1 gtx 1080 or 2 980ti?

mariobros
Go to solution Solved by The Realist,
2 minutes ago, App4that said:

xD I did. Too many arguments at once.

You get my point though. You have a monster set up, I'd rock the hell out of it. But Pascal is has features that outweigh the fps lead a SLI config has on it.

The 1080 advantages :

-Beter upgrade path

-Newer Architecture

-Good power efficiency

-Better scaling with there new SLI Bridge

-Eyefinity

-No bottlenecks

-No stutters

Cons :

-Raw performance over 980 Ti's

The 980 Ti SLI Advantages :

-Raw performance

Cons : Everything the 1080 has in advantages expect in a minus

jjohnthedon1, do you own a GTX 1080? I own both a GTX 1080 FE and a GTX 980TI SC. I agree that for raw power now the 980TI SLI wins.

However, the GTX 1080 is a faster card. I have to ask why a poster is willing to trade 2 980TIs for a single GTX 1080?

I have opted for single high end gpus.

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT

29 minutes ago, skline00 said:

jjohnthedon1, do you own a GTX 1080? I own both a GTX 1080 FE and a GTX 980TI SC. I agree that for raw power now the 980TI SLI wins.

However, the GTX 1080 is a faster card. I have to ask why a poster is willing to trade 2 980TIs for a single GTX 1080?

I have opted for single high end gpus.

I own 2 980tis

the point I want to make is that 

1080 is a bit faster but ultimately the 1080ti is going to be the card to get from this generation so he may as well have all the 980tis now and then if he is not happy with performance the best card to have will be the 1080ti 

instead of bein stuck with a mid tier card

which lets all be honest the 1080 will be a mid tier card 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

21 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

This ^^ so much this

becsuse thies arnt middle level cards! 

Its not like recommending 1070 over cf 480

its the same as recommending Sli 980ti over titanx

Really having a hard time trying to understand what're saying.

I got offered 2 980ti custom cards (evga sc I think) in exchange for my 1080 FE should I change I play at 5760/1080p most of the time or 1080p 144hz 

And to OP, I will tell you this, the 980 is on sale for roughly $280.00. If you think that's worth trading in for your GTX 1080, then go for it. But in my opinion, it is not worth it. You can literally sell your GTX 1080 and get 3 GTX 980 brand new. I suggest you keep your GTX 1080, in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Pohernori said:

That's not the point we're debating. You said nvidia drops support for their older cards but fail to provide any relevant evidence. 

Your video even supports the opposite. The nvidia card still uses up to date drivers. The only thing the doesn't let it age well is the weaker hardware.

Don't tell me that you choose that video because its the easiest. It just shows that you don't take this thing seriously at all. Say something else, you're not one to go into a debate half heartedly.

Not the case and you know it. Give me a chance to get moving and I'll show you a video that has both sets of driver so you can ignore it. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Not the case and you know it. Give me a chance to get moving and I'll show you a video that has both sets of driver so you can ignore it. 

On ur basis one one should buy a nvdia card ever because u may as well through them in the bin after a year because the driver support stops and they stop working 

what card do u have again ? 

also (1600) 

It is and has been. Don't change the direction of the debate. I replied to your outrageous claims of nvidia dropping support for their cards.

Don't ask me for a chance. What you do and say is your doing. Do whatever you have to do.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

27 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

It is and has been. Don't change the direction of the debate. I replied to your outrageous claims of nvidia dropping support for their cards.

Don't ask me for a chance. What you do and say is your doing. Do whatever you have to do.

Are you arguing that Nvidia doesn't drop support on the older architectures. Honestly a little unsettling. But I'll clear that misconception up, just away from my PC. 

13 minutes ago, App4that said:

Are you arguing that Nvidia doesn't drop support on the older architectures. Honestly a little unsettling. But I'll clear that misconception up, just away from my PC. 

If the drivers are still coming then the support is till there. The 480 still has new drivers even up till today. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

25 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

If the drivers are still coming then the support is till there. The 480 still has new drivers even up till today. 

Everyone here knows Linus doesn't use the best methodology. Remember he says RAM speed doesn't matter ether even though Digital Foundry has busted that wide open and showed impressive gains.

Here's the video I was after, bookmarked it so this won't happen again. Good talk though.

3 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

and here's a game with good scaling

50fps plus in most places 

And AMD fans use AotS to show you shouldn't buy Nvidia, don't fall pray to the dark side and focus on one game that shows what you want to see.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

And AMD fans use AotS to show you shouldn't buy Nvidia, don't fall pray to the dark side and focus on one game that shows what you want to see.

I'm not but that's what u did when u were using the witcher 3 example

a game with poor Sli scaling but big benefits from overclocking 

yes the 1080 is a bit better but for me at the end of the day I would rather have 2 top tier cards from last gen than a mid ranged card now 

also (1600) 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Everyone here knows Linus doesn't use the best methodology. Remember he says RAM speed doesn't matter ether even though Digital Foundry has busted that wide open and showed impressive gains.

Here's the video I was after, bookmarked it so this won't happen again. Good talk though.

Com'on. Pay more attention to what you say. Though, even still this video shows that the 780 still received driver updates through the years. And even got a performance increase in GTA 5. How do you call that "dropping support". 

A 1080 isn't gonna magically outperform a 980 Ti SLI because the 1080 received some performance improvements. The 980 didn't outperform a 780 Ti SLI either. 

