GTX 1070: MSI 8X or GB G1

reystar

Hello guys, i am between those 2 cards and i can not decide, i like the design of the GB G1 a bit more but what holds me back is the issues that some people had with coil whine on almost all models of G1 cards...what you think?

There aren't many review yet for me to make a conclusive decision.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I doubt that anyone here would recommend the G1 over MSI's version.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

22 minutes ago, reystar said:

Hello guys, i am between those 2 cards and i can not decide, i like the design of the GB G1 a bit more but what holds me back is the issues that some people had with coil whine on almost all models of G1 cards...what you think?

Right... almost as if none of the reviewers for the MSI card mentioned whine.

Just go for the G1. Don't sweat about it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Right... almost as if none of the reviewers for the MSI card mentioned whine.

Just go for the G1. Don't sweat about it.

i dunno, just dont like that coil whine sound lol

2 minutes ago, reystar said:

i dunno, just dont like that coil whine sound lol

Then you better start praying, for any card can be affected regardless of the model.

As I said, go for the G1.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I would say go for MSI it's quieter and looks better.

1 minute ago, Vortez said:

I say go for MSI it's quieter and looks better.

i dunno yet, cant decide but i will pick MSI most likely, i have the MSI 960 on my HTPC and im very happy with it, plus the orange color on G1 is weird. still cant decide

2 minutes ago, reystar said:

i dunno yet, cant decide but i will pick MSI most likely, i have the MSI 960 on my HTPC and im very happy with it, plus the orange color on G1 is weird. still cant decide

It's only a tiny piece of orange that you'll most likely not even see, if that's your concearn...

Honestly, don't buy MSI's 1080. They did a great job with the cooler, sure, but so did everyone else. With the difference that other brands aren't faking reviews with different Bioses than retail and I'm rioting them for that reason alone. Feel free to support them regardless, if you judge it worth your money.

Msi gets my vote. Even though the g1 also has custom pcb, the single 8 pin is still questionable to me.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

MSI get my vote too for 2 reason: the 6+8 pins and the backplate which I'm more likely to see all the time compare to the cooler itself, and the G1 backplate is just awful looking... 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X review. In my opinion MSI is better card than gigabyte.

The 970 G1 is an amazing card... I can only imagine the 1070 keeping up to that high standard of great overclocking, cooling and board design. Someone last night posted about about their G1 1070 and said they love it. Go check out the thread. 

Gigabyte also recently announced an Xtreme version of the 1070 but that will cost more and has a thicker cooler. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

10 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Msi gets my vote. Even though the g1 also has custom pcb, the single 8 pin is still questionable to me.

Why do you think the 8 pin is questionable? What is the negative of the card only having a single 8 pin? Less performance?

13 hours ago, reystar said:

i have the 1070 G1,

No Coil Whine during gaming even in games like csgo that run around 400fps.

i only have noticeable coil whine in super high frames rate loading screens.

1 hour ago, tom11 said:

Why do you think the 8 pin is questionable? What is the negative of the card only having a single 8 pin? Less performance?

people need to stop about the single 8 pin cards lol, it really doesn't matter. it might matter if you're planning on using custom bios and voltages..

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

1 hour ago, tom11 said:

Power throttling and stuttering issues. One of our members here found out that the strix 970 had those issues. Along with gpu usage drops. 

Will need to wait and see some indepth testing on the G1.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Get the Sapphire firepro variant (herd it's the best)

Spoiler

:D I had to

MSI...when in doubt...go with MSI. They never disappoint, especially the gaming series of GPU's the twinfrozr cooler always been epic on those.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR