drops off after the release of a new architecture.

How could we not when the video you linked yourself directly compare nvidia to amd.

How could we not when the video you linked yourself directly compare nvidia to amd.

When it comes to driver support on older cards it's quite hard to find evidence without a comparison. For obvious reasons. The topic is about comparing a 1080 to 980ti SLI. You have to consider support when evaluating that.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

When it comes to driver support on older cards it's quite hard to find evidence without a comparison. For obvious reasons. The topic is about comparing a 1080 to 980ti SLI. You have to consider support when evaluating that.

And you linked a video that doesn't even have a 980 ti. You say this topic is about the 1080 and 980 ti but you link a video that shows the 7970 and 680.

6 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

And you linked a video that doesn't even have a 980 ti. You say this topic is about the 1080 and 980 ti but you link a video that shows the 7970 and 680.

Now you're being silly. And argumentative.

Driver support is still alive and well for the 980ti, I see steady increases in fps each new driver. How can I show a drop off in driver support when it hasn't happened? And I was very clear it might not happen. But that doesn't remove the track history Nvidia has built up of doing so. Hence the video showing the drop off using older cards.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Now you're being silly. And argumentative.

Driver support is still alive and well for the 980ti, I see steady increases in fps each new driver. How can I show a drop off in driver support when it hasn't happened? And I was very clear it might not happen. But that doesn't remove the track history Nvidia has built up of doing so. Hence the video showing the drop off using older cards.

Look, you can't tell someone that they're being silly just because your arguement is falling apart. 

If you want to see driver support, go look at the 480 video that ltt did. 

9 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Look, you can't tell someone that they're being silly just because your arguement is falling apart. 

If you want to see driver support, go look at the 480 video that ltt did. 

Actually I can. If you have issues with the video I chose that's fine, mulitasking and went for the easiest one to post. Fact remains the 1080 has advantages outside the performance seen in the SLI set up, which has been my point the whole time.

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Actually I can. If you have issues with the video I chose that's fine, mulitasking and went for the easiest one to post. Fact remains the 1080 has advantages outside the performance seen in the SLI set up, which has been my point the whole time.

That's not the point we're debating. You said nvidia drops support for their older cards but fail to provide any relevant evidence. 

Your video even supports the opposite. The nvidia card still uses up to date drivers. The only thing the doesn't let it age well is the weaker hardware.

Don't tell me that you choose that video because its the easiest. It just shows that you don't take this thing seriously at all. Say something else, you're not one to go into a debate half heartedly.

16 hours ago, App4that said:

This isn't about you, you're making it about you because you have 980ti's. The OP has a 1080, which will last WAY longer and offer way more benefits than a few fps right now.

If this was me I'd take the 980tis

ifbi was last gen and I just brought a 980 and someone offered me 2 780tis for it I would have snatched his hand off

16 hours ago, App4that said:

How about driver support? DX12 support? No ones going to mention efficiency?

Keep the 1080.

But here's what you'll get with the SLI verses the 1080

Now between both in SLI bridges, so I'd just get a second 1080 if you want SLI

and here's a game with good scaling

50fps plus in most places 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933