9 hours ago, App4that said:

Actually I can argue with the raw performance. Because that raw performance is based on games covered by the 980ti's driver support. What happens once that's gone? I'd bet you in a year the single 1080 will "dump" all over the 980ti SLI, if you could even get the SLI configuration to work. Meanwhile the 1080 gets a HB SLI bridge.

Multi GPU support depends on the game itself. You've known how running a multi GPU card is. Even the HB SLI bridge won't help the 1080 either. Still pretty outrageous. Those claims of yours.   

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

All that video said to me is nvdia got the most of the 780 and haven't nerfed performance where as in maxwell they are still finding way to make it perform better

so basically there are no more improvements to be made for Kepler because they have maxed out that architecture 

the same way in a few years they will have pushed maxwell to its limits

and they won't nerf the card they won't make t preform worse it will just peak 

also (1600) 

1 minute ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

I'm not but that's what u did when u were using the witcher 3 example

a game with poor Sli scaling but big benefits from overclocking 

yes the 1080 is a bit better but for me at the end of the day I would rather have 2 top tier cards from last gen than a mid ranged card now 

I was very clear that the video was used because of the use of the HB SLI bridge. It show the considerable advantage Pascal has because of it, and that's just one feature the Pascal enjoys over the 980ti. How about VRAM? We're sitting on 6g of GDDR4 memory while the 1080 has 8g of GDDR4X memory that's twice as fast. Are you going to be there for the OP when games start to utilize the faster memory like GDDR4X and HBM2? How about the 980ti being 28nm and the 1080 being 14nm?

By your logic I should buy this mustang to race at the track.

CJ-COBRAII.jpg

Over this mustang.

190381_Misc_fec30590-e5b7-445e-8ded-6ba3

Because the Cobra is a higher model...

4 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

. Even the HB SLI bridge won't help the 1080 either. Still pretty outrageous. Those claims of yours.   

You missed this Video.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

I was very clear that the video was used because of the use of the HB SLI bridge. It show the considerable advantage Pascal has because of it, and that's just one feature the Pascal enjoys over the 980ti. How about VRAM? We're sitting on 6g of GDDR4 memory while the 1080 has 8g of GDDR4X memory that's twice as fast. Are you going to be there for the OP when games start to utilize the faster memory like GDDR4X and HBM2? How about the 980ti being 28nm and the 1080 being 14nm?

By your logic I should buy this mustang to race at the track.

CJ-COBRAII.jpg

Over this mustang.

190381_Misc_fec30590-e5b7-445e-8ded-6ba3

Because the Cobra is a higher model...

U said gddr4 instead of 5 

i win 

also (1600) 

3 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

U said gddr4 instead of 5 

i win 

You get my point though. You have a monster set up, I'd rock the hell out of it. But Pascal has features that outweigh the fps lead a SLI config has on it.

You missed this Video.

And you missed the part where OP only has one 1080. Though I'm here to argue that. This video has no relevance to your claims of Nvidia dropping support or that the single 1080 is gonna magically outperform a 980 Ti SLI. 

Cool tech though. Just missing the second 1080. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

You get my point though. You have a monster set up, I'd rock the hell out of it. But Pascal is has features that outweigh the fps lead a SLI config has on it.

The 1080 advantages :

-Beter upgrade path

-Newer Architecture

-Good power efficiency

-Better scaling with there new SLI Bridge

-Eyefinity

-No bottlenecks

-No stutters

Cons :

-Raw performance over 980 Ti's

The 980 Ti SLI Advantages :

-Raw performance

Cons : Everything the 1080 has in advantages expect in a minus

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

This video has no relevance to your claims of Nvidia dropping support or that the single 1080 is gonna magically outperform a 980 Ti SLI. 

Good thing I never made that claim. I was careful to list it as a possibility.

I have a friend who just picked up 2 matrix platnum 7990 for 180 pound for the 2 

abd they destroy everything 

price to performance cf and Sli on the older gen cards 

so Ye 

new features or raw performance 

is take performance over new features 

as there are already lots of videos disproving the new Sli bridge and it having no effect 

the Sli 980tis smash the 1080 so much 

it's not even comparable 

also (1600) 

Good thing I never made that claim. I was careful to list it as a possibility.

Nice. But you should be even more careful next time. You list only one of the claims as a possibility. And added in that you were trying to list it as a possibility later in the debate. 

This is that part where the debate ends. I won't pursue if the other party isn't interested anymore. Ttyl ;)

6 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

I have a friend who just picked up 2 matrix platnum 7990 for 180 pound for the 2 

so Ye 

as there are already lots of videos disproving the new Sli bridge and it having no effect 

it's not even comparable 

Here is a video with 1070 SLI, as the 1070 and 980ti are neck and neck it's applicable. Hope you don't like Doom.

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Nice. But you should be even more careful next time. You list only one of the claims as a possibility. And added in that you were trying to list it as a possibility later in the debate. 

This is that part where the debate ends. I won't pursue if the other party isn't interested anymore. Ttyl ;)

The issue here is no one seems to get the point, so I use extreme possibilities. Well, actually I try anything I can to get the point accepted.

Here's how I see it. SLI only works in some games, *see Doom. So you can't look at the performance of the SLI in SLI, only the single card. So the 1080 beats the 980ti.

12 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

so Ye 

it's not even comparable 

Matrix Platinum 7990's dont exist...a 7970 Matrix does

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.