AMD once again violating power specifications? (AMD RX-480)

Majestic
5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Nowhere in the article was that said ^

I asked around our friends in the motherboard business for some feedback on this issue - is it something that users should be concerned about or are modern day motherboards built to handle this type of variance? One vendor told me directly that while spikes as high as 95 watts of power draw through the PCIE connection are tolerated without issue, sustained power draw at that kind of level would likely cause damage. The pins and connectors are the most likely failure points - he didn’t seem concerned about the traces on the board as they had enough copper in the power plane to withstand the current.

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

"sustained power draw at that kind of level would likely cause damage"

Never said the contrary.

I'm just telling him what was said, and someone posted the context of it.

Why do you guys argue theory so much?  You have a hypothesis... next step is testing... not further theorizing, unless the testing methodology is being formulated.

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Why do you guys argue theory so much?  You have a hypothesis... next step is testing... not further theorizing, unless the testing methodology is being formulated.

People who do not understand electricity and how it works argue about theory.

People who DO understand electricity and how it works argue against their flawed theory.

The rest of us is shitposting and providing fuel to the fire.

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

why stop the fun now? 

giphy (1).gif

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

People who do not understand electricity and how it works argue about theory.

People who DO understand electricity and how it works argue against their flawed theory.

The rest of us is shitposting and providing fuel to the fire.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

why stop the fun now? 

Nevermind the power draw... that reference cooler, now that thing is shitty.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

its a reference cooler. Did you expect it to be made out of chrome and have your initials engraved in it?

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

meh it does the job, I could not care less about the ref cooler since they are all shit.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

22 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

It's said spikes under 95W is okay.

19 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Problem being that 95W sustain will more likely than not cause damage, that means somewhere under 95W average the motherboard can be damaged. One test showed an average of 88W being pulled, I'd wager that's enough to cause damage to the motherboard, not instantly, but it will show over time.

To add, yes I did misread the article in the beginning about peaks, you were correct about that.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

its a reference cooler. Did you expect it to be made out of chrome and have your initials engraved in it?

I want some $5 heat fucking pipes.... something other than some tiny aluminium block sitting on a copper slug.

10 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Never said the contrary.

I'm just telling him what was said, and someone posted the context of it.

you only quoted half of it, so I posted the rest, to keep it in context.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

No I was expecting gold and titanium :D 

11 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Not necessary if you can trounce half-baked theory with proven axioms.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

meh it does the job, I could not care less about the ref cooler since they are all shit.

I am surprised it is rated for 150W TDP.  :/

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

well almost every single GPU on the marked can go over their TDP without a OC.

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Not necessary if you can trounce half-baked theory with proven axioms.

If you never test, all the back and forth means shit.  ;)

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

it's actually 110W if you believe what AMD's people say

the ASIC, that's the GPU, is supposed to draw 110W of power

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Problem being that 95W sustain will more likely than not cause damage, that means somewhere under 95W average the motherboard can be damaged. One test showed an average of 88W being pulled, I'd wager that's enough to cause damage to the motherboard, not instantly, but it will show over time.

To add, yes I did misread the article in the beginning about peaks, you were correct about that.

I don't defend amd they're in the wrong. Apparently there could be a software patch to solve that, so I guess it's handled correctly. Let us see if the driver patch or whatever will solve it :)

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's actually 110W if you believe what AMD's people say

the ASIC, that's the GPU, is supposed to draw 110W of power

Cooler is still too shitty to recommend anyone buy it.  xD

This is a pretty big blow for AMD. Everyone was looking forward to a great value card, and all the reviews I have seen are really positive, and emphasize the value of the card. Unless AMD has a really good response to this, then the product will be kind of DOA.

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

Like it was said,  all of this could have been avoided if AMD just used a 8 pin connecter. But they had to have 6 pin and sound power efficient. AIB partners well negate this issue that's for sure and that's what matters.

Another reason to stop pre-ordering and buying products on launch day. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Cooler is still too shitty to recommend anyone buy it.  xD

it does the job, if you don't OC and most people will never ever look at a ref cooler when the none ref cards are out

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Cooler is still too shitty to recommend anyone buy it.

Except for sff cases maybe :)